Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Audi rant

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Zeld4

Audi rant

Post by Zeld4 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:54 pm

dr_john wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:33 pm Yes, it seems that I have to commit to £1800 to find out what is wrong, at which point they may decide it's not a warranty item and I am then liable to the £1800 plus what ever it costs to fix it.

On a brighter note, we did get an A3 out of them this afternoon.

Vorsprung durch technik or whatever.
What you paid it?!!! If the gearbox and engine are under warranty how can they even begin to ask for the money? I'd be in the dealers making a huge scene if I was asked for money when I have a full warranty.

shawna

Audi rant

Post by shawna » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:23 pm

I am in the motor trade and shell out quite a few bucks to sort out problems in the warranty period.

How can a simple diagnositc cost 1800??????

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:10 am

No I haven't paid anything yet. Audi are going ahead just on my verbal instruction over the phone.

They do have the car however......
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:01 am

shawna wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:23 pm I am in the motor trade and shell out quite a few bucks to sort out problems in the warranty period.

How can a simple diagnositc cost 1800??????
£1800 is for stripping the gearbox down to find the exact fault. 11 hours labour.

I did question the need to do this if they are sure that the gearbox is f*cked but it fell on deaf ears.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Audi rant

Post by mr wilks » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:32 am

Woeful failure rate on Audi multitronic boxes & almost predictable failure rate on their DSGs ( it really is when & not if they will need attention :cry: )
The only 3 VAG autos ive ever owned ( used private sales ) i made sure had gearbox work already done & this tale only confirms my severe distrust of any main dealer whether Audi , Bmw or Mercedes .
They're just franchised cash machines set up to make the maximum return from sales or service :thumbsdown:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by TitanTim » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:10 am

Have you gone through the warranty terms and conditions and fine print to see what the exclusions are. I would pen a letter to the dealer principle copying Audi head office in. Surely if the car has a full Audi service history and with the low mileage it has they shouldn't even be questioning undertaking the work. Whats the point of the warranty ? looks like there isn't any. You will probably have to fight tooth and nail and then they will relent and ask you to pay half :roll:

Have to admit this is the reason why I went for a manual as good as the Auto is in the M140 etc they are known to whine at times etc and eye wateringly costly to fix.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Audi rant

Post by pvr » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:35 am

Mine was a manual by the way ...

The terms state that they are not allowed to replace unless they have proven it to be faulty. That would cost in my case almost 3k to analyse
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Bluecat

Audi rant

Post by Bluecat » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 am

I owned a 2008 TT dsg in 2011 which developed a gearbox problem and took it to my local main dealers. I was told that this came under the warranty. To check most things diagnostically they just plug the car in, they did this and nothing came up. I then took the service tech guy out in the car who agreed there was a problem, he tod me the last test they could do was to check for water in the gearbox??? When I asked how this was possible he said that the gearbox has its own radiator and that this was not an uncommon problem. This came back as positive and as the car was under warranty they repaced the whole unit (nb cost would have been around £9k) What are they doing for £1800 diagnostically?? and if the car is under warranty it should be covered. Also legally goods have to be of merchantible quality and arguably 20,000 miles on a 3 year old gearbox is not great.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks a lot guys for your wise suggestions.

I was at the dealer's yesterday and they do seem more helpful and sympathetic. I think that our conversation with Audi customer service and their subsequent talk to the service department manager has had some effect. They have even given my wife a courtesy car, which they said was out of the question earlier in the week.

We have to wait now and see what the results of the gearbox strip down reveals, at that point I'll put into action some of your suggestions if necessary.

Cheers :thumbsup:

John

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by MACK » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 pm

Surely if a gearbox is covered, from your point of view all they need to do is identify the fault is with the transmission. At this point the warranty should be kicking in as it doesn't matter from your perspective what the actual fault is. That's between the dealer and the warranty company yo sort out. If its covered its covered doesnt matter which actual bit internally is goosed. Its has been said it's the dealer that's on the hook from a consumer protections point of view. The onus is on the dealer not you to prove it's wasn't there at the point if sale. Sounds like they're trying to limit their exposure at your potential expense rather than accepting their responsibilities.

No surprise main dealers are universally hated.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:26 pm

^ exactly the point I tried to make with the dealer. I didn't really get an answer.

Seems they are trying to prove that somehow we are at fault,

pvr
Legend
Legend

Audi rant

Post by pvr » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 am

My dealer said they had to prove if we had not ragged the car, hence having to pay for the disassembly of the gearbox.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Bing
Legend
Legend

Audi rant

Post by Bing » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:28 am

pvr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 am My dealer said they had to prove if we had not ragged the car, hence having to pay for the disassembly of the gearbox.
Not surprised you sold it then, having seen how you drive your cars :P

Next step for the OP should be contacting the CEOs of both the dealer network and Audi UK on the same email, if nothing is resolved. Hopefully they're having a change of heart though.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Rusky

Audi rant

Post by Rusky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:05 pm

I bought an Audi once and the main reason i would never do it again was due to the lack of customer service. Hope it gets sorted Op :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 am

It's been a while but finally sorted.

I can't even begin to explain what's gone on in the last 3 months, it would take too long, but we finally accepted a deal with Audi where we got a full retail price refund on the TT and a very generous part exchange deal on an A3 Sportback demonstrator (3 months old, 2000 miles).

So all has turned out well, it involved some hassle and the involvement of Audi UK head office, but my wife is tickled pink with her new motor so everyone is happy!