Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Audi rant

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:57 pm

My wife's Audi TT developed gearbox problems earlier this year (6 years old, 100k+ miles) so we had it fixed (at great expense) and 4 months ago turned it in for a 2014 auto TT with 20k miles. Nice and reliable, peace of mind. Ha!

Last week it ground to a halt with suspected gearbox failure. Horrified, but at least it was bought from Audi as 'Approved Used' with full service history and 12 months Audi warranty. Towed in to the local Audi dealer, they have taken 10 days to start looking at it and now demand £1800+ to diagnose the problem with a vague promise that 'it might be covered under the warranty'. I'm bloody livid, spoken to everybody I can think of at Audi, all I get is 'we'll call you back' and then nothing happens. We can't even get a courtesy car out of them.

Any ideas what to do next? :headbang:
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

rally-chris

Audi rant

Post by rally-chris » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm

I'd try to speak to Audi UK customer services next if the dealer is taking the piss.

You've had the car more than 30 days so you can't use the reject option under the consumer rights act, but even without the AU warranty from the supplying dealer the onus is on them to prove that a fault occurring within 6 months was not present at the time of sale.

"If a defect is found after 30 days, but within six months, buyers are entitled to request a repair, replacement or refund. The law assumes the fault was there at the time of delivery, unless the seller can prove it wasn’t."

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/ad ... -buy-a-car
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks Chris, we've already spoken with Audi customer services who spoke to the dealer without any real result.

Interesting what you say about existing defect, that may prove useful :thumbsup:

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by DPG » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:43 pm

its got 12 months Audi warranty. Why should you pay anything for diagnostics?

IRD

Audi rant

Post by IRD » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:48 pm

Contact Auto Express Magazine and tell them your story. Let Audi know that is what you are doing. Worth a try.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm

Did you pay for ANY part of the car on a credit card?

Mike

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 pm

DPG wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:43 pm its got 12 months Audi warranty. Why should you pay anything for diagnostics?
Quite!

We have found it depends who you talk to. Latest news is that the diagnostics will be covered provided that the fault can be fixed under warranty. It seems that the warranty covers most items apart from degradable items such as brakes, clutch etc, also any previous deviation from the Audi service schedule could invalidate the warranty. Since we bought 'approved used' with FSH, and a service interval has not occurred since we've had it there shouldn't be a problem. Its also more than a bit unsettling that this uncertainty is hanging about.

The main gripe is Audi's tardiness in getting anything done and a general attitude that we are a bloody nuisance and must take second place to customers parting with their cash rather than people like us. I'm sure the dealer gets compensated for the work done through the Audi warranty program so I don't see why this should be.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm Did you pay for ANY part of the car on a credit card?

Mike
No, cash deal.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:32 pm

dr_john wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:24 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm Did you pay for ANY part of the car on a credit card?

Mike
No, cash deal.
Shame.. For future reference, pay something on a credit card, even £1 - If you had done, this would now be down to the credit card company to sort out in full, to your satisfaction.. Section 75 consumer protection comes in very handy..

Mike

Paulr

Audi rant

Post by Paulr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Is it a DSG (semi auto)gearbox? Only consolation I can give is that you are not alone. I would not buy a VAG group car with a DSG box without a serious warranty.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

EssexZed

Audi rant

Post by EssexZed » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:36 pm

IRD wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:48 pm Contact Auto Express Magazine and tell them your story. Let Audi know that is what you are doing. Worth a try.
I second this suggestion. I subscribe to Auto Express and read about problems like this every week. Usually the intervention of the journal helps to get the issue remedied to the satisfaction of the owner - worth a try.

srhutch

Audi rant

Post by srhutch » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:55 pm

PVR had similar issues with an Audi gearbox a few months back from memory, and with similar response from Audi.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:06 pm

You do wonder the point of buying an approved used car, my only experience is with BMW that the cars are not really prepared to any standard over above a back street garage apart from them having a full BMW service history which means they sit of the forecourt 100% perfect :roll:

Hope it gets sorted.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Audi rant

Post by pvr » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:15 pm

srhutch wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:55 pm PVR had similar issues with an Audi gearbox a few months back from memory, and with similar response from Audi.
Indeed, almost the same story except they wanted £6k in advance and "might" get it back from Audi. I did not take the gamble and sold the car instead. They were horrible to deal with, no calls indeed and false promises. Put me off the make for life now, their loss.

48k miles on the car.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Audi rant

Post by dr_john » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Yes, it seems that I have to commit to £1800 to find out what is wrong, at which point they may decide it's not a warranty item and I am then liable to the £1800 plus what ever it costs to fix it.

On a brighter note, we did get an A3 out of them this afternoon.

Vorsprung durch technik or whatever.