Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Public Information Announcement

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Don't say I don't help you all...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgOybc8Jdoo

Please ensure your curtains are drawn or find the nearest ditch :thumbsup:

Tim.

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 pm

I grew up about a mile away from a chemical plant. They had an emergency/fire siren just like this one. They tested it every Tuesday late afternoon. I spent years of my childhood thinking we were all about to be wiped out in a nuclear war on a weekly basis !
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:53 pm

NickDE wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 pm I grew up about a mile away from a chemical plant. They had an emergency/fire siren just like this one. They tested it every Tuesday late afternoon. I spent years of my childhood thinking we were all about to be wiped out in a nuclear war on a weekly basis !
I bet you never left home :)

Until a few years ago the Counties police headquarters was just up the road from where I currently live and they had one of the large WW2 air raid sirens ontop of the roof which used to be tested well into the 80's, had exactly the same siren sound. Its all been knocked down now so my only chance of a warning has been dashed :?

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Broadmoor "Hospital" have one that they test every Monday at 10.00.

I live a good 3 miles away but can still hear it indoors with the windows shut - reminds me it's time for Homes Under the Hammer! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:05 pm Broadmoor "Hospital" have one that they test every Monday at 10.00.

I live a good 3 miles away but can still hear it indoors with the windows shut - reminds me it's time for Homes Under the Hammer! :lol:
Why do they test it every Monday at 10.00? Why not Tues at 11.00 :?

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:30 pm

TitanTim wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 pmWhy do they test it every Monday at 10.00? Why not Tues at 11.00

Tim.
I've no idea, but I've often thought that would be the ideal time for any of the "patients" to make a break for it! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:30 pm
TitanTim wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 pmWhy do they test it every Monday at 10.00? Why not Tues at 11.00

Tim.
I've no idea, but I've often thought that would be the ideal time for any of the "patients" to make a break for it! :lol:
Or to give you warning they've actually got out :lol:

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:47 pm

We don't give the nuclear alert sirens a second thought. There was once at west Lancs golf club, that went off regularly when we were at school and these days there is one on the roof of the building I work in in the dockyard. Seriously loud. :D :thumbsup: Not a lot of point worrying about stuff you have no control over. :wink:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:30 am

TitanTim wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 pmOr to give you warning they've actually got out

Tim.
Exactly - at 10.00 on a Monday nobody would take any notice!

I think the idea of the siren was to allow everyone local (especially schools) to "batten down the hatches" so to speak.

Mind you a couple of years ago it all went horribly wrong when a repeater siren in Bracknell developed a fault and went off around midnight - it took nearly 4 hours to shut it down! :rofl:

Thankfully I live in the other side of Broadmoor. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:56 am

[quote="Mr Tidy" post_id=1468736 time=1506123014 user_id=16906

Exactly - at 10.00 on a Monday nobody would take any notice
[/quote]

I worked in sour gas and we had really loud alarm horns, tested at the same time on a regular basis..... and we had an alarm at 12:15 , the same time as our testing schedule but a different day , everyone ignored it . It took a few minutes of frantic radio messages and operators yelling at people before the truth hit home. If it had been a gas leak it could have been catastrophic, thankfully it was a minor problem so we got lucky that time.
Don't ever ignore alarms, they might be real.!
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:33 am

buzyg wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:47 pm We don't give the nuclear alert sirens a second thought. There was once at west Lancs golf club, that went off regularly when we were at school and these days there is one on the roof of the building I work in in the dockyard. Seriously loud. :D :thumbsup: Not a lot of point worrying about stuff you have no control over. :wink:
When I moved down here I didn't realise there was one at the dockyard. Freaked me right out when I first heard them testing it sat at home :cry:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:01 am

I've heard that our Gov't are currently looking at doing some new public information films in light of the current goings on but I fear they might not be in time if fatty tests his thermo nuclear device over the Pacific any day now, especially if it veers of course :?

Besides I don't know why they can't just use the ones from the 70's :)

Tim.

EssexZed

Post by EssexZed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:13 am

mcbeee wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:56 am [quote="Mr Tidy" post_id=1468736 time=1506123014 user_id=16906

Exactly - at 10.00 on a Monday nobody would take any notice
I worked in sour gas and we had really loud alarm horns, tested at the same time on a regular basis..... and we had an alarm at 12:15 , the same time as our testing schedule but a different day , everyone ignored it . It took a few minutes of frantic radio messages and operators yelling at people before the truth hit home. If it had been a gas leak it could have been catastrophic, thankfully it was a minor problem so we got lucky that time.
Don't ever ignore alarms, they might be real.!
[/quote]

Reading this I was reminded of an occurrence that showed that detailed planning and preparation for responding to emergencies can be thwarted by very simple things. Some years ago my wife worked on the switchboard for a local authority. A day was marked for a full rehearsal of their major disaster response plan. At the appointed time the alert was raised and all the various departmental reps rushed to the 'war' room in the council headquarters only to find the door locked and nobody knew where the key was! All I can think of is god help us if anything like this happens for real - that's why Dad's Army was so popular, it's because it parodies real life :rofl:

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:01 pm

:rofl: we had three different alarms in our Main office at the plant I worked at. One of the alarms went off and we went to check it out.... no one in the office had left the building, no one had mustered ....they all just continued whatever they were doing because......... they didn't know what the noise was. !!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)