Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sports car insurance - only paying when you actually use the car...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
breezer

Post by breezer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Morning All,

I've recently sold my Z4MC due to a change of career, and in order to afford another I need to get some traction on this project!

My team and I are working on a project in the insurance industry, setting up a car insurance broker with a difference.

Basically, if you have car that you rarely use and get annoyed at having to pay fully comprehensive insurance while it's garaged, we believe we'll be able to save you money!

You'll only pay for in-garage (theft + damage) and third party protection year round, then on days you want to use the car you'll simply pay a small, fixed (and agreed at the beginning of the policy), per-day fully comprehensive fee to cover you for 24 hours. This is likely to require simply tapping a button in our app, or on a physical keyring. We'll then instantly confirm that you have fully comprehensive insurance for that day.

Alternatively we're looking at a mileage rebate model - you pay for a 5k (or 7k) limited mileage policy as usual, but you get a rebate for miles you don't cover. We can do this because lower miles = lower risk, and our back office systems will be flexible enough to account for this change in risk levels.

While we’re all here, we’re keen to hear your views on which of these options you prefer.

Anyway, if this may be of interest please head over to our website, http://www.veterisauto.com , to register your interest (you're just signing up to receive updates at this stage) and save 5% off your first annual premium.

If you have any questions or comments, we'd love to hear them. You can ask us here, or find us on Facebook.

I hope this is okay with mods - we're gauging interest, not selling anything yet and I thought it could help a lot of you with 'occasional use' sports cars.

Warm regards,
Team Veteris

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:28 pm

I'd rather only pay for bloody road tax on the days I use it :rofl:

Think I only pay about £260 for my M/// what sort of savings are we looking at?
A Dirty M///

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:29 pm

Hmm, the penalty could be huge for simply forgetting to phone in! I can see that fact being rather off putting :cry:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Post by sticky » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:50 pm

I think pay for 5 or 7K then rebate would be simpler, no app needed but yearly or random mileage check, and then depends on price, currently paying £231 pa. As mentioned above, road tax per miles would be better I think it may be on the way in form of fuel tax added.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:01 pm

That sounds like a really interesting idea OP. :thumbsup:

If only I had a garage I'd have been interested. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ShaunKC

Post by ShaunKC » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:07 pm

I think it sounds like a good idea, although personally I would only be interested in the rebate model.

Previous: Z4C 2007 Montego Blue // Current: Z4MC 2008 Sepang Bronze // Instagram: ayorkshirechap

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Yorkie Z wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:28 pm I'd rather only pay for bloody road tax on the days I use it :rofl:

Think I only pay about £260 for my M/// what sort of savings are we looking at?
This, £206 pa for insurance, but over £500 for VED, that’s my issue.

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:08 pm

An interesting proposition and I would defiantly be interested.

Would you be looking at agreed value policies too?
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Great idea, also look at people with multiple cars. I can only drive one at a time but I pay for all of them for all the time..... :thumbsup:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:28 pm

If you are going to be charged daily for using your car what would the daily rate be?
Off the top of my head I would think £10 a day sounds good but if you were to use it only at weekends 6 months of the year that would cost over £500. Which really wouldnt be worth it.
Realistically though how cheap could a daily charge be to make it worth while for both parties.
If its a car thats used once or twice a year it could be ok but not for something used regularly at weekends.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

breezer

Post by breezer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 am

Thank you for the feedback chaps - I'm envious about how cheap some of your insurance is!

The daily rates will depend on the car and driver combo, but we envisage them being quite cheap.

We'd like to offer this as an enthusiasts policy, so agreed valuations would be included, along with other perks that we're used to like choice of garage etc. Nothing is finalised, but picture this like a normal policy with the additional benefit of not paying for unused time or mileage.

Many people have expressed the fear of forgetting. We'd either make it virtually impossible, or head down the unused mileage rebate route. We'd also like to offer a combined mileage for your fleet, so you can use it on any car you own.

Mister T

Post by Mister T » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Very interesting idea, but I can't really see this working without it being a telematics based solution (which I personally would be keen on).

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Its going to always come down to price, my Elise only cost me £260 full comp for me and my partner as a named driver, I can't see there being much of a saving on that to make it worth while.

Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:14 pm

I think you will find this is aimed at the "younger" driver, the people which have posted already clearly are "of and age" like myself and pay a modest insurance premium, where this system would win is for people who are younger or have loaded insurance for other reasons and pay a higher yearly figure.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Agree it would be more aimed at people paying £500+, but just as a general point a rebate model rather then a pay as you drive would be far more attractive in my eyes. Love the multi-car add on bit.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.