Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Watches, questions for the "addicts" lol..

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 pm

enzed4 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 am
Zoomer wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:47 pm Not on navitimers. Don't think but on the cheaper ones ( colts etc) I think they do.
Cheaper? You obviously haven't checked out the Airwolf Raven :P . This is one lovely but very overpriced quartz. Don't know why, but I just love it.

And don't forget the Emergency series - quartz, expensive (but not to my taste really...)
10 yrs ago hunting my first "proper "watch I was against the quartz idea in principal but couldnt get the Bretling Aerospace off my want list , made the mistake of handling / trying one in Beaverbrooks & nothing else would do . Still my all time favourite even with a battery

I have to agree with you on the Omegas now RE the prices new ( same for Breitlings , Tags & most others i guess ) , great news if you already own or get chance of a good deal 2nd hand but topline a lot of money for what was initially a third of todays price :cry:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:01 pm

mr wilks wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 pm
I have to agree with you on the Omegas now RE the prices new ( same for Breitlings , Tags & most others i guess ) , great news if you already own or get chance of a good deal 2nd hand but topline a lot of money for what was initially a third of todays price :cry:
But a lot of models from those brands now have inhouse movements instead of (back then) often an ETA/Valjoux.
Take for instance the watch out of the TS. That has an ETA2892 with Dubois-Depraz module on it. Not very refined tech to say the least.
Current omega automatic chrono's have (I think) all column wheel chrono's with vertical clutch, which is much more refined from a horological pov.
Last edited by GuidoK on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:26 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:01 pm
mr wilks wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 pm
But a lot of models from those brands now have inhouse movements instead of (back then) often an ETA/Valjoux.
Take for instance the watch out of the TS. That has an ETA2892 with Dubois-Depraz module on it. Not very refined tech to say the least.
Current omega chrono's have (I think) all column wheel chrono's with vertical clutch, which is much more refined from a horological pov.
I was generalising as when i bought my Breitling Aero new in 2007 it was around £1200 / at the time a Omega Speedmaster was a bit less new . Now both are around £3000 , quite some jump in 10 years & imo you aren't getting any major improvement that would be noticeable to the buyer / owner ?
As i said its great if you already own but no way would i pay £3k for a Breitling or Omega but that's purely my opinion & the reason why i purchased a Oris BC4 2 weeks ago :wink: same swiss quality build & style but without bigname fanboy tax added on
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Too true Mr Wilks, a secondhand navi or planet ocean can be roughly the cost of a good e85 roadie now!
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Zoomer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:10 pm Too true Mr Wilks, a secondhand navi or planet ocean can be roughly the cost of a good e85 roadie now!
Quite a achievement when you think about it , a tough 10yrs with little growth in wages or house prices , most everyday items have stayed roughly the same & some (Tvs , white goods , sofas , clothes , holidays etc ) have even become cheaper yet luxury items like watches that to my mind should cost roughly the same to produce have been cranked up year on year to 3 X what they were 10 yrs ago :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti