Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Would you sell

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Would you sell

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm

I’d certainly condense to 1 car given the mileage and in any event not 2 sports cars.
Cayman is a great car and am sure you’ll enjoy it, but similar to others I’ve never beeen a porker fan. That’s the personal choice decision
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

andyfanshawe

Would you sell

Post by andyfanshawe » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 pm

Taz wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:54 am having 1 car makes more sense but I don't like porkers so its personal choice
I've got 5!

Youngest is 11 years old (Z4 and my trusty fiesta).
Camaro 26 years old.
Crown vic 27 years old
Jag x type estate (not dirty diesel..yuk) 12 years old.

Who needs new cars? Not me.

Andy.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Would you sell

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 pm

andyfanshawe wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 pm
Way too many BMW's coming through my workshop doors over last few months. Same problems everytime (almost!). Fickle fragile little beasts they are. Although LR discovery/freelanders give them a run for their money!!

Andy.
That's interesting OP - could you maybe expand on that a bit, for the benefit of those of us who still love our BMWs?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

andyfanshawe

Would you sell

Post by andyfanshawe » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Without being too model specific, but i'll try.....
1 series (including 2013, 2014 models) and others, timing chains, differential that make horrible noises, ABS reluctor/toothed wheels that corrode and expand and rub the end off the abs sensors (including Z4), any model BMW with valvetronic motors (now down to < £285 at the dealers), vanos seals, window motor regulators, usual Z4 sticky steering, ABS/DSC modules on a lot of models, usual DISA, Many, many vacuum leaks (usually from PCV system hose deterioration), lollipop bushes. Having a run on E85/86 z4 starter motors at the moment, but the cars are getting old now!!

I went over to Warrington recently, over pennines from me, to see a 2012 1 series 116i. Not a short journey, and it was horrible (the journey and the car). Written off twice in first year and a half of its life, 4 different tyres, all 4 alloys kerbed, drivetrain fault and in limited power mode (didn't find out why), interior worn to hell, seats faded, rear discs well worn (but seller said "it passed an MOT with them"). Even the key fob was worn and tatty. And only done 49000 miles apparently.

There are undoubtedly really good ones out there, but I only see the poorly ones. Gives a very biased impression in my head, which is sometimes hard to get rid of.

I can understand why people buy them though. Quite attractive and generate loyal followers.

Shall I buy another BMW? Never say never, but probably not.
i get asked many, many times what reliable car I would recommend buying since I am in the trade. My answer?...... None. Get a pushbike instead. :wink:

Andy.

Paulr

Would you sell

Post by Paulr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 pm

I have the Z4 , but as I tow, carry 16 foot open boats, and tons of wet kayaking gear for me and Scouts, I need an older bigger 4x4. If I could find a way of carrying the boats on the Zed I could get rid of the Sata Fe.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Paulr

Would you sell

Post by Paulr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:13 pm

I have the Z4 , but as I tow, carry 16 foot open boats, and tons of wet kayaking gear for me and Scouts, I need an older bigger 4x4. If I could find a way of carrying the boats on the Zed I could get rid of the Sata Fe.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Angelus666

Would you sell

Post by Angelus666 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Given how little mileage you're doing then why not an M Coupe...got to be more interesting for those 4k miles than the Cayman....but maybe not the 'better' car.

Havard

Would you sell

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:04 pm Given how little mileage you're doing then why not an M Coupe...got to be more interesting for those 4k miles than the Cayman....but maybe not the 'better' car.
This..!! Having both has certainly opened my eyes. Looking forward to getting out in the M tomorrow.

H.
ImageImage

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Would you sell

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:57 pm

andyfanshawe wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 pmWithout being too model specific, but i'll try.....
1 series (including 2013, 2014 models) and others, timing chains, differential that make horrible noises, ABS reluctor/toothed wheels that corrode and expand and rub the end off the abs sensors (including Z4), any model BMW with valvetronic motors (now down to < £285 at the dealers), vanos seals, window motor regulators, usual Z4 sticky steering, ABS/DSC modules on a lot of models, usual DISA, Many, many vacuum leaks (usually from PCV system hose deterioration), lollipop bushes. Having a run on E85/86 z4 starter motors at the moment, but the cars are getting old now!!

I went over to Warrington recently, over pennines from me, to see a 2012 1 series 116i. Not a short journey, and it was horrible (the journey and the car). Written off twice in first year and a half of its life, 4 different tyres, all 4 alloys kerbed, drivetrain fault and in limited power mode (didn't find out why), interior worn to hell, seats faded, rear discs well worn (but seller said "it passed an MOT with them"). Even the key fob was worn and tatty. And only done 49000 miles apparently.

There are undoubtedly really good ones out there, but I only see the poorly ones. Gives a very biased impression in my head, which is sometimes hard to get rid of.

I can understand why people buy them though. Quite attractive and generate loyal followers.

Shall I buy another BMW? Never say never, but probably not.
i get asked many, many times what reliable car I would recommend buying since I am in the trade. My answer?...... None. Get a pushbike instead.

Andy.
Thanks, that is interesting!

But then I had to put a new radiator in a 7 year old MKII RS2000.

And a new (mechanical) water pump in a Capri 2.8i at 8 years old.

Plus a new ECU for the "drive by wire" accelerator on a C280 Mercedes at 7 years old.

So outside of the warranty they can all be potential disasters - mind you I am still glad I sold my 123d at 81K miles before the cam-chain failed (as that was before BMW started paying for them)!

To be fair the 116i you went to see sounds like a shed, but that seems to be more down to the owners than the manufacturer. :lol:

By way of comparison my E46 made it to 13 years old before it needed a radiator, and my first E86 got to 10 years before the (electric) water pump died!

BMWs are no worse for failures than others, but IME they seem to last a bit longer before it happens!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Would you sell

Post by TitanTim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 am

Keep both and get another car :)

Tim.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Would you sell

Post by MACK » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 am

Test drive and go from there really, see how you feel then.

There's no doubt the Boxster/Cayman are better to drive, but that comes at a cost both in terms of initial outlay and ongoing cost. Its years since I drove either a Z4M or a 987s. One thing I seem to remember is the Z4M seemed to have a bit more grunt, particularly low down the revs.
I'm not sure that I share the sentiment that the Cayman will hold their valve long term either. The early ones are starting to dip under £10k and I know that they can have engine issues that hopefully wont blight the 987 Gen 2 ones, but the real question is how low will they go. Will they follow the original Boxster into absolute peanuts territory for example.
Another thing I would consider is holding off another 12 months or so and the start thinking 718 instead.

Can I ask why not sell the Audi anyway and just use the Z4M with such a low combined mileage. Probably do it some good to have a bit more regular use and if the Audi's value is still heading south bank the cash for future use.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Would you sell

Post by paddy wright » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 pm

My z has been my baby for nearly 10 years and I'll never sell. Depends on your situation but for the small value in a z I would never consider parting with mine despite doing about 1K a year in him!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

LeeZ4MR
Lifer
Lifer

Would you sell

Post by LeeZ4MR » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 pm

I think I`d keep the two you have because its nice to swap and change, having just one car no matter how special it is can lose its specialness if its used day in day out, or you don't have anything to compare it to.
Current...BMW F82 M4 Coupe 2018
370Z Roadster 2011
Merc GLE400d 2022
Caterham 7 2002

Previous...
640d 2012
330i 2006
Z4MR 2006
E92 M3 2009
X5 4.8iS 2004
TVR Cerbera 4.5