Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Final endind and conclusions on BMW dash cam.

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Like everything that has happened to me since I bought my Z4, I have finally closed another chapter and yet again the road from simple concept of requirement to completion of the project has left me understanding the complexities of planning an invasion of Russia? (any Russian members please forgive me).

Its easier if I summarise the long road of events and then voice my conclusions and advice (laugh) at the end. I am fully equipped with sufficient alcohol for the epic journey and for those of you who fall accidentally fall asleep whilst deciphering my inane ramblings I apologise in advance (even though I don't care at all..... so forget the apology.... but at least I tried)

SUMMARY.

1. I bought the Nextbase 412GW dash cam + Cam case + Nextbase cam hardwire kit. Total cost £138

2. Being totally obsessed about my newly aquired pride and joy (e89 Z4 35is) and not wanting some local garage person full of good will and good intentions but lacking any discernible knowledge of anything more advanced than a Ford Anglia loose on my car I asked my local BMW dealer to fit the Nextbase into my Z4. The reply was an emphatic NO! we will only fit the BMW Advanced Car Eye to your vehicle.

3. Tested the Nextbase 412GW in my car while it was plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the front of the centre console and absolutely loved it.

4. Having got fed up having wires dangling down in the front of my car I enquired with four (well respected) local car electricians. The quotes ranged from £40 and £180 from three of the companies (term used loosely) and the only honest one said "The job is far too complicated for us to even consider".

5. More contact with my local BMW dealer who this time asked me to drop the instructions for the hard wire kit off to him and he would try his best to get the workshop manager to do it so I dropped off the instructions to him.

6. After hearing nothing for three days I contacted them and was informed that the guy I had spoken to was on holiday so I asked to speak to another service advisor. I was connected with another service advisor and after explaining my requirements I was surprisingly given a quote of £155 but I would have to wait three weeks for fitting.

7. Waited a few days until my service advisor came back from holiday and then called him.

8. He agreed that they would fit the Nextbase for £228? This stupidly prompted me to mention my earlier quote I had been given of £155 for fitting. This was greeted at first with silence and then I was again told that they will not fit the cam to my car because it would invalidate my warranty. (not previously mentioned)

9. Sat alone at home and sulking at my demise I decided to resort to brandy?

10. Several glasses later I decided to bite the bullet and have the BMW cam fitted.

11. Contact the dealers to be told that my service advisor was yet again on holiday. Suffering from total frustration (and a severe hangover) I asked to speak to someone else. (big mistake). They put me through to a nice man called Robert who after firstly telling me that the BMW Advanced Car Eye system can't be fitted to a Z4 suddenly changed his mind when I started screaming down the phone at him. Yes we can fit the front only cam for £328 sir? Its £299 fitted it says on your website I said.............. No sir its £328 fitted for the front cam only and £399 for both front and rear cams fitted. I ended the conversation by putting the phone down. (as I am hi tech I mean pushing that red button)

12. Following day (suffering now an even worse hangover and on the point of losing the will to live) I drove to the dealers to book my car in for the camera whatever the cost. My service advisor was again back off his day off and after explaining what I wanted he said yes that will be £299 fitted. Being past the point of caring I said "don't you mean £328 like I was quoted yesterday". Needless to say after a lot of desk banging (from him not me) my car was booked in for fitting the cam at £299.

13. Yesterday at 8.15am I dropped my car off at said dealers and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was given a 17 Reg X1? as a courtesy car?

14. Yesterday at 4.50pm I took the X1 back and I can honestly say that I have never been as happy to get out of a car as I was at that moment.

15. Driving home in my car I thought several times that it was strange that the screen was black? Power saving I thought?

16. Upon arriving home I realised that the power connector was not even plugged into the cam and, surprise surprise when I plugged in the power supply the cam came on? (BMW technicians please take note).

17 Arriving home I stupidly opened the box to find the instruction book (don't bother its useless) and found the rear camera in the box? Now I was there when my service advisor ordered the cam and he definitely ordered a front facing single cam kit.

Quick impressions are that the Nextbase 412GW is far better than the Advanced Car Eye but I will leave a full comparison of them both at a later date when I get over the trauma of this session.

Another strange feature about the BMW cam is that it is fixed in the car. By that I mean you can remove the camera from its mount but only if you have fingers that are more than five inches long, are no thicker in diameter than a knitting needle and can exert a turning force in excess of 100ftllbs per square inch. instead of the usual suction mount found with all the usual dash cams, the BMW cam has its mount glued to the windscreen. This leaves a very tiny access gap to the adjustment screw hence the need to have fingers like Edward scissor hands?

Pros and cons of BMW Advanced Car Eye

Pros
It doesn't invalidate your BMW warranty.

Once installed you can forget about it until you are involved in an incident. It switches on, records and reverts to parking mode automatically. The only other maintenance is to format the sd card every so often when the camera tells you it needs formatting.

The on-board software is equipped with the ability to monitor battery drain and shut down the camera hence the different lengths of time parking mode operates on the camera. This therefore avoids battery drain notifications that have to be reset by a dealership.

Cons
The quality of the video footage is acceptable but not brilliant. Certainly nowhere near as good as the nextbase 412GW I had fitted.

The sound quality is abysmal to say the least but as I tend to have bouts of verbal road rage (my verbal road rage does contain actual real grown up swearing) when I encounter people that couldn't drive a nail into a piece of wood with a three pound hammer let alone drive a car, so the awful sound quality is of benefit to me.

The camera mount being glued to the windscreen is definitely an issue as it makes the camera almost impossible to remove from the car.

The camera is equipped with a separate GPS ariel which is also glued to the windscreen. Incorrect positioning of the ariel can cause problems with sat nav operation if you have sat nav fitted in your car.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Sounds like a total PITA

Having been involved in a collision in my other car last week and experienced a lot of related stress i'll be installing the nextbase duo hd in my Z very soon.

This talk of invalidated warranty is nonsense. What precisely would it invalidate? The fuse box? A joke.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Just had a 512GW (dash cam, 16gb SD, carry case, hard wire kit) installed in my Z4MC...by Halfords...£175 including fitting (with a 10% off voucher from BMW Car Club).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

ric19

Post by ric19 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I fitted a nextbase in mine, ran the cable along the top of the screen down the A pillar and then down the rubber seal of the door, took the panel off under the glovebox and that got me to the transmission tunnel so I pushed it up under the edge to get me to the under elbow cubby and then fed it round and up and plugged into the cig lighter, this is the only part that visible

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Sad old man, it does beg the question what do you want for your discarded 412GW camera?
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Unfortunately the 412GW was returned to Amazon but I still do have the brand new Nextbase hard wiring kit which I believe fits all Nextbase cams and a brand new carry case if anyone wants them. Just let me have a delivery address and I will post them off.

sad_old_man

Post by sad_old_man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:58 pm

ric19 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm I fitted a nextbase in mine, ran the cable along the top of the screen down the A pillar and then down the rubber seal of the door, took the panel off under the glovebox and that got me to the transmission tunnel so I pushed it up under the edge to get me to the under elbow cubby and then fed it round and up and plugged into the cig lighter, this is the only part that visible
You did well to get the cig lighter power socket down that route? Apparently as dash cams become more popular to have BMW are facing a lot of service calls connected to problems caused when fitting the cams. Mainly some heavy handed fitters are disrupting cables that cause the warning lights to be activated on the dash. Auto wipers, airbags, auto lights and sat nav problems as well. Coupled with the fact that they are trying to offload their own Advanced Car Eye dash cam my local dealer said they would not honour my warranty. Now just looking for a way to fit the rear facing camera which I didn't pay for but is in the box?

Bumpy

Post by Bumpy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:34 pm

I believe I shared this before :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb7FDycTQaM

Wiring seems fairly straight forward.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:36 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:46 pm Unfortunately the 412GW was returned to Amazon but I still do have the brand new Nextbase hard wiring kit which I believe fits all Nextbase cams and a brand new carry case if anyone wants them. Just let me have a delivery address and I will post them off.
Righto. I'll have a look on amazon then as I need a new dash cam.

As for fitting a rear facing camera to your Zed, when I had my S2000 I mounted front and rear facing cameras back to back between the roll hoops. Both had a clear view of the road (and the speedo in the case of the forward facing camera :oops: ).
When I parked in dodgy places I just chucked a black tee shirt over them so they couldn't be seen from outside the car.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

ric19

Post by ric19 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:14 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:58 pm
ric19 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:28 pm I fitted a nextbase in mine, ran the cable along the top of the screen down the A pillar and then down the rubber seal of the door, took the panel off under the glovebox and that got me to the transmission tunnel so I pushed it up under the edge to get me to the under elbow cubby and then fed it round and up and plugged into the cig lighter, this is the only part that visible
You did well to get the cig lighter power socket down that route? Apparently as dash cams become more popular to have BMW are facing a lot of service calls connected to problems caused when fitting the cams. Mainly some heavy handed fitters are disrupting cables that cause the warning lights to be activated on the dash. Auto wipers, airbags, auto lights and sat nav problems as well. Coupled with the fact that they are trying to offload their own Advanced Car Eye dash cam my local dealer said they would not honour my warranty. Now just looking for a way to fit the rear facing camera which I didn't pay for but is in the box?
Ex BT engineer so had some practice running wires 😊

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:07 pm

The nextbase paid for itself last week, when some woman reversed into my car as I was coming out of a shopping centre.... video’d the lot. She paid up and was sorted within 5 days.
5FDADF47-A463-4368-BF46-C4DCF2887994.jpeg
5FDADF47-A463-4368-BF46-C4DCF2887994.jpeg (330.61 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:27 pm

1000rr wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:07 pm The nextbase paid for itself last week, when some woman reversed into my car as I was coming out of a shopping centre.... video’d the lot. She paid up and was sorted within 5 days.

5FDADF47-A463-4368-BF46-C4DCF2887994.jpeg
Off topic but is that winter rubber you have fitted - it’s early?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

1000rr

Post by 1000rr » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 pm

Yes, it’s been on all summer too!
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:05 pm

sad_old_man wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 pm Like everything that has happened to me since I bought my Z4, I have finally closed another chapter and yet again the road from simple concept of requirement to completion of the project has left me understanding the complexities of planning an invasion of Russia? (any Russian members please forgive me).

Its easier if I summarise the long road of events and then voice my conclusions and advice (laugh) at the end. I am fully equipped with sufficient alcohol for the epic journey and for those of you who fall accidentally fall asleep whilst deciphering my inane ramblings I apologise in advance (even though I don't care at all..... so forget the apology.... but at least I tried)

SUMMARY.

1. I bought the Nextbase 412GW dash cam + Cam case + Nextbase cam hardwire kit. Total cost £138

2. Being totally obsessed about my newly aquired pride and joy (e89 Z4 35is) and not wanting some local garage person full of good will and good intentions but lacking any discernible knowledge of anything more advanced than a Ford Anglia loose on my car I asked my local BMW dealer to fit the Nextbase into my Z4. The reply was an emphatic NO! we will only fit the BMW Advanced Car Eye to your vehicle.

3. Tested the Nextbase 412GW in my car while it was plugged into the cigarette lighter socket in the front of the centre console and absolutely loved it.

4. Having got fed up having wires dangling down in the front of my car I enquired with four (well respected) local car electricians. The quotes ranged from £40 and £180 from three of the companies (term used loosely) and the only honest one said "The job is far too complicated for us to even consider".

5. More contact with my local BMW dealer who this time asked me to drop the instructions for the hard wire kit off to him and he would try his best to get the workshop manager to do it so I dropped off the instructions to him.

6. After hearing nothing for three days I contacted them and was informed that the guy I had spoken to was on holiday so I asked to speak to another service advisor. I was connected with another service advisor and after explaining my requirements I was surprisingly given a quote of £155 but I would have to wait three weeks for fitting.

7. Waited a few days until my service advisor came back from holiday and then called him.

8. He agreed that they would fit the Nextbase for £228? This stupidly prompted me to mention my earlier quote I had been given of £155 for fitting. This was greeted at first with silence and then I was again told that they will not fit the cam to my car because it would invalidate my warranty. (not previously mentioned)

9. Sat alone at home and sulking at my demise I decided to resort to brandy?

10. Several glasses later I decided to bite the bullet and have the BMW cam fitted.

11. Contact the dealers to be told that my service advisor was yet again on holiday. Suffering from total frustration (and a severe hangover) I asked to speak to someone else. (big mistake). They put me through to a nice man called Robert who after firstly telling me that the BMW Advanced Car Eye system can't be fitted to a Z4 suddenly changed his mind when I started screaming down the phone at him. Yes we can fit the front only cam for £328 sir? Its £299 fitted it says on your website I said.............. No sir its £328 fitted for the front cam only and £399 for both front and rear cams fitted. I ended the conversation by putting the phone down. (as I am hi tech I mean pushing that red button)

12. Following day (suffering now an even worse hangover and on the point of losing the will to live) I drove to the dealers to book my car in for the camera whatever the cost. My service advisor was again back off his day off and after explaining what I wanted he said yes that will be £299 fitted. Being past the point of caring I said "don't you mean £328 like I was quoted yesterday". Needless to say after a lot of desk banging (from him not me) my car was booked in for fitting the cam at £299.

13. Yesterday at 8.15am I dropped my car off at said dealers and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was given a 17 Reg X1? as a courtesy car?

14. Yesterday at 4.50pm I took the X1 back and I can honestly say that I have never been as happy to get out of a car as I was at that moment.

15. Driving home in my car I thought several times that it was strange that the screen was black? Power saving I thought?

16. Upon arriving home I realised that the power connector was not even plugged into the cam and, surprise surprise when I plugged in the power supply the cam came on? (BMW technicians please take note).

17 Arriving home I stupidly opened the box to find the instruction book (don't bother its useless) and found the rear camera in the box? Now I was there when my service advisor ordered the cam and he definitely ordered a front facing single cam kit.

Quick impressions are that the Nextbase 412GW is far better than the Advanced Car Eye but I will leave a full comparison of them both at a later date when I get over the trauma of this session.

Another strange feature about the BMW cam is that it is fixed in the car. By that I mean you can remove the camera from its mount but only if you have fingers that are more than five inches long, are no thicker in diameter than a knitting needle and can exert a turning force in excess of 100ftllbs per square inch. instead of the usual suction mount found with all the usual dash cams, the BMW cam has its mount glued to the windscreen. This leaves a very tiny access gap to the adjustment screw hence the need to have fingers like Edward scissor hands?

Pros and cons of BMW Advanced Car Eye

Pros
It doesn't invalidate your BMW warranty.

Once installed you can forget about it until you are involved in an incident. It switches on, records and reverts to parking mode automatically. The only other maintenance is to format the sd card every so often when the camera tells you it needs formatting.

The on-board software is equipped with the ability to monitor battery drain and shut down the camera hence the different lengths of time parking mode operates on the camera. This therefore avoids battery drain notifications that have to be reset by a dealership.

Cons
The quality of the video footage is acceptable but not brilliant. Certainly nowhere near as good as the nextbase 412GW I had fitted.

The sound quality is abysmal to say the least but as I tend to have bouts of verbal road rage (my verbal road rage does contain actual real grown up swearing) when I encounter people that couldn't drive a nail into a piece of wood with a three pound hammer let alone drive a car, so the awful sound quality is of benefit to me.

The camera mount being glued to the windscreen is definitely an issue as it makes the camera almost impossible to remove from the car.

The camera is equipped with a separate GPS ariel which is also glued to the windscreen. Incorrect positioning of the ariel can cause problems with sat nav operation if you have sat nav fitted in your car.
The fitting of mine went a whole lot smoother than that - other than the disruption of the cars sat nav system ie the Euro maps wouldn’t load when I got off the ship in the Netherlands !
The problem was ( ref BMW) was the conflict of the Dash Cam Antenna and the cars Antenna - so, can I ask where they located the cameras please?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:17 am

You can pickup switched 12v from the rear view mirror housing so no need to run any wires more than a few cm. Makes for a very neat installation.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.