Battery Life

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Online
User avatar
ronk
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7968
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
Location: Durham

Battery Life

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 pm

How long do batteries last these days?

I’ve just had the original battery changed on our 335 - the car is now only 27months Old - they told me it’s an AGM and would have cost in the region of £250 inc calibration.

On the flip side - the old fashioned lead acid battery fitted to my first Z4 (2004 E85) and sold to a pal, is still going strong !

Progress eh? :rofl:
Last edited by ronk on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing !
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7909
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:52 pm

Battery Life

Post by Maniac » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:44 pm

MY e89 battery lasted 7 years. Life depends on how it’s used really. Temps, charge and discharge cycles etc.

I wouldn’t be happy at 2 years tho

Online
User avatar
Gaffa22
Member
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:31 am

Battery Life

Post by Gaffa22 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:57 pm

27months is poor for a good quality (or not in this case) battery.
I'd be asking for a new one on warranty
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

User avatar
mr wilks
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 16817
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Lancs or Normandy , i don't mind which

Battery Life

Post by mr wilks » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:09 pm

Just changed the AGM one in my 35i / 7yrs 50k / exact same one gone in as out (OE Varta ) £130 delivered so £250 is pure ballcocks even with the "programming " :cry:
My 10 x Z4s

E86
E85
Grey///MR
3.0Si E85
E89 23i
3.0Si E85
E86
3.0Si E85
Imola///MR
current 35i Msport 6spd :driving:


Image
https://www.instagram.com/andybmwheels/

Online
User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5731
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

Battery Life

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:13 pm

mr wilks wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:09 pm
Just changed the AGM one in my 35i / 7yrs 50k / exact same one gone in as out (OE Varta ) £130 delivered so £250 is pure ballcocks even with the "programming " :cry:
I think the programming is not strictly necessary, after all the replacement only has to last for more than 27months & you’re quids in!
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i which has apparently turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another
e85 3.0si-sold my trouble free car...

Online
User avatar
ronk
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 7968
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
Location: Durham

Battery Life

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Fortunately the new car warranty covered the replacement but if I’d had to pay i certainly not have paid £250 .
I think the reprogram is only if a unit with a different amp/hr rating is fitted.

I would guess the £250 costs they quote is an internal / between department charge .
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing !
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

User avatar
pvr
Legend
Legend
Posts: 22151
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: South East UK

Battery Life

Post by pvr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:04 pm

That is what I heard as well with the programming, i.e. without it on the newer cars, it would fry the battery. Not seen the proof (except for short lasting batteries).
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5 40d - full fat comfort
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Jeep
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)

User avatar
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Somerset

Battery Life

Post by Ewazix » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 pm

ronk wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 pm
How long do batteries last these days? ...........

...On the flip side - the old fashioned lead acid battery fitted to my first Z4 (2004 E85) and sold to a pal, is still going strong !

Progress eh? :rofl:
Amazing but the battery in my June 2003 e85 is the original date stamped BMW unit! I always stick it on the Ctek when it's not used for a week or more but I can't imagine it can last much longer, there again who knows?

What is battery programming anyway?
2003 2.5SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, black leather, Colour coded 108's & Eagle F1A2, no stubby here! French fries intact, unmolested.

wegras
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1527
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: Chichester

Battery Life

Post by wegras » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Literally just replaced original from April 2007
Correct replacement from my Dealer cost £106 which i thought was very acceptable :driving: :driving:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

Online
User avatar
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5731
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:54 pm
Location: Chelmsford

Battery Life

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Ewazix wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 pm
ronk wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 pm
How long do batteries last these days? ...........

...On the flip side - the old fashioned lead acid battery fitted to my first Z4 (2004 E85) and sold to a pal, is still going strong !

Progress eh? :rofl:
Amazing but the battery in my June 2003 e85 is the original date stamped BMW unit! I always stick it on the Ctek when it's not used for a week or more but I can't imagine it can last much longer, there again who knows?

What is battery programming anyway?
Bmw say the car is supposed to be programmed that a new battery is fitted, this apparently alters the charging rates to maximise the life of the new battery.
It sounds plausible until you find out how much they want to charge for it :rofl:
Rob
Image

e89 Sdrive2.0 18i which has apparently turned into a 20i :D
e89 Sdrive3.0i this ones busted, pass me another
e85 3.0si-sold my trouble free car...

Mr Tidy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4168
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Berkshire

Battery Life

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:05 am

Yes, it all seems to be geared to revenue generation! :headbang:

My 123d needed an AGM battery and coding before 55K miles and 5 years old - cost just over £250 at an indy. :eek:

Then just before 77K miles it needed a new starter motor - stop/start may have been a factor? :x

My Z4C had a battery at 81K supplied and fitted for about half that cost - progress indeed. :headbang:
Z4 3.0Si Sport - Coupe for added stiffness!
Current - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey & 108Ms. Cruise, Storage and pdc. 325ti Sport as a DD.
Gone - Ruby Black, Pearl Grey & 135Ms. Xenons, heated seats and Professional speakers.

User avatar
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Somerset

Battery Life

Post by Ewazix » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:23 am

Smartbear wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:43 pm
Ewazix wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 pm

What is battery programming anyway?
Bmw say the car is supposed to be programmed that a new battery is fitted, this apparently alters the charging rates to maximise the life of the new battery.
It sounds plausible until you find out how much they want to charge for it :rofl:
Rob
Cheers got it, BMW at it again! Fit a battery that lasts just beyond the warranty period AND needs re-programming at a dealer :roll:

I thought the whole idea of a 'smart charge' alternator was to detect the state of the battery and adjust charging and that AGM batteries were supposed to be capable of a lot more deep discharge and rapid charge cycles, hence why they are used on motors with stop-start and loads of toys.
2003 2.5SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, black leather, Colour coded 108's & Eagle F1A2, no stubby here! French fries intact, unmolested.

Online
User avatar
ph001
Member
Member
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Battery Life

Post by ph001 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:30 am

My thoughts on battery coding... viewtopic.php?f=23&t=100385&start=15
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

wegras
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1527
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm
Location: Chichester

Battery Life

Post by wegras » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Ewazix wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:23 am
Smartbear wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:43 pm
Ewazix wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 pm

What is battery programming anyway?
Bmw say the car is supposed to be programmed that a new battery is fitted, this apparently alters the charging rates to maximise the life of the new battery.
It sounds plausible until you find out how much they want to charge for it :rofl:
Rob
Cheers got it, BMW at it again! Fit a battery that lasts just beyond the warranty period AND needs re-programming at a dealer :roll:

I thought the whole idea of a 'smart charge' alternator was to detect the state of the battery and adjust charging and that AGM batteries were supposed to be capable of a lot more deep discharge and rapid charge cycles, hence why they are used on motors with stop-start and loads of toys.
When i went in to check price of new battery at my Dealers they confirmed that if the correct battery original type was fitted ie a lead acid replacing lead acid then no resetting was necessary apart from the clock :thumbsup:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

synthedup
Member
Member
Posts: 977
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Rotherham

Battery Life

Post by synthedup » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Mine is currently 11 years old :o :o never had a problem, touch wood.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AndyS, mr.tourette, Sae, StanM, Stevepj and 13 guests