Classic car owners?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
User avatar
Crazy Harry
Member
Member
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 pm
Location: Breckland Norfolk

Classic car owners?

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 am

I think the impact the internet has had on the classic car scene is amazing. Think back to the 70's and if your local car spares shop (lots more of them then than now) didn't have a part and the main dealers didn't stock them any more the only source was either an expensive add in a car mag or down the scrap yard (I have the impression there was more of them as well) for a bit that was probably broken like yours.

Now with the likes of fleabay thousands of new parts are back on the market because they are now economical to advertise and sell. I can't wait for the laser scanner and 3D metal printing technology to be developed to reproduce classic car parts - imagine I buy an electronic copy of the part I want scanned from a NOS/good component and take the file to a printer (could be a person, company or item of equipment) and its custom made. So much for no more petrol and diesel cars there's going to be a lot of classics back on the roads.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4369
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:09 am
Location: South west Buckinghamshire

Classic car owners?

Post by firebobby » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:23 am

I sold my 1974 Mimosa yellow MOD Stag in 1986 for a deposit on our 1st house, I loved the sound track of that Triumph V8.
The one big issue with new parts, especially from China are lots of them are crap and break down quickly. Brake shoes that fall apart, electrical items that fail quickly, if you can get NOS original parts, your much better off.
There is a massive classic vehicle scene out there and luckily lots of the old skills are still alive. :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Image

Steely
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 am

Classic car owners?

Post by Steely » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:48 pm

it is amazing, it has also allowed parts to be made abroad and shipped anywhere, parts can be scanned for prosperity, parts are easily modified and improved, even the cheap rubbish is now easily identified and avoided, forcing manufacturers to improve quality, but the knowledge transfer via forums, articles, videos, etc. has had a huge impact.
Crazy Harry wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 am
I think the impact the internet has had on the classic car scene is amazing. Think back to the 70's and if your local car spares shop (lots more of them then than now) didn't have a part and the main dealers didn't stock them any more the only source was either an expensive add in a car mag or down the scrap yard (I have the impression there was more of them as well) for a bit that was probably broken like yours.

Now with the likes of fleabay thousands of new parts are back on the market because they are now economical to advertise and sell. I can't wait for the laser scanner and 3D metal printing technology to be developed to reproduce classic car parts - imagine I buy an electronic copy of the part I want scanned from a NOS/good component and take the file to a printer (could be a person, company or item of equipment) and its custom made. So much for no more petrol and diesel cars there's going to be a lot of classics back on the roads.
— 07 BMW Z4M Coupe — 76 BMW 2002 — 75 ALFA GT Junior — 93 SAAB 900c — ???

DSCOFF
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 am

Classic car owners?

Post by DSCOFF » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Yes. Until a few months ago...
No longer have a garage and living next to a rookery doesn’t make a good environment for classic ownership!
Attachments
A60A5AA8-B010-4C15-9550-06BF2EFC6578.jpeg
A60A5AA8-B010-4C15-9550-06BF2EFC6578.jpeg (363.14 KiB) Viewed 304 times

DSCOFF
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 am

Classic car owners?

Post by DSCOFF » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Steely wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:48 pm
it is amazing, it has also allowed parts to be made abroad and shipped anywhere, parts can be scanned for prosperity, parts are easily modified and improved, even the cheap rubbish is now easily identified and avoided, forcing manufacturers to improve quality, but the knowledge transfer via forums, articles, videos, etc. has had a huge impact.
Crazy Harry wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 am
I think the impact the internet has had on the classic car scene is amazing. Think back to the 70's and if your local car spares shop (lots more of them then than now) didn't have a part and the main dealers didn't stock them any more the only source was either an expensive add in a car mag or down the scrap yard (I have the

Now with the likes of fleabay thousands of new parts are back on the market because they are now economical to advertise and sell. I can't wait for the laser scanner and 3D metal printing technology to be developed to reproduce classic car parts - imagine I buy an electronic copy of the part I want scanned from a NOS/good component and take the file to a printer (could be a person, company or item of equipment) and its custom made. So much for no more petrol and diesel cars there's going to be a lot of classics back on the roads.
You both make some good points there... Though so many classics are now being bought as investments and hei value is seriously affected by non-approved parts.
Often there is little choice and you either buy what you can get, or don’t use the car.
I’m now in my 50’s and some of the cars I have owned and sold were not classics, when I had them.
Seems that anything ‘old’ can be worth money and those cars we always wanted, when younger.
Recently knew of a Ford Capri selling for over £30K.... I’ll take the Z4 thanks.

Steely
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 am

Classic car owners?

Post by Steely » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Investors have driven up prices, but mainly they are insterested in marques that I am not particularly interested in, and couldn’t afford anyway, even before the investors came along, but I think it has always been the case, it’s not a new phenomenon, generally cars decrease in value until they hit a certain level, determined by rarity, desirability when new and affordability (the E85/86 Z4’s are an example) and then steadily increase in value and desirability surpassing the means of many, except those few that held on to them.. when I think of the cars I have owned and sold.. I sold my Z3M coupe for 10k, now worth 20-25k, but it probably would have cost me that to keep it running!
DSCOFF wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:28 pm
You both make some good points there... Though so many classics are now being bought as investments and hei value is seriously affected by non-approved parts.
Often there is little choice and you either buy what you can get, or don’t use the car.
I’m now in my 50’s and some of the cars I have owned and sold were not classics, when I had them.
Seems that anything ‘old’ can be worth money and those cars we always wanted, when younger.
Recently knew of a Ford Capri selling for over £30K.... I’ll take the Z4 thanks.
— 07 BMW Z4M Coupe — 76 BMW 2002 — 75 ALFA GT Junior — 93 SAAB 900c — ???

DSCOFF
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:20 am

Classic car owners?

Post by DSCOFF » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Steely
I once owned a 1976 911 which had cost me £8500.
It was in good general condition and I owned it for 18 months.
Had to sell it for something more useable.
Have recently seen my old car on ‘Car and Classic’, for almost £60K.
Thing is: Back in those days I always had to sell one car, to buy the next.
So could never have stuck it at the back of the garage.
My other ‘should have kept’ cars include an Integrale, Audi Quattro and even hot hatches like the 205GTI 1.9 and a Polo G40.
Some of us are never meant to ‘win’.
I still like the Z3M Coupe....

User avatar
shawna
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:22 am
Location: Cambridgeshire

Classic car owners?

Post by shawna » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:44 pm

DSCOFF wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 pm
Steely
I once owned a 1976 911 which had cost me £8500.
It was in good general condition and I owned it for 18 months.
Had to sell it for something more useable.
Have recently seen my old car on ‘Car and Classic’, for almost £60K.
Thing is: Back in those days I always had to sell one car, to buy the next.
So could never have stuck it at the back of the garage.
My other ‘should have kept’ cars include an Integrale, Audi Quattro and even hot hatches like the 205GTI 1.9 and a Polo G40.
Some of us are never meant to ‘win’.
I still like the Z3M Coupe....
What was it a Carrera 3?

Steely
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 am

Classic car owners?

Post by Steely » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Today I found my old Z3 M coupe on ebay £22,995, 15 miles away, I’m going to look at it :driving:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2774925585
DSCOFF wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 pm
Steely
I once owned a 1976 911 which had cost me £8500.
It was in good general condition and I owned it for 18 months.
Had to sell it for something more useable.
Have recently seen my old car on ‘Car and Classic’, for almost £60K.
Thing is: Back in those days I always had to sell one car, to buy the next.
So could never have stuck it at the back of the garage.
My other ‘should have kept’ cars include an Integrale, Audi Quattro and even hot hatches like the 205GTI 1.9 and a Polo G40.
Some of us are never meant to ‘win’.
I still like the Z3M Coupe....
— 07 BMW Z4M Coupe — 76 BMW 2002 — 75 ALFA GT Junior — 93 SAAB 900c — ???

Steely
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 am

Classic car owners?

Post by Steely » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:24 pm

This was my M coupe.. sold for £10,500 (minus Reg)..now for sale at £22,995, doubled in value in 6 years :o
607919B3-B423-4D3C-A830-CF5026B6E931.jpeg
607919B3-B423-4D3C-A830-CF5026B6E931.jpeg (526.68 KiB) Viewed 251 times
44659122-5B2D-471F-BC65-E95BE82C1491.jpeg
44659122-5B2D-471F-BC65-E95BE82C1491.jpeg (430.75 KiB) Viewed 251 times
Last edited by Steely on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— 07 BMW Z4M Coupe — 76 BMW 2002 — 75 ALFA GT Junior — 93 SAAB 900c — ???

User avatar
TR4man
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:40 am
Location: South Cheshire

Classic car owners?

Post by TR4man » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Oh God, I do so want a Z3M Coupe.
3.0 SI Sport Coupe with all the options :D
Not a single modification - just as BMW intended 8)
Image

Mr Tidy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4214
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Berkshire

Classic car owners?

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 pm

Steely wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm
Today I found my old Z3 M coupe on ebay £22,995, 15 miles away, I’m going to look at it
Lovely car OP - I always liked them! :thumbsup:

Are you going just to look, or might you be thinking of buying? :)
Z4 3.0Si Sport - Coupe for added stiffness!
Current - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey & 108Ms. Cruise, Storage and pdc. 325ti Sport as a DD.
Gone - Ruby Black, Pearl Grey & 135Ms. Xenons, heated seats and Professional speakers.

Steely
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 am

Classic car owners?

Post by Steely » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:28 pm

It’s well over my budget, but never say never haha :D
Mr Tidy wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 pm
Steely wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm
Today I found my old Z3 M coupe on ebay £22,995, 15 miles away, I’m going to look at it
Lovely car OP - I always liked them! :thumbsup:

Are you going just to look, or might you be thinking of buying? :)
— 07 BMW Z4M Coupe — 76 BMW 2002 — 75 ALFA GT Junior — 93 SAAB 900c — ???

User avatar
BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5056
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm
Location: Back in the sunshine

Classic car owners?

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Steely wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:24 pm
This was my M coupe.. sold for £10,500 (minus Reg)..now for sale at £22,995, doubled in value in 6 years :o

607919B3-B423-4D3C-A830-CF5026B6E931.jpeg

44659122-5B2D-471F-BC65-E95BE82C1491.jpeg
In 2014 I turned down a 60K mile Z3MC for less than £8K because I thought I could find a better one :headbang:
I intended to get the registration number M33CPE on your old car when I found the right one, to match M44CPE on my Z4MC
Image
Modified RS4 Avant - daily driver; Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use; Westfield SEiW - track car
Sold S2000 GT (convertible fun now comes from a car only fit for a Teutonic coiffeur)

Steely
Member
Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:28 am

Classic car owners?

Post by Steely » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:26 am

BMWZ4MC wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:44 pm
Steely wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:24 pm
This was my M coupe.. sold for £10,500 (minus Reg)..now for sale at £22,995, doubled in value in 6 years :o

607919B3-B423-4D3C-A830-CF5026B6E931.jpeg

44659122-5B2D-471F-BC65-E95BE82C1491.jpeg
In 2014 I turned down a 60K mile Z3MC for less than £8K because I thought I could find a better one :headbang:
I intended to get the registration number M33CPE on your old car when I found the right one, to match M44CPE on my Z4MC
I looked for M44CPE, I should have kept M33CPE on retention 😞
— 07 BMW Z4M Coupe — 76 BMW 2002 — 75 ALFA GT Junior — 93 SAAB 900c — ???

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests