Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ice on the inside of the windscreen

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:45 am

So with the clocks going back and winter getting ever closer, we found my wifes car (2004 Corsa C) had completely iced up this morning as I went to drop her at the station as usual.

Outside is not a problem as I get the de-icer out and in a few mins were good but inside the car mists up something awful and sometimes even has ice there too.

The heater isnt great on this car and while I use de-icer inside and wipe the inside of the glass as much as possible it takes the whole journey time to clear (and I dont drive without being able to see, especially as when you hit the sun you cant see through the mist).

Any suggestions?

Im guessing opening the windows 5 mins before journey time may help?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:55 am

Hi, if it’s that damp inside it sounds like you may have a leak? I’d be checking for water ingress.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 am

Most cars have some moisture in them but it would appear you've got an excessive amount inside your car.
Next time the sun is shining park it with all the doors open and hatch up to help dry it out.
Remember to close it up though as soon as the temperature drops as this will start to create moisture back inside the car.
Leaving anything wet inside the car also causes moisture build up.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:25 pm

bluestreak56 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:45 am So with the clocks going back and winter getting ever closer, we found my wifes car (2004 Corsa C) had completely iced up this morning as I went to drop her at the station as usual.

Outside is not a problem as I get the de-icer out and in a few mins were good but inside the car mists up something awful and sometimes even has ice there too.

The heater isnt great on this car and while I use de-icer inside and wipe the inside of the glass as much as possible it takes the whole journey time to clear (and I dont drive without being able to see, especially as when you hit the sun you cant see through the mist).

Any suggestions?

Im guessing opening the windows 5 mins before journey time may help?
The Corsa C had a problem with a cover under the wipers, this has a silicone that fails and allow water into the cabin. I had this on my daughters Corsa and followed this...and her car is bone dry now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tVb8CFOEp8
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks for everyones advice, seems I was a little premature in my description. The ice was actually all outside, just condensation inside. Checked for leaks but havnt found any (thanks for the video link).

Since this day when it was really bad its warmed up in the mornings so its not been much of an issue..

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 pm

I simply fire my daily up and leave it to warm up on the drive for a few minutes, while I make me butties. :) May be not such a great idea in West London. :wink:

Anyone know if Fords still have the heater element in the front screen. That used to be brilliant on cold mornings in the old Mondemorno

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:38 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 pm I simply fire my daily up and leave it to warm up on the drive for a few minutes, while I make me butties. :) May be not such a great idea in West London. :wink:

Anyone know if Fords still have the heater element in the front screen. That used to be brilliant on cold mornings in the old Mondemorno
Wouldn't do that anywhere except an isolated house. People trawl the streets looking for cars warming up and steal them, Not then covered by insurance. Lots stolen in West Mids. last year

Jags have heated screens, but hey that's because they are Fords :P
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:42 pm

buzyg wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 pm I simply fire my daily up and leave it to warm up on the drive for a few minutes, while I make me butties. :) May be not such a great idea in West London. :wink:

Brother in law lost a 4 day old V40 R design a couple of years ago doing that - Insurance refused to pay out and he got stung with the £20k bill from leasing company...

Mike

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:45 pm

cj10jeeper wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:38 pm

Wouldn't do that anywhere except an isolated house. People trawl the streets looking for cars warming up and steal them, Not then covered by insurance. Lots stolen in West Mids. last year

Jags have heated screens, but hey that's because they are Fords :P
Yup we are a bit lax on those sort of things around here. I took the MR to work yesterday, left the garage open and it was still wide open for me to dive back in when I got home. :)

I left our Garage door open for about 20 mins once, when we lived in Portsmouth and some scrote nicked MrsG's Holdsworth from it. :cry:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:54 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Brother in law lost a 4 day old V40 R design a couple of years ago doing that - Insurance refused to pay out and he got stung with the £20k bill from leasing company...

Mike
Happily my daily is worth scrapage value. :wink:

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:51 pm

If you lock your car with the second set of keys whilst the engine is running, that counts as being secure and the insurance should pay out.
Not worth the risk though.

I used to run an electric heater in the car to melt all the ice. Nice and warm too.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Wife's i3... use the iPhone to tell it when you're leaving, it switches on its heater and is all defrosted and toasty when you're ready to go out. :driving:

bluestreak56
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bluestreak56 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Bottom wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:18 pm Wife's i3... use the iPhone to tell it when you're leaving, it switches on its heater and is all defrosted and toasty when you're ready to go out. :driving:
Yes I can do the same in my x4 (remote activation) but I rarely use it as the seals are still like new :thumbsup:

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:14 pm

While we're talking about seals, it's about time to give the door seals a wee run over with some Gummi Pflege to stop them freezing up in the winter:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pflege-R ... B007TNOQDI
Other suppliers are available.

Nothing worse than being shut out of the car because the doors are frozen shut.

Actually there is, I had a wee patient came panting into reception about 20 minutes late last January because she had been stuck inside the car, the doors and windows were frozen shut and she couldn't get out. :rofl: