Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shower cubicle mastic ...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:01 am

Simple, so I thought ...

Battled to get the old stuff out from the floor / wall joint and thought I would do it properly so I put masking tape both on the shower tray and the wall and off I went with the mastic gun.

Hmmm, as soon as I finished I removed the masking tape expecting perfect straight lines. Not quite ... there was a lip on the floor where I pulled the tape off where it joined the mastic and the wall was not much better.

Another hour spent this morning removing all the mastic again, but how can I apply it in a straight line nice and thinly? The tape (and using a wet finger to smooth it) did not work for me.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:07 am

You can buy a simple tool to shape the bead and use soapy water made from wash up liquid. Still won't guarantee perfection, that comes with a few years of practice. The most difficult bit is on an internal corner. Best of luck!
2.2R Toledo Blue

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:11 am

I use the back of a small tea spoon for shaping.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 am

I was thinking of cutting a corner off an old credit card to get the angle. Guess the amount you apply is vital as well, as too much seems to make a big mess.

Not sure how you use a teaspoon though?
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:32 am

pvr wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 am I was thinking of cutting a corner off an old credit card to get the angle. Guess the amount you apply is vital as well, as too much seems to make a big mess.

The trick is to cut the tip at the right point for the width of the gap. Try about a third of he distance from the tip to the body . With a small tea spoon, or cruet spoon use the tip of the spoon., You can vary the angle you hold the spoon at, depending on the with of the bead. A steep angle for a narrow bead

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:37 am

pvr wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:14 am I was thinking of cutting a corner off an old credit card to get the angle. Guess the amount you apply is vital as well, as too much seems to make a big mess.

Rookie error Paul, happens every time. You’re using way too much mastic, way too much. If you’ve cut the plastic tube nozzle too big then you’ll need to go and get another, just cut the very tip off at a 45 deg angle. Tape it up again and use a very thin bead, you’ll think it’s not enough but once you’ve smoothed it with your soapy finger or mastic tool there’ll be enough in.

Try taping a small length along the tray to practice first. You’ll get it right. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:38 am

For both the wall as well as the floor side? I am trying to see how you can avoid it becoming a smearing mess.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Stevepj

Post by Stevepj » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:40 am

Get yourself a Fugi kit and you'll get great results in next to no time.
Got mine from Ebay for a couple of quid a few years back, but I'm pretty certain B&Q etc do them now

So this is where I write about the car? 2003 E85 2.5i, sterling grey, red leather, 106s with Goodyear Eagle F1s, factory xenons, folding mirrors, cup holders, retrofit cruise control, Bilstein B4's all round. And a whippy!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:41 am

john-e89 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:37 am

Rookie error Paul, happens every time. You’re using way too much mastic, way too much. If you’ve cut the plastic tube nozzle too big then you’ll need to go and get another, just cut the very tip off at a 45 deg angle. Tape it up again and use a very thin bead, you’ll think it’s not enough but once you’ve smoothed it with your soapy finger or mastic tool there’ll be enough in.

Try taping a small length along the tray to practice first. You’ll get it right. :thumbsup:
You are dead right - I had put on way too much. Good thing I have a supply of tips (thanks eBay - 25 for a fiver or so :D ).

So tape is still the best way to go - except for using a lot less of the stuff?

Rookie error ... I hate it when you are right for once :lol:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:56 am

pvr wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:41 am
john-e89 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:37 am

You are dead right - I had put on way too much. Good thing I have a supply of tips (thanks eBay - 25 for a fiver or so :D ).

So tape is still the best way to go - except for using a lot less of the stuff?

Rookie error ... I hate it when you are right for once :lol:
Yes you can tape it up Paul, keep practising, you’ll get the knack of how much to use to feather it down to the tape so that when you take the tape off the edges are very very slight, almost flat.

I’m always right.......you know that....it’s just so hard for you to acccept it....... :poke: :wink:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Post by sticky » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 am

Corner tool is cheap...has various angles on it. Keep your fingers out..spray on soapy water .ca 20% mix

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:59 am

Stevepj wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:40 am Get yourself a Fugi kit and you'll get great results in next to no time.
Got mine from Ebay for a couple of quid a few years back, but I'm pretty certain B&Q etc do them now

Thank you - I have just ordered that for Monday delivery. :thumbsup:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:00 pm

I tend to do around the shower tray around every 18 months and as said the cutting of the tip is critical and not trimming too much off, I tend not to use tape as I use clear silicone. I've found speed and a steady hand at the right angle always does it. If I get it right in one go it doesn't need smoothing off.

Tim.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Lube is the key Paul , , either as John suggests by continually dipping your smoothing finger into a pot mixed 70% water 30% washing up liquid or as i prefer ( i do quite large runs around windows / doors etc ) have it in a spray bottle . Only spray over once all mastic is applied then smooth away with a variety of sized fingers :D or thumb if necessary :cry:
Simple baby wipes are also worth having for wiping fingers or removing mastic that isn't set :thumbsup:
btw , would love to see some pics :P been feeling a bit down after return from France :oops:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:22 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:04 pm
, would love to see some pics :P been feeling a bit down after return from France :oops:
:trampoline: :trampoline: :trampoline: Yeah yeah yeah......pics Paul....let’s see some of the doughnut lines of splurge before you’ve used 500 bog rolls to wipe it up.....go on....post some....cheer the day up....!!!!!!! :P
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29