Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone into RC cars?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Anyone into RC cars?

Post by GuidoK » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:29 pm

I think I was 12 or 14 years old or so when I used that boat. Bought it 2nd hand (I think it was already an older boat back then) and fixed it up with my dad.
I thought it was always interesting to control. But the nitro engine was a hassle. I converted it to electro back then but motors and batteries back then werent powerful enough to make it spectacular like nitro did. Now that would be no problem with lipo/brushless motors.
See this vid on youtube
https://youtu.be/Q3qGccqJ2OM
plenty of power by the looks of it.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

bluespit

Anyone into RC cars?

Post by bluespit » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:20 am

I’ve done the lot. RC cars boats and planes, petrol, electric and nitro.

Boats were a pain as I always ended up in the lake when they conked out.

Won a few trophies with 1/8 nitro gran prix back in the 80s, but that became too expensive so I bought a motorbike!

Used to do exhibition flying with a 1/4 scale ultimate and 52cc zenoh petrol engine. Knife edge loops were my thing.
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

slick

Anyone into RC cars?

Post by slick » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 am

My son and I race Losi 5Ts off road nationally ( 5th scale petrol )
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

groovy_hippy

Anyone into RC cars?

Post by groovy_hippy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:01 am

slick wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:39 am My son and I race Losi 5Ts off road nationally ( 5th scale petrol )
That’s cool - I thought 1/5 LSOR had kind of flopped in the UK? Which tracks do you go to? There was one near me - Notts Derby off-road, but I think they only do 1/10 and 1/8 off road now :( I remember Nene Valley in Northants was a good one!
Current ... 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport | Manual | Alpine White | Black leather | Piano black dash
Intro to Zeds, now sold... 2007 Z4 2.5i SE Roadster | Manual | Stratus Grey | Red Leather | CDV delete | DLV backbox

TonyP

Anyone into RC cars?

Post by TonyP » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:30 am

I used to race 1/8th IC (nitro) back in the 80's, mostly locally at Bournemouth & Southampton & occasionally Mendip, Bournemouth & Southampton are long gone but Mendip is still going strong.

Happy days, I give up the 1/8 IC as it was hugely expensive & definitely not because I was cr@p at it :wink: , most of the top guys were sponsored & so there was quite a bit of hand-me-down cars, spares & radio gear going on.

I also did 1/10th electric at a local church hall for a while, thinking back now what a pain it was, we used to roll out carpets every night, mark out the track & then at the end of the evening roll & keep the carpets under the staging, we also used to wreak of the special tyre goo that we used to apply to give us more traction.