Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Taking radiator off

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
pvr
Legend
Legend

Taking radiator off

Post by pvr » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Part of a room re-decorating, Mrs PVR has decided that the radiator needs to come off.

Any tips - or just replace the thermostatic valve with a fixed one and close the rad valves, then undo the two bolts? How to avoid getting the black water everywhere might be a useful tip ... :D

Wall mounted radiator by the way.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Crazy Harry

Taking radiator off

Post by Crazy Harry » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:22 pm

In the past I've slacked the joints by the valves and swung them flat to the floor supported on blocks of wood then retightened the joints - only works if you have a bit of slack in the pipes so you can lift it off the brackets (you say bolts so do you have the traditional cast column type so not much lifting). Not saying its the correct way mind.

I've also found those 'radiator rollers' are a good tool for papering as well as painting the wall behind.

One reason I hate thermostatic valves - aren't you are going to have to freeze the pipe to change the valve though if you want to change it?

PS the above won't work on curved rads!

Havard

Taking radiator off

Post by Havard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:30 pm

If you have a TRV, there should be a cap that comes with it. This is meant to hold down the valve seat when the TRV head is removed. You can then remove the rad. In practice, these caps are rubbish and you end up with leaks anyway.

Also, do you have drains on the radiator itself? Otherwise you may need to drain the system down completely or at least to a level where the water isn't going to come out. Not a good time of year to be doing this too..... :D

H.
ImageImage

pvr
Legend
Legend

Taking radiator off

Post by pvr » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:46 pm

I meant nuts - not bolts actually. They are the 90 degrees jobs out of the floor, into the rad.

I would be quite happy for the decorator to paint behind the radiator using a small brush, apparently that is not the correct way to do it so I have been told :cry:
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Taking radiator off

Post by john-e89 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:31 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:46 pm I meant nuts - not bolts actually. They are the 90 degrees jobs out of the floor, into the rad.

I would be quite happy for the decorator to paint behind the radiator using a small brush, apparently that is not the correct way to do it so I have been told :cry:
Screw the TRV fully down Paul. Lock off the other side using a small adjustable spanner on the small valve shut off lug. This will stop the flow to the rad. Loosen the bleed valve on the top of the rad. Then you can undo one side of the valves a little, having a washing up bowel and old towels under the thread, undo it until you’re happy with the flow, it’ll take time but be patient, better to take a while than have it rushing out. Once empty undo the other side and lift off SQUARELY, don’t tip it, maybe have a couple of blocks of wood ready to put it on if it’s a big heavy rad. Once off you can tip it gently until it’s completely empty. If the valves are tight DON’T force them until you’ve got an adjustable holding the valve body steady or you could rupture the copper pipe.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Zed Five

Taking radiator off

Post by Zed Five » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:11 pm

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-to ... gK0L_D_BwE

so much easier and the finish will be identical.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Taking radiator off

Post by john-e89 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Zed Five wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:11 pm https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-to ... gK0L_D_BwE

so much easier and the finish will be identical.
Yep, this is easily the best way to get around the job and with a 20% vat busting your wallet re-payment on a huge £2.49 investment if bought in B&Q on the Isle of Man, you cannot ignore this tool Paul.

Tell the missus if she wants the rad off to take the bugger off herself..... :P
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Silverzedtom

Taking radiator off

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Be careful if your TRV Has a frost setting, the trv will open up at around 4 degrees C.

I’d advise getting a couple of female irons, short section of copper and some 15mm compression caps. I don’t remove many where the valves hold 100% so always use caps.

It only takes a drop of ‘Black Death’ and the carpets ruined.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

pvr
Legend
Legend

Taking radiator off

Post by pvr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:58 pm

All done now and no carpet was ruined :D

Straightened the radiator as well whilst it was off as it was mounted poorly with just two screws on the slider bars and no screws in the small hole to retain it, so it was a bit lob sided.

I hate doing plumbing stuff though ...
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo