Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Track Day Experiences - M4 Master

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:53 pm

What an incredible day!

I just wanted to give my thoughts on the day in case anyone else fancies booking it.

Following an expensive and slightly disappointing experience at Mallory Park with Everyman Racing driving the Huracan, 570S (fell in love with that car!) and an Atom a few weeks back I was lucky enough to be given this day from BMW.

From what I’ve seen it’s circa £160 for 2 x 15 minute sessions in an M4. Which compared to the Supercar Blast at Mallory is very reasonable. I believe the initial day was circa £100 but after seeing the state of the R8’s and the Gallardo I was due to drive I paid an extra £70 for the Huracan and 570S... 3 laps in each was over before I got in to any rhythm. I ended that day with an Atom that I wasn’t allowed to change down a gear from 5th the whole way round a lap. Granted, there was enough grunt in fifth to get you out of a corner but it was clear the day was setup for non petrol heads just wanting to experience a Supercar. Fair enough.

I arrived at Brands (my local and favourite track), straight in to a really good briefing, from there, jumped in the car and got myself comfortable. Met my instructor and he took the time to talk to me about what I had driven and what I currently drive. I explained that BMW gave me the ticket for the day and that I was looking to upgrade my Z4 to an M4 in the new year... with that he put everything in to Sport Plus and off we went using the paddle shift that is usually not used in the first session apparently.

The 15 minute session was brilliant. Long enough to learn a line, get a real feel for the car and what grip was available (there wasn’t a lot today!) but not too long to start getting tired and make mistakes (amazing how much you concentrate on track!). The instructor gained a lot of confidence and we ended up lapping everyone else on track (only 7 of us in M4’s).

The instructor gave me some great feedback and some areas to sort out in the next session (mainly trusting the front end more and trying to get round clearways with one steering angle.

A quick debrief and off out again.

Same as before but I pushed harder and carried more speed through corners... the M4 is incredible, it’s very lively but the instructor was right, the front end just kept gripping! The rear was all over the shot but it’s so controllable.

I enjoyed it so much I’d like to book another one before the end of year and see if they’ll do a double one as I’d like longer in the car!

I’m summary, as nice as it is driving a McLaren 570s and what a car it is, if you actually want to learn how to drive on track, improve your skills and really push a car you’re far better off with the M4 Master. I’m keen to see if there’s a way of hiring an M4 with an instructor and doing a half day track day or something.
28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

SteveSmith

Post by SteveSmith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:58 pm

28i M Sport - Alpine White / Canberra Beige, 19" M359’s, H&R’s / Eibachs, BMS Stage 1 - 271bhp, Front Splitter, CF Rear Lip, Alcantara Steering Wheel and Brembo 4 pots

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:53 pm

Sounds like a great little car... what is a Master? Can't find any mention of it on BMW site, just the M4 coupe and competition package . Is it just a Euro package ?
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:00 pm

mcbeee wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:53 pm Sounds like a great little car... what is a Master? Can't find any mention of it on BMW site, just the M4 coupe and competition package . Is it just a Euro package ?
It’s not a car spec, it’s simply a nomenclature that MSV use for their driving experiences.

E.g.
Rally Master
Drift Master
Track Master
Race Master
M3 Master
M4 Master
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:43 pm

So you’re selling the z4 Steve? :(
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:25 pm

That looks like lots of fun. :D I'll take the Maca. :thumbsup:

mcbeee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mcbeee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:56 pm

I kind of miss my old M3, but then I get in the M roadster or the Carrera and it all goes away. And as a retired git I can't afford to test drive a new M4, .....coz I'd probably take it home... :lol: :lol:
Sold the Z4 M Roadster and a 911 Carrera S now I have a 2021 Z4 3.0i
8) 8) 8)

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Well, I been lucky to be a passenger in an Atom, and never had an experience like it, it was so intense and amazing.

I am glad you had a great day, as I am thinking of looking for the next motor, as the Z4 G29 is now been rumored to be available in 2019, and not in 2018.

So the M2 & M4 are only my radar,

However, I have enjoyed tracking my Z, as I have learned so much in what it can and can not do.

https://youtu.be/0n7gLJg7ACk