Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just want to get something off my chest...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 am

Interesting to read the comments on here. I am not on here as much as I used to be as I have a more intensive daytime job and we also have a 1 year old that takes a lot of my time. I am aware we are going through a phase of some negativity at the moment but this forum has always been largely self-moderating.

I am a member of another group where the admin takes it upon themselves to censor everything that may potentially offend anyone, and that is extremely frustrating, especially when that admin has strong views one way and biases the forum immensely.

Sure, there are times I see threads that could be better shut down, but I really want to use that as a last resort. This does mean that we tend to get more threads go awry than we could, but like Tom said, it's all about balance.

Also, as several people have stated, it is a public forum, and as with all forums people can hide behind their keyboard (so to speak), so you do need a fairly thick skin.

I have been a user of forums for many years before setting this one up in 2007 and despite the ups and downs it does seem a pretty friendly place. Looking back over the years these things are cyclic, so I can only look forward to what the next cycle is... or where the next marius / ElTaco / Enfield (for the forum old-timers who remember) will come from!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

chrisgreen

Post by chrisgreen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 am

for what my two cents mean - I find this forum very friendly, open and helpful - and a lot less 'catty' than other BMW forums I'm on.
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

dans6490

Post by dans6490 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:36 am

*goes off to search for “Enfield”

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:36 am

I agree - it's the best car forum I've ever been on. And I've been on a lot. I find the generosity of some members on here particularly admirable. You only have to look at the threads re: the hardtop (OK that ended bad but the sentiment was there) and people like Smartbear who sent me a N52 water pump for investigation (I also had offers from others too).

What really makes a great forum I think is the right balance of technical help / info / banter. I think it's spot on here.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:57 am

Revisiting this thread as it seems to have taken off far more than I had expected.

I don't think the forum needs any changes at all. It's a friendly and informative site and an outlet for anyone with a deep interest in the subject matter to debate and discuss their interests with like minded people, those of whom might not have anyone with similar interests in their individual walks of life.

When I wrote the initial post, it was a knee jerk reaction to a single comment. Sometimes matters in our personal life can influence or intensify a reaction of which another wouldn't understand because they aren't living that persons life at that point in time. It is not a reflection upon the the comment that influenced the reaction, nor is it a reflection upon the person who made that comment. We are all human, we all have personal lives and every once in a while we all do daft things.

I visit this forum every day. The mods do a great job and the community couldn't be more welcoming.

I'm not too proud that I can't hold my hands up and admit that I made a mistake, or at least an over reaction. However it has formed the basis of a new debate for people to open up and share their own experiences, which is what we're here for.

I apologise if any of my comments reflected badly on the forum or could be considered insulting in any way. I wouldn't have the forum any other way and I'm the sort of person who can have a cross word and tomorrow it's yesterday's news. Today is another day, keep loving your Zeds and be happy :)

All the best everyone.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:05 pm

dans6490 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:36 am *goes off to search for “Enfield”
Most likely in Syria now
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm

This is an interesting read and has many views I agree with – also a nice reflective post from the OP above.

I joined in Jan 2015 so don’t have the experience of the early years of the forum, in fact I’m a relative newbie in terms of ‘time served’.

I felt right at home here from the beginning and immediately liked the vibe - the members gave me a warm welcome and it was obvious we shared a passion for these great cars.

I soon realised there was a huge wealth of knowledge here and members only too willing to share their experiences and help out fellow members. I immediately started benefitting from forum advice, and when I started retrofitting and modifying my car I was astounded at the lengths people went to help me out. I could list numerous individual instances where members have gone out of their way to help me and I can see that’s not uncommon.

I’ve been on many meets over the years (not as many as I’d like) and really appreciate and thank the members who put in the time and effort to organise them. Meeting fellow members adds another dimension to the enjoyment of the forum and I’d like to think I’ve made some good friends along the way.

This is the only forum I’ve been part of so I can’t compare, but the general consensus seems to be that it’s bigger, better, more informative and friendlier than others out there.

Now that I find myself with the honour of helping to moderate the forum I will do all I can to continue its success by following the lead of those who have been here from the beginning and have, in my opinion, set just the right balance and tone regarding its administration and moderation.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm . . . . No he didn't :D

Now that I find myself with the honour of helping to moderate the forum I will do all I can to continue its success by kicking out those hangers on from members who don’t even have Zed’s anymore and constantly abuse other members, you know, those who have been here from the beginning and have, in my opinion, set just the wrong balance and tone regarding its continuation...

....ESPECIALLY the foreign ones..... :evil: :P
Nicely put Marlon, I applaud you sir..... :happyclap:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Marlon wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm This is an interesting read and has many views I agree with – also a nice reflective post from the OP above.

I joined in Jan 2015 so don’t have the experience of the early years of the forum, in fact I’m a relative newbie in terms of ‘time served’.

I felt right at home here from the beginning and immediately liked the vibe - the members gave me a warm welcome and it was obvious we shared a passion for these great cars.

I soon realised there was a huge wealth of knowledge here and members only too willing to share their experiences and help out fellow members. I immediately started benefitting from forum advice, and when I started retrofitting and modifying my car I was astounded at the lengths people went to help me out. I could list numerous individual instances where members have gone out of their way to help me and I can see that’s not uncommon.

I’ve been on many meets over the years (not as many as I’d like) and really appreciate and thank the members who put in the time and effort to organise them. Meeting fellow members adds another dimension to the enjoyment of the forum and I’d like to think I’ve made some good friends along the way.

This is the only forum I’ve been part of so I can’t compare, but the general consensus seems to be that it’s bigger, better, more informative and friendlier than others out there.

Now that I find myself with the honour of helping to moderate the forum I will do all I can to continue its success by following the lead of those who have been here from the beginning and have, in my opinion, set just the right balance and tone regarding its administration and moderation, and if you don’t comply I’m banning you.
I’ve just fixed that for you Marlon, no need to thank me :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:04 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

elevensies

Post by elevensies » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:12 pm

i like the mixed bag on here, iv never felt unwelcome, nor have i been biased towards one thing or another, (well apart from one time that was unfortunate)
but im big enough to stand my ground, and small enough to admit my own fault, but like others have said, dont say something unless you are prepared to stand up to your post.
there are always people who want to knock someone or something

chin up :thumbsup:

or as my old staff sgt said
suck it up buttercup
support our paras
"Utrinque Paratus"
https://www.justgiving.com/paracharity

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:03 pm

Now that I find myself with the honour of helping to moderate the forum I will do all I can to continue its success by following the lead of those who have been here from the beginning and have, in my opinion, set just the right balance and tone regarding its administration and moderation, and if you don’t comply I’m banning you.

I’ve just fixed that for you Marlon, no need to thank me :P
Rob
ahh, the power :lol:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Never felt anything other than enthusiasts wanting to help other enthusiasts on here. Been on a few forums depending what car I was driving, and I like to give as well as take, so dive in headfirst! Got some very warm welcomes, the only other forum that feels like this is the Smart Roadster forum, equally full of banter, expertise, and help. AND the odd nerk thrown in for good measure though - as long as they are not rude it kinda brings colour to the chats!
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:10 pm

john-e89 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:59 pm
Marlon wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm . . . . No he didn't :D

Now that I find myself with the honour of helping to moderate the forum I will do all I can to continue its success by kicking out those hangers on from members who don’t even have Zed’s anymore and constantly abuse other members, you know, those who have been here from the beginning and have, in my opinion, set just the wrong balance and tone regarding its continuation...

....ESPECIALLY the foreign ones..... :evil: :P
Nicely put Marlon, I applaud you sir..... :happyclap:
If you need help with PVR just let me know. :wink:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:14 pm

It's worth noting that in the last 10 years there have been nearly 1.46 million posts. Compare this to another Z forum that's been around since 2003 which only 371 thousand posts.

So in 4 years less we have generated 4 times as many posts.

This is a very busy place so there will be issues. But the fact myself and many others are still here 10 years on says a lot to me.