Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just want to get something off my chest...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Sorry I didn't know exactly where this should be posted so I took a guess.

This forum is a wonderful place, whether directly or indirectly it can be a place where people can feel a belonging, to learn and share all aspects of life and their passion. I personally appreciate having this space and all of the people who contribute to it. I have learnt a ton, made friends, shared experiences and offered my own advice to others. And on the whole, I haven't felt judged.

However, this shouldn't be a place where one should feel the need to clarify their personal circumstances to another to justify or seek approval for the decisions they make or for the things they choose to share. As great a place as this is, it isn't free of the odd twunt and as with anywhere on the internet, the odd troll.

I heard a quote a while ago which stated 'The new racism is someone who doesn't know they are a racist'. Fortunately that doesn't apply here, but the premise can be applied to other character traits.

May I just implore those in the very very small minority who don't adhere to the general and implied theme of the site, keep this place about your passion, support each other, have fun, welcome others... and leave those lesser, unhelpful, unsporting, invasive traits behind... or find somewhere that welcomes such negativity to share that aspect of yourself.

Thanks,

Jay.

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Most people appear to have been very supportive but like everywhere else in life and on tinterweb especially , there are some overly opinionated twats here but actually very few. This isn't 'real life' . Your personal life and car fitment choices are your business , you should expect comment on the latter but not the former as it is no f**er's business except yours. Ignore the personal sniping and concentrate on those who have been supportive. BTW I think that the car looks great :-)
2008 Sport Coupe Automatic with lots of extras.

Now with cruise control and Mediabridge :driving: Gold wheels HAVE BEEN SACKED.

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:50 pm

I fully appreciate your comments and frankness.

I have historically found this forum very alien and negative - I have been a member from 2014.

But since my car did not confirm the enthusiast's expectations, been an 2 Ltr - there was constant negativity.

And since I was modding my car, and making bold statements about its performance compared to 35i's and 35is's - which I have backed up. As I previously had an 335i, I was able to make comparable comparisons. This forum did have a number of keyboard warriors.

I have noticed the conversations are less negative, and I think a lot of this that is down to smartbear and N20 forums members and discussing the virtuals of N20 compared to 3ltr equivalents. And the increasing number of N20 owners - the negativity has reduced considerably.

I am aware of a few E85/E86 owners who have been turned off by comments been made here and never returned.

I am a member of another Z owners group and the general tone is much more about banter and having a laugh, however, the group is based more on Z3's and E85/86. However this forum is more relevant for my E89.

I think its getting better

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:27 pm

My experience is the polar opposite of what Twin Turbo says. I too joined in 2014 having stumbled across the Forum by complete accident after I bought my Zed. Until that moment I didn't know what an online forum was! :P

I have found that being a member of of the Forum has been the unexpected icing on the cake of Zed ownership. I have met a lot of great people, found the knowledge of the members unbelievable and have enjoyed many meets.

I am woefully lacking when it comes to any mechanical knowledge, but have contributed when I can and have tried to maintain a level of humour in most of my posts.

Yes there have been some totally unnecessary comments posted on here and some trolls, some of whom were evicted. But you find idiots in any walk of life.

Overall however, my feeling is that the vast majority of members are hugely positive, helpful and friendly.
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 pm

I agree with Rickrobs feelings on the forum, most people here are friendly & try to help others if possible :)
Life’s to short for rows!
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 pm

With hindsight, I believe I have been part of the problem as showing a red flag to a bull or :fuelfire: :evil:

But since some of the main straight six purists are no longer seem active, and the consensus acceptance that a 28i with mods is similar performance to a 35i, and the acknowledgment having a lighter engine improves the handling.

I can honestly say that 2017 has been a better year for me in this forum.

But again the increasing number of N20 owners is making this forum a better place - we are all car enthusiasts and let's enjoy our passion. In harmony

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Touchy?
With forums you have to take the good with the bad. You cant expect to have everybody love everything you do and people have their own opinions whether it is good or bad.
Is that not why most post on forums, to hear others opinions?
Do you only want to hear peoples opinions if they are good and fit in with what you want to hear?
Probably most people on here who post regularly will have had some sort of negative comment given directly or indirectly, you just have to suck it up and ignore it and move on, or leave.
I sometimes get fed up of hearing how the E89s are barges, that the 23i is the base model, if you dont have nav nobody will want to buy it, that black on black is boring, certain wheels are not good enough, that wrapping the interior is s**t etc, but it is everybodys opinion whether its valid or not. If I was to bite at every comment made I would just be a whinging bugger.
But, who cares. I like our car the way it is, with its black paint, black leather, no nav, 18" wheels, 2.5 litre engine, folding metal roof, hydro dipped interior trim.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:16 pm

Nictrix wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 pmTouchy?
With forums you have to take the good with the bad. You cant expect to have everybody love everything you do and people have their own opinions whether it is good or bad.
Is that not why most post on forums, to hear others opinions?
Do you only want to hear peoples opinions if they are good and fit in with what you want to hear?
Probably most people on here who post regularly will have had some sort of negative comment given directly or indirectly, you just have to suck it up and ignore it and move on, or leave.
I sometimes get fed up of hearing how the E89s are barges, that the 23i is the base model, if you dont have nav nobody will want to buy it, that black on black is boring, certain wheels are not good enough, that wrapping the interior is s**t etc, but it is everybodys opinion whether its valid or not. If I was to bite at every comment made I would just be a whinging bugger.
But, who cares. I like our car the way it is, with its black paint, black leather, no nav, 18" wheels, 2.5 litre engine, folding metal roof, hydro dipped interior trim.

Not too interested in car comments, it was a comment about my personal life and financial situation that's all.
Last edited by thanatu55 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 pm

Dont tell everybody your life story. It is there for the world to read if they want to.
I do sometimes think that people share a bit too much here at times.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 pm

Ok agreed. The point I was trying to make was that I don't want to share that information, and what was made in the comment to me implied things about my personal life that don't need mentioning on here.

Anyway, it was ages ago now life moves on.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 pm

I feel the anti whippy brigade hound us whippy owners and good help you if you have wood, I do have wood and am proud of polishing my wood.
My wife loves my wood and often comments on how smooth my wood is. There are members on here who, I feel are jealous of us rare wood owners...you know who you are :poke:
Sometimes the typed word can read totally different from the spoken word and people get the wrong end of the stick. :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 pm

firebobby wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 pm I feel the anti whippy brigade hound us whippy owners and good help you if you have wood, I do have wood and am proud of polishing my wood.
My wife loves my wood and often comments on how smooth my wood is. There are members on here who, I feel are jealous of us rare wood owners...you know who you are :poke:
Sometimes the typed word can read totally different from the spoken word and people get the wrong end of the stick. :)
:rofl:

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Fact is 90% of the population don't know what a Z4 is, of those that do 25% might have some idea about the different spec's and maybe 10% might notice that an example has a twin/oval tail pipe etc. Of those 1% perhaps give a hoot and a total of one or at best two individuals will be bothered to post a hostile comment about it. 65 million people in the UK think your mods are OK or don't care, so one or two people voicing a negative is hardly cause for concern :wink:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 pm

thanatu55 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 pm Ok agreed. The point I was trying to make was that I don't want to share that information, and what was made in the comment to me implied things about my personal life that don't need mentioning on here.

Anyway, it was ages ago now life moves on.
If anything i'm now more intregued to know what this information was..! way to draw attention to it :p

As Nitrix says though, this is the internet, and you have the right to ignore or say (within reason) whatever you want. Sadly some times you have to have a bit of a thick skin, you're gonna be exposed to personality types you might not mix with IRL. Having been on many many many forms of internet comms since the 90s i can vouch that this forum is pretty tame and sometimes sickeningly friendly.. hence why i'm still here!

Twin Turbo wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:50 pm But since my car did not confirm the enthusiast's expectations, been an 2 Ltr - there was constant negativity.
i agree i've seen enough ///M + 35i owners who bang on about it as if its the only true car worth own - but that's up to you to ignore and rise above (it's also simply not true), at the end of the day everyone is proud of their own specific car choice and some times people love to justify their own purchases publicly for a bit of self gratification... the same people probably still send Christmas Round Robin letters. Just because you happen to have the slightly pricier car doesn't make you a more qualified or deserving forum member - in 2017 it probably just means you have a bigger PCP deal :D
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:04 am

Nictrix wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 pm Dont tell everybody your life story. It is there for the world to read if they want to.
I do sometimes think that people share a bit too much here at times.
This :thumbsup:

There was a muppet on here a few years ago that went out of his way to find out what I did and made some stupid comment about it. Can’t remember what exactly and don’t want to. Surfice to say my profile now edited.

If they had done it now, I’d have just banned the b@stard :lol: