Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Winter layup - why fuel tank full ?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
charlie8

Post by charlie8 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Will be hibernating my Zed soon, but see a lot of advice on filling up the fuel tank when its left

Can someone explain why that helps, everything else I read seems valid, but that one puzzles me ?

Thanks
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 pm

According to the AA:

Condensation in the fuel tank is bad news and can lead to corrosion, water in the fuel and, in diesels, bacterial and fungal growth. Unless you can ensure a dry stable environment, it’s best to store your car with a full tank of fuel to reduce the space for water to condense.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:18 am

As above. I have to say I wouldn’t enjoy using the full tank knowing it’s been sat for a long time so it seems pretty loose loose to me.

I would consider filling the tank for storage and then siphoning out the fuel when you’re no longer storing and using it for the lawn mower or something.

I’d also put standard fuel in the car as v power and the like is most likely going to be sat in the tanks at the forecourt for longer meaning it’s already getting older. Maybe that’s a bit OCD, but I don’t think I’m the only one with OCD issues on the forum :D
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:42 am

The zeds have a plastic fuel tank that won't corrode. Personally I would store it as empty as possible, and put fresh fuel in before restarting after storage.

Mike

Havard

Post by Havard » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 am

As long as the fuel isn't stored for 6 months or more I wouldn't be too worried.

H
ImageImage

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:52 am

I don’t think you would notice any deterioration in the the fuel after a few months.
Even after six months with a closed system you’ll be fine You won’t be going from a lay up to a track day?

The full tank is to prevent condensation as has been said - an empty tank has a big surface area for condensation to form and the water formed will have a bigger effect than any fuel deterioration. Unless you go the the lengths of a tank purge?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:18 am

I've tended to overwinter my BMWs over the past few years as too tight to buy some winter wheels :) , so stored from beginning of Nov to middle of March. The only thing I've really ensured is the car is thoroughly warmed through before storage to minimise water in the exhaust, apart from that I just put it away with whatever amount of fuel is in it. My best friend's are a ctek charger and a rodent repeller which is under the bonnet.

Any excuse for a pic :)

Tim.

Jollyjoiner

Post by Jollyjoiner » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:22 am

Your all Wrong........

Don't store it as we can still have some nice days to get it used :D :thumbsup:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:50 am

Jollyjoiner wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:22 am Your all Wrong........

I don't want to get my car dirty :)

Tim.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:16 am

I think both for storing empty and full is something to say.
I think if you store it full with a high octane fuel or normal fuel with some fuel stabilizer thats the better option.
RON98 fuels dont age that much compared to 95 fuel, and fuel stabilizers also work good. 6 months wont be any problem.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:18 am

Jollyjoiner wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:22 am Your all Wrong........

+1!

Mike

charlie8

Post by charlie8 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks.

Based on this condensation data then, pretty sure that unless you have really drained the tank down, then the amount of water present to condense in the sealed system as a fraction of the liquid left, is very small and unlikely to have any affect on .... well anything, unless left outside in a climate that swings and for a very long period of time ?

Therefore faced with the question empty or full for 6 months, then full will win, but really sounds like either is not an issue.

My winter layup is really to work on it over a prolonged period and tick off all the jobs realized from a summer season, so most of it will also be up on stands eg DIY wheel refurb will consume a few w/s' alone

Thanks again everyone
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light .... except fear

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm

I've always spouted the 'full tank' mantra because it made sense with old cars with big steel tanks that were probably rusty when they left the factory (BL! :cry: ). But a quick check found a guy who's done the math (for boat fuel tanks specifically) and called BS on the whole theory.

Basically at a garage temp of 10 deg C the air in a half full 15 gallon tank like the e85 contains less than .5 of a gram of water vapour (= 0.1 of a tea spoon) and there is no reason to think it will condense on the inside anyway. If it did the tank is plastic and the fuel filter would deal with it the same as the rest of the year you run around with a half-full or near empty tank. Tanks are sealed so fuel degradation over a few months cant be too much of an issue. Based on this guys calcs I can't see a problem.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_cond ... _tanks.htm
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:47 pm

I use to leave my mk1 mr2 parked up all the time, once for 2 years. All I did was disconnect the battery, hooked it back up and it started first time.

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 pm

There’s some serious overthinking going on around the various threads about winter

For me

My car isn’t sorned .. it will come out at some point over the winter ... in fact it nearly did today but I bottled it as it was -9 outside and I refuse to put the roof up unless it’s lashing down :)

It is in the garage ...

It was put away ... clean

It does have a cover on it ..because of dust .., wife and children .. it offers a little protection

The tyres have the correct level of air in them .. I don’t think a few weeks will turn them into spongebob square wheels

It is hooked up to CTEK charger

It has whatever fuel it had in it when I parked it .. about a 1/4 tank iirc

And I’m really looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of it

:)
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP