Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brexit Cost - an explanation!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
markalp

Post by markalp » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 pm

TitanTim wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm Yes congratulations to all those non the wiser people who voted out, were paying for it now :roll:

Tim.
That would be meeeeeeeee :)
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 pm
TitanTim wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm Yes congratulations to all those non the wiser people who voted out, were paying for it now :roll:

Tim.

at least we got our sovereignty back and kicked all those foreigners out :thumbsup:
106,000 net migration from EU to UK last year. Despite Brexit. :wink:

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Brexit hasn't happened yet ;) you're just seeing and feeling prebrexit lows.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:28 pm Brexit hasn't happened yet ;) you're just seeing and feeling prebrexit lows.
We have a pre-brexit Royal wedding party scheduled to cheer up the country though :D
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 pm

pvr wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 pm
Buckz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:28 pm Brexit hasn't happened yet ;) you're just seeing and feeling prebrexit lows.
We have a pre-brexit Royal wedding party scheduled to cheer up the country though :D
That's Mrs G happy. :thumbsup:

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm It's called contracts and agreements, the same way you pay to leave your phone contract early.
Yes a very funny story, made me laugh :D but there a a surprising number of things that the British Government signed up for. In my own area we rely heavily on research funding . A large proportion of this aimed at medical research ( I work in ECG technology especially AF detection). One of the Europe wide grant systems is called 'Horizon 2020' .It is called this because the grant runs until 2020 by which time we will ( maybe) be outside the EU. The UK contribution has already been signed off any many UK companies (including my own ) have benifitted. If we do not replace the funding we will shut ! If we just bugger off without paying a bean then they are comitted to support European research partnerships until 2020 with no contribution from the UK (which is receiving money as part of the scheme ) Now this would be fine if the idiots running this country 'plugged the hole'. Like Boris's NHS money this just ain't going to happen.
Last edited by SeanConnor on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Sport Coupe Automatic with lots of extras.

Now with cruise control and Mediabridge :driving: Gold wheels HAVE BEEN SACKED.

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 pm

pvr wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 pm
:rofl: :rofl:

Post by sticky » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:05 pm

markalp wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Tim.
That would be meeeeeeeee :)
+1 and I remember life before EU

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 pm

Yes remember life before the EU, powercuts, 3 day week, Jimmy Saville on the telly :? Upside was I had a Raleigh Chopper, ABBA on the bedroom wall and a pack of 5 Benson & Hedges in my satchel.

Anyways the Royal Wedding can go to hell as we don't get a day off :x

Tim.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:26 pm

The explanation about sums up the divorce bill from the EU's perspective. But why aren't we telling them what we want and if we don't get it we leave without a deal and see what happens?
The result would be France and Germany having to pay an extra 10 billion between them every year from now on which of course they cannot afford and their electorate would not stand for.
Trading by world trade rules shouldn't scare anyone, China, India and the USA all trade that way with the EU and they don't do too bad do they? After we leave for instance, French, Spanish and Italian wine will be more expensive because of tariffs but Australian, American, South African and South American wine will be cheaper as we are longer in the EU they wont have to pay tariffs. Who will loose out?
As for loosing out on EU funding, where do you think that funding actually comes from? Us, we pay them, they take a cut and very kindly give some of it back to us and expect us to be grateful.

The more the divorce bill increases the better. The public and back bench MP's won't stand for it and we will leave for free.

End of rant and apologies issued.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 pm

I was and still am an avid remainer - but abide by the majority who voted out without knowing what the deal entailed - Now the Eu is beating up its high time we either called the whole thing off or tell them all to bugger off and we will go it alone as we intended!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:52 pm

[quote=Nanu
As for loosing out on EU funding, where do you think that funding actually comes from? Us, we pay them, they take a cut and very kindly give some of it back to us and expect us to be grateful.

The more the divorce bill increases the better. The public and back bench MP's won't stand for it and we will leave for free.

End of rant and apologies issued.
[/quote]

I see your point especially about the increased financial burdon on Germany and France but in some cases including Horizon 2020 the UK is by far the largest beneficiary. In this case around £88 M . The point is that we signed for this. If you bought a car on finance and then decided not to keep up payments then the finance
people would have the keys off you ASAP :D

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 pm

TitanTim wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 pm Yes remember life before the EU, powercuts, 3 day week, Jimmy Saville on the telly :? Upside was I had a Raleigh Chopper, ABBA on the bedroom wall and a pack of 5 Benson & Hedges in my satchel.
We were called the Sick Man of Europe!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:04 pm

As a once in a generation payment I’m not sure a few tens of billions either way on a 2 trillion pound GDP is going to make much difference. Better invest efforts in implementation of the split so we don’t lose a hundred billion a year through bureaucratic waste.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:46 pm