Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brexit Cost - an explanation!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:14 pm

If like me this whole BREXIT fiasco confuses you, fear no more.

The narrative below is a simple concise explanation of the whole complex process and is set out in terms we can all follow.

For me it is now crystal clear.

Mr David Davis is at the golf club returning his locker key when Mr Barnier, the membership secretary sees him."Hello Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier. "I'm sorry to hear you are no longer renewing your club membership, if you would like to come to my office we can settle your account".

"I have settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis.."Ah yes Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier, "but there are other matters that need settlement"

In Mr Barnier’s office Mr Davis explains that he has settled his bar bill so wonders what else he can possibly owe the Golf Club?

"Well Mr Davis" begins Mr Barnier, "you did agree to buy one of our Club Jackets".

"Yes" agrees Mr Davis "I did agree to buy a jacket but I haven't received it yet. As soon as you supply the jacket I will send you a cheque for the full amount".

"That will not be possible" explains Mr Barnier. "As you are no longer a club member you will not be entitled to buy one of our jackets"!

"But you still want me to pay for it" exclaims Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "That will be £500 for the jacket. There is also your bar bill".

"But I've already settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis.

"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "but as you can appreciate, we need to place our orders from the Brewery in advance to ensure our bar is properly stocked. You regularly used to spend at least £50 a week in the bar so we have placed orders with the brewery accordingly for the coming year. You therefore owe us £2600 for the year".

"Will you still allow me to have these drinks?" asks Mr Davis.

"No of course not Mr Davis. You are no longer a club member!" says Mr Barnier. "Next is your restaurant bill" continues Mr Barnier. "In the same manner we have to make arrangements in advance with our catering suppliers. Your average restaurant bill was in the order of £300 a month, so we'll require payment of £3600 for the next year".

"I don't suppose you'll be letting me have these meals either" asks Mr Davis.

"No, of course not" says an irritated Mr Barnier, "you are no longer a club member!""Then of course" Mr Barnier continues, "there are repairs to the clubhouse roof".

"Clubhouse roof" exclaims Mr Davis, "What's that got to do with me?"

"Well it still needs to be repaired and the builders are coming in next week", your share of the bill is £2000".

"I see" says Mr Davis, "anything else?".

"Now you mention it" says Mr Barnier, "there is Fred the Barman's pension. We would like you to pay £5 a week towards Fred's pension when he retires next month. He's not well you know so I doubt we'll need to ask you for payment for longer than about five years, so £1300 should do it. This brings your total bill to £10,000" says Mr Barnier.

"Let me get this straight" says Mr Davis, "you want me to pay £500 for a jacket you won't let me have, £2600 for beverages you won't let me drink and £3600 for food you won't let me eat, all under a roof I won't be allowed under and not served by a bloke who's going to retire next month!"

"Yes, it's all perfectly clear and quite reasonable" says Mr Barnier.

"Piss off!" says Mr Davis

Now we understand what Brexit is all about!!!!!
The
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:45 pm

Sadly I think this is probably true to life & not a joke at all!
Still very funny though :lol:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:03 pm

I wasn’t sure If i should laugh or cry!

GBZ4

Post by GBZ4 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:16 pm

It’s the only club I’ve ever come across that make you pay to leave. Generally I’ve been paid to leave :rofl:
2016 E89 18i Roadster - gone and forgotten

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:21 pm

Just about sums it up.
What I want to know is,where does Europe think we owe it €50-100 Billion,so we can leave,lol?!!

We have put in alot of money for many years,(I know we get alot out of it),and as this above shows,in a funny way,we are actually being asked to pay so we can leave and have none or little of the benefits of a European market.....I doubt we would benefit from being in the eurozone by that amount of money over a 10year period.(without looking at various "facts").....but do we really get €5-10 Billion pounds/euros extra benefit from being in the Eurozone,over and above what we used to get for years,prior to the Single currency,etc,When we were just in the plain old common market??

I very much doubt it!
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm

It's called contracts and agreements, the same way you pay to leave your phone contract early.

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm

They’ve got us by the balls.

I don’t think the cost is going to be any less than the obscene £40 billion they are suggesting we owe. The only chance we have is negotiating the terms.

I think Theresa May will announce she’s worked her socks off for access to the European market at the cost of a £40 billion to leave plus whatever fee per year for the trade deal - Probably not a lot less than what we are paying for the full euro membership now.

Europe is perfectly within its right to try and bleed us dry, and why wouldn’t it? We asked for it :cry:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Post by sticky » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:35 pm

The so called Brexit bill includes projects within the Eu that our illustrious leaders have committed to, until now the projects within the UK also under EU funding have not been taken into consideration. When that happens the bill will change,

markalp

Post by markalp » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:47 pm

My current thinking is that we just walk away and go to WTO tarrifs. Legally we owe nothing, infact we should be getting a rebate for all the infrastructure/buildings/investments we have made into the european union.

Another reason for walking away is that Ireland has started the blackmail gravy train, give us what we want or we will vito whatever deal emerges, who next eastern european countries? "Pay child benefits to our citizens when a parent is working in the UK or else!!" ( <-- fake news alert just me pondering blackmail reasons )
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

markalp

Post by markalp » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:52 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm It's called contracts and agreements, the same way you pay to leave your phone contract early.
Not really because we are equal partners with the other EU members, however the the phone company agreed to sell us a service for a specified length of time.

It's more like a co-op.
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

maxman

Post by maxman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:04 pm

Buckz wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm It's called contracts and agreements, the same way you pay to leave your phone contract early.
I would like to know what projects they have agreed to fund in the uk in the future,if they are not going ahead the money agreed to cover these should be taken off the final bill.
The bottom line is David Cameron wants a good kick up the asre when he instigated the referendum without fully understanding the full implications :headbang:

Post by sticky » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:35 pm

maxman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:04 pm
I would like to know what projects they have agreed to fund in the uk in the future,if they are not going ahead the money agreed to cover these should be taken off the final bill.
The bottom line is David Cameron wants a good kick up the asre when he instigated the referendum without fully understanding the full implications :headbang:
Everything that gets EU funding or subsidy, deprived areas were picking up a lot previously, Ireland got its mitts on that big time, building housing estates in the middle of nowhere. You can Google a list of what comes under EU funding in the UK, it"s fookin IMMENSE, not enough time in my great great great grandkids life time to write about it. But it will give you an idea, like we will still be contributing for EU buildings that are still under construction because WE ?? were in at the time.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Yes congratulations to all those non the wiser people who voted out, were paying for it now :roll:

Tim.

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 pm

TitanTim wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:48 pm Yes congratulations to all those non the wiser people who voted out, were paying for it now :roll:

Tim.

at least we got our sovereignty back and kicked all those foreigners out :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:32 pm

I believe the earth is flat, pigs can fly and there’s £350millon a week for the NHS :rofl: