Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash Cam legal question?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Marlon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:07 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:24 am If you have a dash cam and are involved in an accident and assuming it’s your fault, is there any compulsion to hand over this self incriminating evidence?
Basically, you are not legally obliged or compelled to volunteer anything. If you are at fault and showed dash cam footage to your solicitor that proves it, they would not disclose it – nor is your solicitor legally obliged to do so.
If the driver of the other vehicle involved has knowledge that you have dash cam footage that proves you were are fault, then they can instruct their solicitor to order the footage to be disclosed – however, by that time the footage has usually been overwritten :wink:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by kis » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:25 pm

EssexZed wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:20 am
More Police Forces are actively encouraging dash cam footage of dangerous driving to be submitted to them and are making it easier to do so. Last week the Essex Safer Roads Partnership launched their “Extra Eyes” appeal and have created a website where footage can be uploaded. https://saferessexroads.org/extraeyes/e ... what-next/ Self policing of the roads enabled by dash cam footage is obviously gathering momentum!
Good to know that footage can lead to fixed penalties. I wonder if other areas will take up this sort of approach?
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by ronk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:48 pm

More Police Forces are actively encouraging dash cam footage of dangerous driving to be submitted to them and are making it easier to do so. Last week the Essex Safer Roads Partnership launched their “Extra Eyes” appeal and have created a website where footage can be uploaded. https://saferessexroads.org/extraeyes/e ... what-next/ Self policing of the roads enabled by dash cam footage is obviously gathering momentum!
Are we then creeping towards a vigilante society?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by pvr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:59 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:48 pm
Are we then creeping towards a vigilante society?
Very much so. The fact that your car "looks" fast will be enough for the blue rinse brigade to sit outside with their cameras and film anything and be accepted as evidence. I find that very worrying and very strange that for traffic offenses it seems that anything goes, whilst if you film a burglar entering a house it is always classed as "insufficient evidence".
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Paulr

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Paulr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:57 pm

I have one, and had one ever since I had a 44 ton lorry sideswipe me in a Smart Roadster. It isn't the big things I have it for though as they are pretty rare (unless you are in Russia, it seems), it is people backing into to you for insurance fraud, or pulling out in front of you, or accusing you of hitting them etc.

I had someone pull out of a queue on a sliproad of the M20 straight into me on the inside lane of the motorway going past the queue. We pulled over and he started accusing me of speeding, reckless driving etc. and getting all on his high horse ready to bully me, at which point I said we can check the camera in my car if he would like, and he shut up instantly and we swapped insurance details and everything was sorted. I was doing 47mph BTY, he just got bored of the queue and pulled out without looking.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Steve84N

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Steve84N » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:22 am Seen a lot of this myself. It seems the people who think they are good drivers are actually the worst ones out there.
I had a camera fixed to my bike for a few months and eventually removed it and sold it. I felt that in the event of an accident, whether the actual accident was my fault or not, anything else that was recorded that day could possibly get myself into trouble.
I'd rather pay for a very occasional car park dink than be hauled up on a driving charge for completing an overtake at 70 instead of 60 on an NSL road for example. Hardly anyone drives completely to the rules of the road and the minor infractions we make are not usually dangerous but still incriminating nonetheless.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

1000rr

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by 1000rr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Someone backed into my wing in a car park a few moths ago, she ranted and raved for a while, and phoned her brother to come down. I waited for him to say his “piece” for a good few minutes and trying to blame me :x ... and after telling them both to shut up while I showed them that I had a cam and filmed everything, they admitted liability straight away ( and in cam) and my car was sorted within 5 days.

I wouldn’t be without one now.
Sterling 3.0, Bentley burgundy leather, Aeros..
Ducati Supersport S

Gaffa22

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Gaffa22 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:12 pm

The accident that killed the biker was not far from where I live.
I do feel sorry for his family, but to be honest he was riding like an idiot, that junction is a notorious spot for accidents. I'm a biker and ride quick, but there's no way I would be overtaking or speeding through that junction.
Had he been doing 60mph he would have stood a fair chance of avoiding the car. There's a good stretch of dual carriageway a couple of miles from there so why risk it.
There was another incident recently with some bikers, one of them tried to delete the footage from his chest mounted camera, he was convicted of trying to pervert the course of justice.
2010 E89 35i DCT
2017 Honda CBR1000RR fireblade
2016 Honda VFR1200F

zedwheels

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by zedwheels » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:31 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:49 pm
ronk wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:06 pm I seem to remember reading that dash cam evidence is not admissible in a court?

Yes this is true, I hear that the North Wales force also encourages the steady eddie's to send them any footage that can be used against other drivers and they too are prosecuting off these vids! This is a lot more cost effective for the police than paying for static speed cameras on the roads! they got joe public acting as freebie bobbies. :cry: I think we are all doomed its time to sell and go buy a Nissan Micra! Fitted with a nice Dash Cam ofcourse!!

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Marlon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:50 pm

zedwheels wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:31 pm
pvr wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Yes this is true, I hear that the North Wales force also encourages the steady eddie's to send them any footage that can be used against other drivers and they too are prosecuting off these vids! This is a lot more cost effective for the police than paying for static speed cameras on the roads! they got joe public acting as freebie bobbies. :cry: I think we are all doomed its time to sell and go buy a Nissan Micra! Fitted with a nice Dash Cam ofcourse!!
go for it . . .
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 19.49.22.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 19.49.22.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 665 times
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

zedwheels

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by zedwheels » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:42 pm

:rofl: :rofl: Bet that sits below all the cameras out there. :thumbsup:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by ronk » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:55 pm

Photoshop Version ?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Confused®

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Confused® » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:22 am

So have one fitted but don't tell your insurance company about it, that way you can decide when its working or not. I told my insurers and got a £60 discount on my premium, mines hardwired through a power magic pro to prevent battery drain.

Steve84N

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Steve84N » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:38 am

Most count it as a modification so you could be setting yourself up for a voided claim. Not clever.
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Dash Cam legal question?

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Steve84N wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:38 am Most count it as a modification so you could be setting yourself up for a voided claim. Not clever.
On that basis, a sat nav or even a phone charger could be counted in the same way..

Mike