Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4um dead as a dodo!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
enfield

Z4um dead as a dodo!

Post by enfield » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:15 pm

It is the 26th.... The domain name should be available now as per ski....

This is it me hearties! Z4um has gone from the pages to time (literally). A minutes silence. :cry:
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

Giles

Post by Giles » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:17 pm

Shame not everyone has made it here yet.

I wonder what's happened to Jules and Monadh etc :?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Guy's,

The domain will not be available for a good month or 2 yet. First it will be "locked" by the registrar. Only after an undetermined amount of time will it "drop", and then it will be available for re-registration.

J.

Color

Post by Color » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:41 pm

The King is dead. Long live the King!!!

(Non Europeans who don't get it should click the text)

unionjack

Post by unionjack » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:43 pm

Jim,

When it's available, grab it and have it redirect here.
Alpineweiss / Imolarot | Premium Package | Heated Seats | Navigation | Hardwired V1 | Shorty Antenna | H&R Springs | Black Kidney surrounds

sixspeed

Post by sixspeed » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:31 pm

I would second that - although it might seem a bit rude, at the same time, these forums are all about the community that they carry with them - without the users, they'd be nothing. Z4UM and the admins that run it, have had plenty of time to resurrect it if they were concerned about losing the site. If it goes to the stage that the domain expires completely, I don't see anything wrong in picking it up and forwarding it to a forum that has been started to fill the gap left...

unionjack

Post by unionjack » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:03 pm

Well I look at it this way. If we don't grab it, someone else will (likely a domain registrar) and squat on it. Then it'll be gone forever.
Alpineweiss / Imolarot | Premium Package | Heated Seats | Navigation | Hardwired V1 | Shorty Antenna | H&R Springs | Black Kidney surrounds

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:11 pm

You are correct.. I have the matter in hand... can't promise anything, but if they don't renew it then we have a fighting chance.

I don't want to "steal" a domain from anyone, in fact I wanted to contact the owner directly but there are no direct contact details on there at all.

Let's just wait and see what happens in the next few weeks.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:25 pm

Looks like it's been renewed:

Domain Name: Z4UM.COM
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
Name Server: NS1.DYNAMICNAME.COM
Name Server: NS2.DYNAMICNAME.COM
Updated Date: 26-jun-2007
Creation Date: 25-jun-2003
Expiration Date: 25-jun-2008

Color

Post by Color » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:48 pm

Big question is if Network Solutions just automatically renewed it as part of pre-paid or ongoing web hosting and domain name deal

- or -

if that means the real owner of the domain name has any real intent of resurrecting the web site.

My hunch is the first option is what's happening here, as the contact info points to some guy in Networks Solutions, and that person is probably not the 'real' owner.

An extreme measure could be to give them an offer to buy the domain name from them. This should be possible.

EDIT: Here's all the contact info: http://www.aboutus.org/Z4um.com
Last edited by Color on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:51 pm

yeah, that's true... I don't mind hosting this site for free, as I can make 100% sure the farce that went on with z4um will not happen again. I already have facility in place to cope with such a disaster. What I don't want to do is throw money at this needlessly, and I can only imagine the response if I was to "make an offer" for the domain. :roll:

This does not mean I would not enter into conversation about it, but none of the whois listings give the guys email address.

Color

Post by Color » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:02 pm

sp3ctre wrote:yeah, that's true... I don't mind hosting this site for free, as I can make 100% sure the farce that went on with z4um will not happen again. I already have facility in place to cope with such a disaster. What I don't want to do is throw money at this needlessly, and I can only imagine the response if I was to "make an offer" for the domain. :roll:

This does not mean I would not enter into conversation about it, but none of the whois listings give the guys email address.
try this:

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/r ... n=z4um.com

Maybe a kind inquiry into if this site will be 'ressurected' or not at least will provide us with some info.
Last edited by Color on Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:03 pm

unionjack wrote:Well I look at it this way. If we don't grab it, someone else will (likely a domain registrar) and squat on it. Then it'll be gone forever.
Who knows... maybe it'll turn into a :hooters: :titshake: website. I'm sure a lot of members will be visiting it again! :lol:
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:07 pm

yeah... seems to be head office networksolutions though, I saw that earlier. It's really hard to believe that all the admins and mods have disappeared off the face of the planet though.. weird!

To be honest I wouldn't go back even if it did come back... I have been entirely unimpressed with the way all the admins and mods have disappeared off the face of the planet. It had good history to it, but as far as I'm concerned that was all wasted. I can understand how it happened, but there was no excuse for such poor communication.

Running a community is a privilege and a responsibility!

Color

Post by Color » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:10 pm

Rick Hunter wrote:
unionjack wrote:Well I look at it this way. If we don't grab it, someone else will (likely a domain registrar) and squat on it. Then it'll be gone forever.
Who knows... maybe it'll turn into a :hooters: :titshake: website. I'm sure a lot of members will be visiting it again! :lol:
car-*** ? :sly2: