Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Weight loss tips?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
mclane

Re: Weight loss tips?

Post by mclane » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:29 pm

it is all a question of
consumption of calories
and
burning calories
if you eat 9000 calories more than you burn, you will have gained 1 kilogram (i.e. a little more of 2 lbs.) of bodyFAT
if you burn 9000 calories more than you have eaten, you will have lost 1 kilogram of bodyFAT
(it is like your car: if you burn 10 gallons of fuel but fill only 5 gallons into your tank at the petrol station, the weight of your car will be accordingly lower than it was when you started...
so
lower the amount of calories you eat a little bit
and
increase the amount of energy (calories) being burnt
if you walk or jogg: 1 mile is about 100 calories

so here is the plan
find the right amount of food consumption so your weight does not changed
and start walking or jogging 5 miles a day (it doesn't really matter how fast you go, the amount of energy burnt is about the same)
what does matter: do it!
after 18 days you will have burnt an extra 9000 calories, which will be one kilogram (a little more than 2 pounds of fat)
continue doing that and after 180 days 20 pounds will have gone :thumbsup:
you CAN do it
if you turn on your car, does it return the favour? Image

mrlozzer
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mrlozzer » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Exercise. Regularly. Eat healthily. Little and often, rather than big meals. And stick to it.
Sold:3.0i|Sterling Grey|heated leather|nav|DSP|18" CSL reps|452s|eibach|facelift & de-ginger|aero skirts|alcantara MFSW|CF badges|DICE|cruise|gaptech|strut brace|Alcantara M seats

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:05 pm

South beach diet, or glycemic index, it really does change the way you eat and understand how your body deals with different foods, great for diabetics too
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Mowflow

Post by Mowflow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Everyone knows what they should and shouldn't eat and drink. A lot of these fad diets often over exaggerate 1 element of a healthy diet to give people really fast results. They are rarely sustainable (along with the results) as a normal healthy diet. Just Don't eat the crap you know you shouldn't and exercise.

So many fad diets don't mention exercise. Little tricks like doing slow steady state cardio such as a 30 minute walk before you have breakfast will help. I also found that high intensity interval training is far better for weight loss than slow steady state stuff (plugging away on a treadmill for an hour). It's also a hell of a lot less boring. Another good tip is to lift heavy weights. Muscle mass helps you lose weight and don't worry about looking like Arnie ( I hear so many people say they don't lift heavy because they don't want to get all bulky) it takes years and years of extremely heavy lifting, diet control and quite possibly steroids to get anywhere near what would be considered big.

Oh yeah,drink lots of water if you don't already. Aim for 2 litres a day, more if you can. Your bladder will adjust in time :rofl:
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi

aquazi
Lifer
Lifer

Weight loss tips?

Post by aquazi » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:19 am

80% of weightloss effort is diet control... It may seem obvious but you can lose weight without even going to the gym, if you are not that way inclined.

If you can make the gym then for weightloss you are better off with some low impact cardio like the cross trainer over a sustained period then say something like running.

The time you eat is important too... My friend lost loads of weight with the "5pm" diet... Basically dont eat after 5pm each day.

Also dont been too disheartened with weight gain/ no change after a few weeks... Keep at it.

And good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:29 am

As the saying goes - a good body is built in the kitchen, not the gym. By all means cut out bread/sugar/blahblahblah but what's most important is that you're making a consistent cut in your daily calorie intake. Meal timings and such like are irrelevant if you ignore the following simple principle:

Calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) which is the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day. Try http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/. You then need to multiply that figure by your activity factor (Google Harris Benedict equation) to find out your total calorie requirements for the day. If you take 500 calories per day off this figure, you'll create a 3,500 calorie defecit over the week which will result in 1lb of weight loss. A sensible and highly sustainable figure - win! Most over weight people get a bit of a shock when they a) calculate their daily calorie needs and b) add up what they're actually eating compared to that figure...
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Weight loss tips?

Post by original guvnor » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:39 am

Mowflow wrote:Everyone knows what they should and shouldn't eat and drink. A lot of these fad diets often over exaggerate 1 element of a healthy diet to give people really fast results. They are rarely sustainable (along with the results) as a normal healthy diet. Just Don't eat the crap you know you shouldn't and exercise.

So many fad diets don't mention exercise. Little tricks like doing slow steady state cardio such as a 30 minute walk before you have breakfast will help. I also found that high intensity interval training is far better for weight loss than slow steady state stuff (plugging away on a treadmill for an hour). It's also a hell of a lot less boring. Another good tip is to lift heavy weights. Muscle mass helps you lose weight and don't worry about looking like Arnie ( I hear so many people say they don't lift heavy because they don't want to get all bulky) it takes years and years of extremely heavy lifting, diet control and quite possibly steroids to get anywhere near what would be considered big.

Oh yeah,drink lots of water if you don't already. Aim for 2 litres a day, more if you can. Your bladder will adjust in time :rofl:
Agree mowflow 100%.

Diets on their own are a waste of time and weight loss will be temporary. So many people either don't read or don't understand food labelling either. I found keeping a food diary for a week, eating and drinking what I considered to be a normal intake, was illuminating. You will be surprised at the results. Try an app like myfitnesspal or similar on a smartphone to help too.

Mowflow

Post by Mowflow » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:30 am

original guvnor wrote:
Mowflow wrote:Everyone knows what they should and shouldn't eat and drink. A lot of these fad diets often over exaggerate 1 element of a healthy diet to give people really fast results. They are rarely sustainable (along with the results) as a normal healthy diet. Just Don't eat the crap you know you shouldn't and exercise.

Agree mowflow 100%.

Diets on their own are a waste of time and weight loss will be temporary. So many people either don't read or don't understand food labelling either. I found keeping a food diary for a week, eating and drinking what I considered to be a normal intake, was illuminating. You will be surprised at the results. Try an app like myfitnesspal or similar on a smartphone to help too.
Myfitnesspal is a very good app, I use it to track my intake when I start training for competitions as it makes adjusting to drop weight in the 2 weeks prior to competing much easier.

Using an app like this along with the advice that Bradders has given regarding creating a calorie defecit will se you drop weight. Just make sure that you lower the calories by improving your diet rather than still eating the naughty stuff but just eating less of it.

It's true that you can drop weight without doing any exercise but it will depend on how over weight you are to begin with. Doing something physical will only help your cause and as aquazi has said it doesn't need to be running a marathon. Find a sport or circuit class or something that you enjoy as training with others will help to keep you motivated and is way more fun than going to the gym on your own.
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:45 am

There's the banana diet.

Have a decent breakfast & lunch, though every other time you feel hungry eat a banana & drink water...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:47 am

Ye regular exercise and healthy eating. I think eating foods that are low in cals but make you feel full are great.

With exercise 20 minutes will burn off your instant energy then after that period its burning reserves so I would say an hour a day. :thumbsup:

Good sources are swimming and cycling. Running too but people find this more strenuous and injury is more frequent down to bad technique (knees etc) but competitive sport is also a good way of keeping you entertained. Being in the gym can be very boring and can make it easier to skip and then becomes a habit. I for one find it very boring, and much prefer being outside but am active in other ways playing football, squash and cycling :) also if you struggle with bad moods then exercise can be good as it releases endorphins makes you feel good :) sounds silly but can really improve home and work life.

Bradders75

Post by Bradders75 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 am

So there you have it from the masses Cassie - eat less and move more! :wink:
2003 Z4 3.0i SE | nav / cruise / PDC / bluetooth / ellipsoids / xenons / clear indicators / m-sport seats / m-sport MFSW / ZHP / intravee |

2014 F56 MINI Cooper S | for bends |

2016 F20 M135i | for straights |

Cassie-UK

Post by Cassie-UK » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Wow, totally impressed with all the knowledge on here! I suppose a lot of it does come down to common sense.... I think for now I'm going to work on eating a little bit less, and will start up an exercise programme when I've finished the course and have a bit more time, if I survive the next two months, that is!

Thanks to all! :)
2005 3.0 SE / Black Leather / Heated Electric Seats w Driver Memory / Rear Parking Sensor / Prof Sat Nav / Loads of Fun!

RubyBlueZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RubyBlueZ4MC » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:55 pm

My flatmate is doing P90X at home and had visibly lost weight in a short period of time. Might be worth a look at.
Gone: Interlagos Blue Z4 ///M Coupe
Remains: Red Skoda Yeti DSG Family Wagon! :o and the Hubby's Topaz Blue Z3 2.8 Facelift

Woots
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Woots » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Cassie-UK wrote:Wow, totally impressed with all the knowledge on here! I suppose a lot of it does come down to common sense.... I think for now I'm going to work on eating a little bit less, and will start up an exercise programme when I've finished the course and have a bit more time, if I survive the next two months, that is!

Thanks to all! :)
ahhh there is an issue.... "when youve finished the course"
start NOW...there can be no excuses....
when we do pt sometimes the PTI will absolutely beast us, and we will all be in pools of sweat, even when we do phys with the marines etc...
and at our last one we were all in bits, and he said "guys we've only been going 12 minutes...so now you know that you will ALWAYS have enough time to destroy your body in the gym no matter how busy you are" made absolute sense
obv dont annihilate yourself but just start slowly build up, even if its just going for a 10 min walk every day :thumbsup:
Lotus Exige 350

Carol M
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Carol M » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Dukan all the way. It works and it stays off as it has a 'for life' method which is easy to maintain. :thumbsup: