Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New M3 reviews

Discuss anything non Z4 related here

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:20 pm

I sure it's great to drive and VERY quick but i'm afraid the looks do nothing for me.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:23 pm

Top pup wrote:I sure it's great to drive and VERY quick but i'm afraid the looks do nothing for me.
Seconded... looks crap (IMHO)

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:41 pm

I quite like it, I think in the flesh it will be better. If you've run an E46 M3 for say, 3-4 years, and are due a new car then it's a worthwhile upgrade, and also if you have another marque and are making the switch to BMW then that's OK too.

I'm not sure that if I had a good CSL or Z4MC that I would be paying the £15-25k upgrade price just to have one.

Top pup

Post by Top pup » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:06 pm

Wondermike wrote:I quite like it, I think in the flesh it will be better. If you've run an E46 M3 for say, 3-4 years, and are due a new car then it's a worthwhile upgrade, and also if you have another marque and are making the switch to BMW then that's OK too.

I'm not sure that if I had a good CSL or Z4MC that I would be paying the £15-25k upgrade price just to have one.
I'm not sure i'd want to upgrade regardless of the cost, i can't really see what one would do any better than my current car. I'm sure it's a fair bit faster when you get to silly speeds but lets face it thats not really relevant in the UK.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:19 pm

Looks to be as thirsty as the M5/6 too - I thought being a new design they might have made it a bit better. These small tanks might be good for overall weight and weight-distribution, but along with the thirsty engines they make the range so small.

I'm a bir surprised by the performance stats on the Autocar review - 0-100 in 10 secs dead is hugely fast, be interesting to see if that is replicated in more tests.

enfield

Post by enfield » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:52 pm

I am conflicted - as usual. I hate the fact that everyone wants to race me in my Z4M. I should probably just get a sleeper car like an Audi RS4 once I am done with the Z4M.

I keep going back and forth on the looks of the new M3. I need to see it in person....
Last edited by enfield on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Z4M Roaster & Croup are gone!
It's E92 M3 from now on.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:37 am

i would love to see one in black ... but i think i'd buy anything in Imola..

there's one major reason i can't see myself getting one - far too obvious a replacement.

Rick Hunter
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Rick Hunter » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:55 am

It's Melbourne Red for me please!

Sounds like the new M3 will be an excellent car for almost any type of use, but is a little disappointing for hardcore track-driving. I highly doubt most buyers will notice the difference that the journalists are saying, since most buyers aren't hardcore track drivers anyway.

As a daily driver, I'm afraid the M3 will be way over my maintenance budget (gas, etc.). And with the posted 0-60 times quite close to my M, I dunno why I would shell out thousands to get an insignificantly "better" car.

I love my M Coupé.
'07 Imola Red Image Coupé

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:29 pm

Updated info from two UK mags today.

Autocar -

"...calm and cultured demeanour comes as something of a shock."
"In the right circumstances, it is absolutely sensational."
"...the new M3 makes the old M3 feel just that: old."
"...it's clear from the surprisingly calm way in which it goes about being an incredibly fast car that there's a harder, more focused version in the post."

I think they're waiting for the CSL.

Autoexpress - M3 vs. RS4

"The BMW is unquestionably the better option on a track or an empty road."
"...it's not as involving as previous generations."
"Put simply, it's become too complex."
"...it's the Audi that's more fun day to day."
"So the RS4 wins this test by the narrowest of margins."