Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Efficient Dynamics

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Sephanite

BMW Efficient Dynamics

Post by Sephanite » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:35 am

Found from this link
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_highend ... erview.xml

The Engine: 6 cylinder engine runs like a 4 cylinder engine by High Precision Injection that burns less petrol to oxygen (running more lean)
Auto start/stop: In a manual, while off the clutch and not in gear, the car's engine will turn off until you put it in gear agian. wouldnt that waste more fuel if u are in neutral for a short time?
Brake Energy Regeneration: When off the accelerator and brake, converts kinetic energy to electricity
Electric Power Steering: sounds like what the z4 has but the z4 is not listed on the right
Air Vent Control:When the car does not need cool air, the vents close to increase aerodynamics. I think temp gauge wil be busy
Gear Shift Indicator: Adapts to your driving style and advizes you when is the best time to shift to save petrol

discuss?

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:39 am

I read about it a few months ago when details of the facelifted 1 series were available.

The engine stop-start is meant to be seamless, and use less fuel than keeping it going. The average fuel consumption figures were signficantly better with this technology. Gear shift indicator might get a bit tiring after a while, I wonder if you can turn it off.

Technology like this is vital for BMW because they need to lower their average CO2 emissions across the range, and for every ridiculously thirsty M5 they sell, it would be nice to offset with 30 frugal 118ds to balance the CO2.

Sephanite

Post by Sephanite » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:03 am

aiii

JimDiesel

Post by JimDiesel » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:15 am

I drove one of the facelift (177ps) 120d's recently, and the start stop worked very well. It was very intuative and easy to use. Given the performance, the economy and emissions are stunning.