Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

gratuity

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
gov

gratuity

Post by gov » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:54 pm

Just took the family out for a meal . Got the bill and noticed an optional gratuity charge added @12.5%.if I had been on my own I wouldn't have paid it out of principle - I would happily give a good tip voluntarily but not if it's just added to the bill - am I just a grumpy old man ?
Last edited by gov on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Re: graturity

Post by dr_john » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:58 pm

No, totally agree. I normally give around 10% for a good meal with good service, but it should be totally discretional.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:01 pm

Pizza Express used to do this. Not sure if they still do but always thought it was a pisstake. If I tip its at least somewhere between 10 and 15% but the service has to have been good. I won't tip for the sake of tipping and I don't want it adding automatically.
Last edited by inkey$ on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

mad4slalom

Post by mad4slalom » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:04 pm

no not at all. well cheeky I think, they have taken away yr choice whether you wish to tip or not. I will tip like you, if I feel I have been treated well. a bit like pushy sales persons, they almost make you less likely to buy than if they just asked you if you need any help to let them know but then leave you alone.

si-forks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by si-forks » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Why do people tip :| I never would in this country it's ridiculous to pay people extra for good service :x
If you go to A&E and a nurse looks after you should she get a tip!!! So why should you need to give a tip just because some one can carry food to your table
E85 Z4R 3.0si 2006 current:
Audi A3 saloon TFSI DD
Harley Davidson FLH 1969

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Post by inkey$ » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:21 pm

People tip for various reasons. Custom and tradition in countries for specific services (UK since 17th century). Also many waiters and waitresses aren't paid a great deal so people often feel this helps out if they've received a good sdevice.

I think the NHS probably don't get tips because it isn't traditional or a custom to, and people probably feel they're already paying too much in tax for a service they see as free and entitled to them. Whether that's right or not I couldn't say, but I would imagine that's the reason.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

eleflo

Post by eleflo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:23 pm

This is from the CAB web site.

Compulsory service charges must be displayed. You only have to pay a service charge if the trader makes this clear before the meal in a notice or verbally. This is because the service charge is then part of the agreement. If the restaurant does not make the service charge part of the contract in this way, you can decide whether to pay a tip or service charge, and how much this should be. :|

wrong roof, 2 pots short, stubby, wrong exhaust, no heated seats, but I luuuuv it, Now all gone to a new home

si-forks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by si-forks » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:34 pm

There are alot of people on low wages in this country doing many different jobs but why do we think only staff in restaurants should get a tip :x maybe I should give the girl in my local chip shop a tip next time :poke:
Audi A3 saloon TFSI DD
Harley Davidson FLH 1969

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:37 pm

The 12.5% is optional, so you don't HAVE to pay. I work in the F&B business and sometimes the discretionary service charge is added to the bill because that particular restaurant/brand/company have a policy to pool all tips amongst both front-of-house (waiters/waitresses) and back-of-house staff (chefs etc). That makes it easier and clearer for the company with the taxman. It's very easy to fall foul of the Inland Revenue unintentionally with this. Other places don't have a service charge and people tip the waiter who served them and they will keep their tips and the hard-working kitchen staff miss out.

The reason tipping existed was because in the days before the minimum wage, some waiters didn't receive a wage at all and earnt all of their income from tips. Even now most will only be on minimum wage and I think to not tip, if they have served you well, is mean. A good waiter/waitress is worth their weight in gold - the right level of charisma, guiding guests on what's on the menu, helping them to choose something that they will love, advising on wines etc., helping to make what might be a special night out really memorable.

si-forks
Lifer
Lifer

Post by si-forks » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:44 pm

original guvnor wrote:Even now most will only be on minimum wage and I think to not tip, if they have served you well, is mean. A good waiter/waitress is worth their weight in gold - the right level of charisma, guiding guests on what's on the menu, helping them to choose something that they will love, advising on wines etc., helping to make what might be a special night out really memorable.
Isn't this what they are already being paid to do!!
Audi A3 saloon TFSI DD
Harley Davidson FLH 1969

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:22 pm

No they are being paid the minimum wage and I've been in the business long enough to know that's no guarantee of getting good people! If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. So if a restaurant is likely to be somewhere that generates good tips you get the pick of the talent when it comes to recruitment. The guest pays one way or another. If there was no tipping all of your food on the menu would be more expensive.

henry1

Post by henry1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:52 pm

first time I went to Japan in 1968 I got a taxi, driver in white gloves and uniform, arrived at destination it was 800 yen I think gave 1000 note and left the cab, the driver chased me down the street to give me the change. Later went to a restaurant meal was 4700 yen excellent service, gave a 5000 yen note and left, waitress chased me down the street to give change.
In those days £1.00 was 860 yen, now it's about 180 yen.
I always tip good service about 10 -12 %, I know it's hard work o keep smiling on your feet all day.

jampudding

Post by jampudding » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:20 am

Do people tip in McDonalds? I should imagine they are pretty poorly paid.
Z4 3.0i Auto Black Sapphire - Dream Red Oregon - Wind Deflector/Isofix/Seat Heating/Xenon/TV/BT/Prof Carver/Elec Fold Ext Mirrors/Grad Tint WindScreen/Auto Dim Int & Ext/ Storage Comp Pack/PDC/CC/Nav Sys Prof/6 CD Changer/DDC/Chrome Line Int etc etc

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:27 am

Tipping is a joke. People choose to work as waiters, just like I chose to work in motor manufacture.

I do tip most times, but only because I feel guilt tripped into it. Prezzo always add a service charge on the bill when we go as a family. It's supposed to be optional, not something you should have to ask to remove.

I imagine a lot of people leave it on the bill because they'd feel embarrassed to ask for it to be removed. Not good service imo.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:43 am

I tip my barber but as I do I always thinks he's probably on as much money as I am, nobody tips me