Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

EE Fibre Broadband

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

EE Fibre Broadband

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone swapped by any chance from standard EE Broadband to one of their Fibre packages? I've been pretty much happy with their standard broadband but wandered what the general consensus is in their Fibre service, don't want to swap if its poor. Am I correct in thinking EE uses BTs Infinity service?

I've tried upgrading the EE package online but it won't allow me as it says they need me to contact them to arrange an engineer to come and fit an upgraded phone socket which is a bit a faff. A daft question but does anyone know what the size of the socket box is they fit, i.e. is it a standard size as per my existing,

Thanks,

Tim.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Re: EE Fibre Broadband

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:02 pm

No idea about EE but the socket (which BT should install) should be the same size and look like this:

No more filters needed, router connection at the top and phone at the bottom
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks for posting the pic Steve :thumbsup: I imagine that's why they need to put in a new box as mine is a single plug and external filter. So long as the new plug isn't tiny and the same size as my existing one.

Tim.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:45 pm

What I will say that is although they will come and replace the socket which is the same size they will also look to mount a modem somewhere nearby usually on the wall not very far from the phone socket and a power socket. You'll then connect the router to the modem. The engineer will also have to do the final part of the set up at the nearest green cabinet that your line is registered at before returning to ensure that all is set up correctly.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Angie4m wrote:What I will say that is although they will come and replace the socket which is the same size they will also look to mount a modem somewhere nearby usually on the wall not very far from the phone socket and a power socket. You'll then connect the router to the modem. The engineer will also have to do the final part of the set up at the nearest green cabinet that your line is registered at before returning to ensure that all is set up correctly.
Thanks Angie, this is whats confusing me, looking at EEs packages they have what looks like 2 routers, a Brightbox 1 and a 2, I'm assuming if you go for the 38mb package you get the Brightbox 1 which requires a seperate modem and if you go for the 76mb package you get the Brightbox 2 which has an inbuilt modem. It doesn't say though which router you get depending on the package.

I currently have a Livebox from the Orange days and no seperate modem, it just plugs straight into the phone socket. I don't really want to go with a seperate router and modem :?

Tim.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Go for the big boy speed and kill 2 birds with one stone! :lol:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Some providers do have routers with built in modems which I would recommend especially if you can't hide the modem as its rather large! Possibly enquire if you could get the other box for a fee whilst taking the cheaper package. If you feel you need more than 38mb then taking option 2 is clearly for you, however 38mb should be more than adequate for you.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:38 pm

Angie4m wrote:Some providers do have routers with built in modems which I would recommend especially if you can't hide the modem as its rather large! Possibly enquire if you could get the other box for a fee whilst taking the cheaper package. If you feel you need more than 38mb then taking option 2 is clearly for you, however 38mb should be more than adequate for you.
Thanks Angie, looking at the EE website it looks like you get combined router/modem with the fibre packages so I imagine you get the sperate modem and router with their standard broadband. Theres a tenner difference in monthlies between 38mb and 76mb. I'm currently on 25 a month with their standard broadband so an extra 20 a month is a fair bit if going for the 76mb.

Tim.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:59 pm

TitanTim wrote:
Angie4m wrote:Some providers do have routers with built in modems which I would recommend especially if you can't hide the modem as its rather large! Possibly enquire if you could get the other box for a fee whilst taking the cheaper package. If you feel you need more than 38mb then taking option 2 is clearly for you, however 38mb should be more than adequate for you.
Thanks Angie, looking at the EE website it looks like you get combined router/modem with the fibre packages so I imagine you get the sperate modem and router with their standard broadband. Theres a tenner difference in monthlies between 38mb and 76mb. I'm currently on 25 a month with their standard broadband so an extra 20 a month is a fair bit if going for the 76mb.

Tim.
Indeed it is Tim. As your already a customer I would be inclined to contact them and see what they can do for you. If you don't ask, you don't get :thumbsup:

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

Cookie

Post by Cookie » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi Tim, we changed to EE fibre last week a month after Openreach upgraded our small town with a mixture of fibre from the exchange and leaving the remaining 1000 meters of copper to the house. We have been with EE for years since they started as Freeserve. Speeds have been poor before ranging from 2mb to 7mb and on rare occasions 9. The upgrade was done over the phone and agreed on £25 per month for 12 months including line rental and free call including mobile No's. Which came down from the £30 we were paying before. It's a 16 month contract and the last 4 months go to £32. The new package offered speeds upto 38mb but the best I have clocked so far is 29mb. There was no additional wall sockets required and the new router arrived in a couple of days. Had to wait nearly 3 weeks for the fibre connection to go live but it all happened on the date given by EE.
CookieP

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:58 pm

Cookie wrote:Hi Tim, we changed to EE fibre last week a month after Openreach upgraded our small town with a mixture of fibre from the exchange and leaving the remaining 1000 meters of copper to the house. We have been with EE for years since they started as Freeserve. Speeds have been poor before ranging from 2mb to 7mb and on rare occasions 9. The upgrade was done over the phone and agreed on £25 per month for 12 months including line rental and free call including mobile No's. Which came down from the £30 we were paying before. It's a 16 month contract and the last 4 months go to £32. The new package offered speeds upto 38mb but the best I have clocked so far is 29mb. There was no additional wall sockets required and the new router arrived in a couple of days. Had to wait nearly 3 weeks for the fibre connection to go live but it all happened on the date given by EE.
Thanks for the info Cookie that's really helpful, I'll give them a call and as Angie says ( thanks Angie) will try and barter the price down a bit :)

Tim.