Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Taking the Z4 onto a channel ferry ground clearance

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Paulj100

Taking the Z4 onto a channel ferry ground clearance

Post by Paulj100 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:05 pm

Just came back from a 2 week holiday in France driving the family bus and would love to take the Z4 to France next year and I'm concerned about driving it it on and off the dfds car ferry as there was a steep ramp going up to the level and the same coming down, my Z4 is lowered by 30mm and feel it would not be able to make the ramp, has anyone exsperiaced driving there Z4 onto channel ferries?

Paul
BMW Z4 E85 3.0. Metallic sterling grey with matching Hard top, 108's red leather seats & interior OM sat nav
OM stubby Ariel and full Aero Kit: Paul's OM+ Project
MK 1 Audi TT 225 fully restored. keeper :driving:Image

srhutch

Re: Taking the Z4 onto a channel ferry ground clearance

Post by srhutch » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Mr. Wilks has I believe.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:15 pm

Paulj100 wrote:Just came back from a 2 week holiday in France driving the family bus and would love to take the Z4 to France next year and I'm concerned about driving it it on and off the dfds car ferry as there was a steep ramp going up to the level and the same coming down, my Z4 is lowered by 30mm and feel it would not be able to make the ramp, has anyone exsperiaced driving there Z4 onto channel ferries?

Paul
Have done the cross channel ferry some 90/100 times over last 15 years in a whole host of vehicles
Predominantly LdLines /Transmanche or DFDS (they are the same company using the same ferrys but they switch them from port to port at various times of the year)
Lowest car would be 911 996 with GT3 kit & no issues
The Z will have its first crossing soon :driving: along with a few others we will be going over on the DFDS Newhaven/Dieppe crossing & 2 of those are lowered :cry:
I don't envisage any problems & i have seen them using boards to ease vehicles on/off if its looking dodgy
There is always the Tunnel ? That has a sideways on/off access so less of a issue :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:19 pm

Been over to the continent via ferry & tunnel many times, and not had a problem with my Z4MC (although it's only 10-15mm lower than standard).

The benefit the Z4 has over other low sports cars is that there isn't a huge amount of front/rear overhang to get caught up on.

My e34 M5 had more issues as the overhand was about a foot longer at each end.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

exdos

Post by exdos » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:48 pm

I've taken my Z4MC on the P&O Dover to Calais ferry with under-car aero parts fitted, as shown in the photo with no problem. I just approach the ramp at an angle which helps increase clearance.

Paulj100

Post by Paulj100 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:18 pm

Cheers guys for the replies. A Freind told me if you mention it when booking a ticket they will divert you to a lower platform which has a better access how true this is I don't know.
Iv always used dfds channel ferries from Dover to Dunkirk as we can use tesco club points and get the crossings much cheaper.
Really looking forward to the trip as it will be my first trip abroad alone and driving the Z4 on some amazing roads they have out there.

Paul
BMW Z4 E85 3.0. Metallic sterling grey with matching Hard top, 108's red leather seats & interior OM sat nav

thepits

Post by thepits » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:35 pm

exdos wrote:I've taken my Z4MC on the P&O Dover to Calais ferry with under-car aero parts fitted.... I just approach the ramp at an angle which helps increase clearance.
I had a similar issue with a lowered / kitted E30 325is, which would only get up the multi storey car park ramps on an angle, otherwise :headbang:

Also my mechanic at the time lived on Prescott Hill-climb, with a drive at 90o to the circuit, so same approach was necessary - and a bit of welly as was at least a 1 in 4! :o

p.s. re previous comment, I'm sure they'll have some bits of wood if there is a problem :thumbsup:

Cats know your every thought.
But don't care.

jaRED

Post by jaRED » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:15 pm

We've done That ferry a few times with a 2 zed and zed+ Cayman combo without any problem
To be honest more frightening is the proximity of parking to other cars when you are on there :cry:
I still preferred it to the channel tunnel where I was sure I would scuff the alloys - this was also fine in reality
Redzed coupe gone but not forgotten :? , Lotus Evora providing the smiles now :driving:

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:19 am

Great question. We are thinking of invading France next year and to take the Zed would be a joy.
One Carbon Black Z4 3.0 si Roadster plus one mid-life crisis = Good times ahead!

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 am

Done it a few times both chunnel an ferry, mines on mtech springs and fully loaded with fuel, , suitcases etc never been an issue,
Biggest prob I've encountered is getting into underground car prks at hotels, the down/up ramps always seem to be on rough uneven concrete had to reverse out a few times an park ont street, :(
Moz

simonlpearce

Post by simonlpearce » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:23 pm

If your car is relatively low, you can request to go on the same deck as the lorries which is straight on straight off with no unsavory ramps. Have done this many a time when taking the track car over to the Ring. Just make sure you ask one of the stewards on arrival so they can pass the message along or they do get a bit funny about it.

That said it may be different now as i expect a lot more lorries are using the ferries given the issues with the tunnel, so space could be a premium.
Simon's Ruby Black Z4 MC Journal
viewtopic.php?t=70563

E36 M3 Evolution - Individual Journal
http://www.bmwowner.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=209427

The closer you are to death, the more alive you feel!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:51 pm

We've done the Tyne to Ijmuiden every year in an E89 with a full boot without a problem - just go gently !

I've found that if you have a particular requirement that they'll try and help. I need a wide area to get my door fully open ( dodgy legs) and they usually get me into a decent area on the ship.

Ask these questions at the check in and not when you get to the ship!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Paulj100

Post by Paulj100 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Some great advice there thank you guys. I think that if I'm concerned I should mention it when checking in at the ferry port as mentioned above.

Paul