Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone else worried about Lewis?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:00 pm

maxman wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:08 am
buzyg wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 am Well for sure if I had his pennis in the bank, I too would try to give as little as possible back to he tax man. If there is a legal loop whole, then your daft not to take advantage of it. The government are no more likely to spend it wisely that Lewis. :wink:
That's his knighthood gone down the plug hole ,he's no better than a benefit cheat in that respect in claiming money that does not belong to him. :x
The Queen is tax dodging too so she'll probably still give him the knighthood!
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

maxman

Post by maxman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:01 pm

philbo909 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:00 pm
buzyg wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 am Well for sure if I had his pennis in the bank, I too would try to give as little as possible back to he tax man. If there is a legal loop whole, then your daft not to take advantage of it. The government are no more likely to spend it wisely that Lewis. :wink:
That's his knighthood gone down the plug hole ,he's no better than a benefit cheat in that respect in claiming money that does not belong to him. :x
I had forgotten she was in the plot,he can go back on the list with all the other dodgers. :roll:
Its no wonder there is no money in the kitty for schools, police , hospitals , pensions etc :cry:

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:35 pm

buzyg wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 am Well for sure if I had his pennis in the bank
Buzyg - I don't wish to be pedantic but your spelling mislead me. This post started discussing Lewis' sexuality. Next I glanced at your post and understood you were speculating about what you might do with his 'penis' in the bank..... :o
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Newbers wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:35 pm
buzyg wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:32 am Well for sure if I had his pennis in the bank
Buzyg - I don't wish to be pedantic but your spelling mislead me. This post started discussing Lewis' sexuality. Next I glanced at your post and understood you were speculating about what you might do with his 'penis' in the bank..... :o
Yep! I did actually spot that one. But I left it in, in the sure knowledge it would cause amusement. :D

Newbers

Post by Newbers » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:09 pm

35 years on my sense of humour hasn't really developed from the third form...
Coupe, KW coil overs, PSB limiters, Powerflex ARB bushes, 18" CSL reps, Aero skirts, ZHP leather knob, Whippy and proud. Probably needs a wash :roll:

stevo///m3

Post by stevo///m3 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:05 pm

I’m not that bothered that he has allegedly swindled the VAT man; all the others have too and a fair few besides those that have been named. I think the best outcome - for Lewis and the public at large - is that he pays what he owes (15% or 35% of the £3.3m, whatever it turns out to be...) and donates a big number to a charity. Some will see that as trying to cover up something he did “wrong”. Maybe better still he sues his advisers and donates the proceeds to charity. Anyway, I’m musing :D hope it all works out fine for all concerned!
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:56 pm

He is not claiming money that doesn't belong to him, he is keeping the money that does
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:06 pm

ben g wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm
Jesus christ. You're so bitter, it's unreal :lol:

As said above, it's just a loop hole used by many to avoid taxes.

If you own a business, you're going to put as much through that business as possible to save some money. It's common sense.
Just because its legal doesn't mean its right.
There are too many celebrities/rich folk not paying their share.
Yes they are supposed to pay a higher rate than us normal people but they know that before they earn it and so should pay it.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Ethicsgradient

Post by Ethicsgradient » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:36 pm

maxman wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I had forgotten she was in the plot,he can go back on the list with all the other dodgers. :roll:
Its no wonder there is no money in the kitty for schools, police , hospitals , pensions etc :cry:
I think the queen is getting an unfair bagging . The head of state for the Cayman Islands has a wadge of cash in the Cayman Islands , is that really that shocking ?

maxman

Post by maxman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Nanu wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:56 pm
He is not claiming money that doesn't belong to him, he is keeping the money that does
According to the report on the BBC he didn't pay the vat that was due on a plane he bought in the IOM,the pathetic
bit is the amount owed would be small change to him.
What would be the outcome if everybody in the uk decided from tomorrow they would stop paying vat and income tax ,nobody likes paying tax but in a civilised society it's one of life's chores.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:54 am

maxman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:43 pmWhat would be the outcome if everybody in the uk decided from tomorrow they would stop paying vat and income tax ,nobody likes paying tax but in a civilised society it's one of life's chores.
There would be no outcome - most of us don't have that choice; PAYE being the obvious obstacle! :(

Good luck stopping paying VAT (and duty) when you next fill up! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

85genius

Post by 85genius » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Ethicsgradient wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:36 pm
maxman wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I think the queen is getting an unfair bagging . The head of state for the Cayman Islands has a wadge of cash in the Cayman Islands , is that really that shocking ?
I really don't see the issue with the Queen either.... She's actually doing the total opposite to the other celebs!

The queen is exempt from tax meaning there is nothing for her to dodge!

And she actually chooses to pay tax even though she doesn't have to
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:19 pm

I guess this kind of thing will always split opinion, but my view:

- he probably has no idea what happens with his money and pays people to manage and "maximise" his wealth because he doesn't have the time/inclination to do so himself (must be a tough decision vs driving an f1 car!)
- it's a lot of money, but is still a % of his net worth that we'd all be reluctant to pay if there was a legal way to not do so. Again though, this view was probably taken on his behalf and wasn't one he actively enforced
- tax avoidance is everywhere. If you take any kind of benefits package or car at work, for example, you're part of a tax avoidance scheme of some kind. Even some savings schemes are tantamount to the same, they're just cleverly packaged
- he's probably a net contributor to our economy, when you consider his draw as a sportsman and the fact that he doesn't really live here
- it's not like he doesn't pay taxes. He doesn't pay everything he could pay, but then neither do I. For example, I choose to put money in an ISA and to take some work benefits instead of a taxable cash allowance

Yes it's "wrong", in principle, and paying the money would be a nice gesture. But he doesn't have to. A lot of his celebrity mates will have similar tax bills but just aren't in the public eye right now. Perhaps it would be more meaningful if he paid the money to a worthy cause, but not necessarily back into the tax system? That would at least help point out how full of holes it is, which is the real problem behind all of this.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:37 am

I not sure what the big deal with Lewis and the plane is to be honest. Doesn't he reside in Monaco not the UK so how is he dodging UK tax as such if he doesn't even live here anymore.

What's more worrying for me is journalist around the world are using stolen personal financial information but no one seems to be batting an eyelid at that. Why? Because they're rich it's OK!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am

Very good point. Not sure how it can be legal for governments to use information achieved via theft either.

In normal criminal cases evidence is always thrown out if it has been obtained without a proper warrant etc, so how come this is different.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo