Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The official let off steam thread

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Paulr

Post by Paulr » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:15 pm

sticky wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:03 pm
firebobby wrote:
sticky wrote:
Because YE English moved the treatment centres to ENGLAND :poke: :poke:
Like I said, she should have been left in Sierra Leone, no one made her go there :poke:
The Scots could have stuck her on some remote island :P
Ah the joys of helping other people FOR FREE,
English Syndrome = bring it down to your level til you feel better
"FOR FREE", what? AAAARGH!!! It is 'free', not 'for free'! You are from Worthing, not Wyoming for heavens sake!

You will be saying 'off of' and 'my bad' before the day is out, mark my words... :headbang: Just as well no body spotted the 'til' though.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:16 pm

wished this was an April fool Mr Wilks - but its not is it :(
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Marlon wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:16 pm wished this was an April fool Mr Wilks - but its not is it :(
No mate it is not :( found myself painting the lounge ceiling this aft as i had told mrs W i would do it next weekend :P well sack that cause i will be out for sure :driving:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Post by sticky » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Paulr wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:15 pm
firebobby wrote:
Like I said, she should have been left in Sierra Leone, no one made her go there :poke:
The Scots could have stuck her on some remote island :P
"FOR FREE", what? AAAARGH!!! It is 'free', not 'for free'! You are from Worthing, not Wyoming for heavens sake!

You will be saying 'off of' and 'my bad' before the day is out, mark my words... :headbang: Just as well no body spotted the 'til' though.
For free as in not taking or asking for payment. Not from Worthing and you seem to have a good grasp of the redneck dialect or do I detect a lack of cold pilsner causing you problems

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:11 pm

sticky wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:01 pm

For free as in not taking or asking for payment. Not from Worthing and you seem to have a good grasp of the redneck dialect or do I detect a lack of cold pilsner causing you problems
'Free' not 'for free'. Doesn't need the 'for'. :poke: However, lack of beer is a correct diagnosis, and one I fully intend to rectify right now.

Could have sworn your profile said Worthing, sorry about that!

Post by sticky » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:43 pm

Paulr wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:11 pm

'Free' not 'for free'. Doesn't need the 'for'. :poke: However, lack of beer is a correct diagnosis, and one I fully intend to rectify right now.

My location is Worthing, I meant I am not from Worthing as such, only live here when I am in the UK. Sorry for the somewhat incorrect grammar, I have spent most of my adult life abroad conversing in German, Danish and Dutch so there is probably more mistakes to come. Probably putting smiles on some faces,

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 pm

sticky wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:43 pm
Paulr wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:11 pm

My location is Worthing, I meant I am not from Worthing as such, only live here when I am in the UK. Sorry for the somewhat incorrect grammar, I have spent most of my adult life abroad conversing in German, Danish and Dutch so there is probably more mistakes to come. Probably putting smiles on some faces,
Good heavens, don't apologise! I am just a grumpy old man with an irritation of the all-too could common use of the expression 'for free'. I am sure there are better things to get grumpy about though so I don't let it rule my life too much. But this is the rant thread! :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:42 am

Paulr wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 pmGood heavens, don't apologise! I am just a grumpy old man with an irritation of the all-too could common use of the expression 'for free'. I am sure there are better things to get grumpy about though so I don't let it rule my life too much. But this is the rant thread!
So from another grumpy old pedant who is borderline OCD about the correct use of grammar, what is the word in bold and italics doing in that sentence of your post? :P

No offence intended by the way, I'm just ranting! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:06 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:42 am
Paulr wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 pmGood heavens, don't apologise! I am just a grumpy old man with an irritation of the all-too could common use of the expression 'for free'. I am sure there are better things to get grumpy about though so I don't let it rule my life too much. But this is the rant thread!
So from another grumpy old pedant who is borderline OCD about the correct use of grammar, what is the word in bold and italics doing in that sentence of your post? :P

No offence intended by the way, I'm just ranting! :thumbsup:
That is another thing - bloody predictive text!!! Where did that random 'could' appear from in my underpants? this PT just put is any old hedgehog when it feels like it. It was not there when I pressed the Bolivian Armed Forces button.

I suffer from PPTS - Post Predictive Text Syndrome

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm

Paulr wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:06 pmThat is another thing - bloody predictive text!!! Where did that random 'could' appear from in my underpants? this PT just put is any old hedgehog when it feels like it. It was not there when I pressed the Bolivian Armed Forces button.

I suffer from PPTS - Post Predictive Text Syndrome
I know the feeling - whenever I use a new mobile turning predictive text off usually the first thing I do as it just creates random cr*p! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:32 am

Clearly I am showing my age if I dare call anyone out for the constant and annoying use of 'like' multiple times in every sentence (so I don't call them out), but surely the end of civilisation as we know it is fast approaching when you see someone type the damn thing in a forum post (not Z4 forum), e.g. "That must have been back in like 1977 or something"
Someone actually had to take the time and make the effort to add those four letters (and spaces) to their post - WHY??? :headbang:
I'm probably a bit of a 'waffler' when typing, but that's just taking the p!ss...
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Ethicsgradient

Post by Ethicsgradient » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:28 am

We managed to set our race on the path to build civilisation without grammar,so I doubt bad grammar will destroy it. Eventually in this age of global communication the whole world is going to use a form of English.. I call it YouTube English as that seems to be the global teacher of English so you can expect it to be a younger slang littered grammatical nightmare, but that's what it is going to be judging on my well travelled experience of non-English speaking countries versions of English which all seem to be merging into the same version.

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:21 am

enzed4 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:32 am Clearly I am showing my age if I dare call anyone out for the constant and annoying use of 'like' multiple times in every sentence (so I don't call them out), but surely the end of civilisation as we know it is fast approaching when you see someone type the damn thing in a forum post (not Z4 forum), e.g. "That must have been back in like 1977 or something"
Someone actually had to take the time and make the effort to add those four letters (and spaces) to their post - WHY??? :headbang:
I'm probably a bit of a 'waffler' when typing, but that's just taking the p!ss...
Americanisations in general... (or should that be Americanizations?) Starting every sentence with 'So....', please gather your thoughts before opening your mouth, rather than fill the empty space with useless words. 'Calling someone out' - can't we just challenge somebody anymore? The latest one doing the rounds at work is 'surfacing problems' - why do we feel the need to mangle a perfectly good language? :headbang:
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 am

z4pilot wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:21 am 'Calling someone out' - can't we just challenge somebody anymore?
Got me :wink: . I guess you called me out for using Americanisms.
Good show, old chap :rofl:
(What do you expect from us Colonials...)
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

z4pilot

Post by z4pilot » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:53 am

enzed4 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 am
z4pilot wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:21 am 'Calling someone out' - can't we just challenge somebody anymore?
Got me :wink: . I guess you called me out for using Americanisms.
Good show, old chap :rofl:
(What do you expect from us Colonials...)
:D

The thing about Americanisms though, is that you instinctively know what they mean, it's just that they're not very elegant... 'Most winningest', which I presume means 'most successful'... Or the appalling 'Bigly', when describing the size of something... WTF? (sorry, that's probably an Americanism too! :D )
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...