Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speed Camera detectors

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
pvr
Legend
Legend

Speed Camera detectors

Post by pvr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:28 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
pvr wrote:Oh, and ask Bing how clear the sound is with the roof down, approx 100 mph on the French motorways .... 8)
Thought his detector was broken and he couldn't get a replacement part 'coz you sold him outdated tech... :whistle:
It was the "other" device ... speaker only under the dash.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Speed Camera detectors

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:48 pm

Right, after doing a lot of reading over the last few weeks, I'm going to order the Cheetah C550 with an additional windscreen mount and power lead to make switching it between cars as simple as possible - I'll also buy the Platinum subscription service for £35 which extends the warranty to 3 years and gives lifetime database updates

I shall let you know how I get on...
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

rhapsodicboom

Speed Camera detectors

Post by rhapsodicboom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Therese a tom tom speed camera app which ive tried out and from what ive used it does work and warn about cameras. Been looking and thinking of getting "road angel" read quit good reviews about it but i think it works on a membership not sure thou.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Speed Camera detectors

Post by pvr » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:09 pm

PerryGunn wrote:Right, after doing a lot of reading over the last few weeks, I'm going to order the Cheetah C550 with an additional windscreen mount and power lead to make switching it between cars as simple as possible - I'll also buy the Platinum subscription service for £35 which extends the warranty to 3 years and gives lifetime database updates

I shall let you know how I get on...
Perry - does it update without a PC or does it need the online connectivity?

Second question - are mobile cameras notified as soon as someone reports it like RoadAngel (used?) to do?
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Speed Camera detectors

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:10 pm

rhapsodicboom wrote:Been looking and thinking of getting "road angel" read quit good reviews about it but i think it works on a membership not sure thou.
I had a look at the Road Angel Gem but the subscription prices put me off - £65/year or £170 for 3 years is a bit much....
Alpina Roadster S #320

rhapsodicboom

Speed Camera detectors

Post by rhapsodicboom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:14 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
rhapsodicboom wrote:Been looking and thinking of getting "road angel" read quit good reviews about it but i think it works on a membership not sure thou.
I had a look at the Road Angel Gem but the subscription prices put me off - £65/year or £170 for 3 years is a bit much....
That is quiet expensive but i guess its updated regularly. Ive seen speed cameras around my area change positions and locations on the same road a few times. Whereas i would get the cheaper ones with no subscription but dont know if its really a live update. lol i hate looking into buying stuff and end up critically analyzing everything takes me forever to get things which i want.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Speed Camera detectors

Post by PerryGunn » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:21 pm

pvr wrote:Perry - does it update without a PC or does it need the online connectivity?

Second question - are mobile cameras notified as soon as someone reports it like RoadAngel (used?) to do?
It needs to be plugged into a PC for updates but is USB-powered for this so doing it a couple of times a month shouldn't be too onerous

Apparently, as part of the database, it has a set of mobile camera locations and you can turn these on if you want. One of the reasons the Road Angel Gem subscriptions are so expensive is that they have a SIM card and do the live updates - I'm happy with the compromise as the mobile cameras I've seen around here always tend to use the same locations and only setup for a few hours at a time
Alpina Roadster S #320

David-H

Speed Camera detectors

Post by David-H » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:10 pm

I have an Aguri Skyway but don't know how effective it is as it has warned me a couple of times but I was below the speed limit each time anyway, so not a lot to judge it on other than it seems to detect laser & radar emissions! :roll:
BMW Z4 3.0i auto ¦ Titanium Silver
107's : Drexler LSD
BMW M6 Gran Coupe ¦ Black Sapphire Metallic
DCT box with competition pack
Audi R8 4.2 Quattro¦ Grey metallic
6-speed manual :driving:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Speed Camera detectors

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:14 pm

I have the Snooper DVR-4HD in my DD, which I rate VERY highly. Have had LOTS of cameras/gps based detectors over the years, and the Snooper is EXCELLENT, combining a brilliant camera AND GPS based speed camera warnings with free lifetime updates. I also have the Snooper DVR-1HD in the rear window.

I also have erm, laser based "garage door opener" type devices on my vehicles, which are devastatingly effective - But that's another story :oops:

Mike
Last edited by Ducklakeview on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bing
Legend
Legend

Speed Camera detectors

Post by Bing » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:16 pm

PerryGunn wrote:
My second B2 just died last week actually (forgot to mention it on Sunday) - fortunately this time after the subscription expired. I have also been looking for a new one, and had figured the cheetah was the one to get, so I'll be interested how you get on. Maybe you can help me de-install my old one and get the other one plugged into power in the car Perry, if you're feeling generous with your time one day :D

The road Angel gem is not only really expensive, it is also quite a sizeable unit. I quite like where my B2 is, though that may make powering it harder.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Speed Camera detectors

Post by PerryGunn » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:01 am

Bing wrote:I have also been looking for a new one, and had figured the cheetah was the one to get, so I'll be interested how you get on. Maybe you can help me de-install my old one and get the other one plugged into power in the car Perry, if you're feeling generous with your time one day :D
No problem Al - just got to work out how to do it on #320 and the X3 first... :thumbsup:
Alpina Roadster S #320

85genius

Speed Camera detectors

Post by 85genius » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:55 am

Ducklakeview wrote:I have the Snooper DVR-4HD in my DD, which I rate VERY highly. Have had LOTS of cameras/gps based detectors over the years, and the Snooper is EXCELLENT, combining a brilliant camera AND GPS based speed camera warnings with free lifetime updates. I also have the Snooper DVR-1HD in the rear window.

I also have erm, laser based "garage door opener" type devices on my vehicles, which are devastatingly effective - But that's another story :oops:

Mike
I hope you have a matching device on your garage door, if not you could face a perverting the course of justice charge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... -guns.html
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Speed Camera detectors

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:11 am

85genius wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:I have the Snooper DVR-4HD in my DD, which I rate VERY highly. Have had LOTS of cameras/gps based detectors over the years, and the Snooper is EXCELLENT, combining a brilliant camera AND GPS based speed camera warnings with free lifetime updates. I also have the Snooper DVR-1HD in the rear window.

Mike
I hope you have a matching device on your garage door, if not you could face a perverting the course of justice charge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... -guns.html
Of course I do, what else would it be used for? The new gates will also be having a receiver fitted once they are up :driving:

Just for info, the "older" ones, such as the LTI mentioned in that article, actually give an error code on the gun, whereas the newer one's don't - They just "prevent" a reading for a few seconds, whilst sounding an alarm and muting the radio, before shutting down completely and allowing a reading to be taken.

Mike

pvr
Legend
Legend

Speed Camera detectors

Post by pvr » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:41 am

One prosecution in 10 years is not particular disturbing news ...
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Speed Camera detectors

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:28 pm

pvr wrote:One prosecution in 10 years is not particular disturbing news ...
That's my stance - When I was on the cabs in Liverpool, I'd regularly get hit twice in the early hours of the weekend mornings. The plod used to park up on the dock road, and just sit there picking cabs off as they sped in and out of town. They never bothered pulling them, it was just a "ticket in the post" job. It got so bad that the local taxi driver's association wrote to Merseyside Police complaining that they were being targeted for revenue, and if the practice persisted, they would stop collecting fares in the city centre at letting out time, and would not be responsible for the ensuing carnage caused by thousands of drunks with nowhere to go. The practice was "unofficially" stopped for I believe a six month period.

Yes, I know speeding is illegal, but at 3am on a dual carriageway in and out of town, with a 40 limit, they were taking the pi$$..

Mike