Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Repairing a very damaged BMW

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU6LU-DXiCo I did watch this in some wonder. A very damaged BMW unrepairable I would have thought, crushed chassis rails, buckled roof, creased floor and windcreen surround damaged but the chap even with his hairy back puts it all back together. A machine may have put the car together but a human can fix it.

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:07 pm

Watched a few of this guys videos. Very talented, but I have my doubts if these really should be repaired. He has replaced Roofs cutting all the pillars. Cut and shut springs to mind. :cry:

But the fact he posts them up I assume he has nothing to hide.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:19 pm

I never see the point in repairing such badly damaged cars, I find it quite frightening really that a family could be riding around in something like that :cry:

Tim.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Amazing craftsmanship, but I would worry about the rigidity of the subframe after all that pulling back into shape :cry:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:46 pm

Marlon wrote:Amazing craftsmanship, but I would worry about the rigidity of the subframe after all that pulling back into shape :cry:
No doubt the guy can make a car look like a car again but who knows what the structural integrity is like. I'm never keen on damaged repaired cars where the structure has been seriously compromised, I just wouldn't risk it as an ownership proposition. To the unsuspecting person buying that car, if it looks ok then it must be ok. Proof of the pudding is if it was involved in another accident, I imagine it would just disintegrate.

Tim.

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm an automotive engineer and I would honestly not drive this car... once the material has gone into plastic deformation (changed shape), its internal structure changes and effectively weakens.
Imagine bending a piece of aluminium until it snaps. Then bend it again a few more times - it's not nearly as strong as it originally was.
Yes, the original piece was plastically deformed into that shape (depending on manufacturing process), but it was designed to be that way - with a lot of thought gone into it.

This guy is just pulling and bashing at the metal to make it look OK. In fact, every piece he manipulates is weakened by everything he does to it

Just my two cents :P :oops: :evil:
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

Post by sticky » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:32 pm

Lithuania, I think, not western Europe. Baltic States is cheaper for them to import split/damaged and parts to assemble. Apparently the import tax on cars varies depending on what you bring in. The car re-built over there means less tax. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:50 pm

Tcochrane92 wrote:I'm an automotive engineer and I would honestly not drive this car... once the material has gone into plastic deformation (changed shape), its internal structure changes and effectively weakens.
Imagine bending a piece of aluminium until it snaps. Then bend it again a few more times - it's not nearly as strong as it originally was.
Yes, the original piece was plastically deformed into that shape (depending on manufacturing process), but it was designed to be that way - with a lot of thought gone into it.

This guy is just pulling and bashing at the metal to make it look OK. In fact, every piece he manipulates is weakened by everything he does to it

+1
I think this totally sums it up for me. Its not a question of can it be fixed, the guys obviously skilled. Its clearly a question of should it be fixed.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:10 pm

MACK wrote:
Tcochrane92 wrote:I'm an automotive engineer and I would honestly not drive this car... once the material has gone into plastic deformation (changed shape), its internal structure changes and effectively weakens.

+1
I think this totally sums it up for me. Its not a question of can it be fixed, the guys obviously skilled. Its clearly a question of should it be fixed.
Agree, very interesting to see his skills but-
I wouldn't like to think my kids were driving around in that :cry:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:42 pm

Be interesting to see how it faired on a crash test bed. I'm sure it would drive ok but should it be in a crash I doubt very much it would stand up well. As said if I remember correctly from physics class in school the molecular structure will have changed and you simply cannot return it to how it was, plus all that cutting out and re-welding, looks like a death trap to me and no way would I drive the bloody thing. Totally agree with those that said yes it can be done but should it? Scrap the thing.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm guessing these repaired cars are sold in countries where the owner wouldn't necessary have a hope in hells chance of affording a new or secondhand motor and the thought of owning a BMW albeight a potential death trap would be a dream come true.

Tim.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Skilled metal worker, but as others have said the structural integrity is seriously compromised

I'm sure in it's next accident it would fold up like a paper bag and not absorb the forces

Not something I'd like to head off down the motorway in
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Post by sticky » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:10 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Skilled metal worker, but as others have said the structural integrity is seriously compromised

I'm sure in it's next accident it would fold up like a paper bag and not absorb the forces

Not something I'd like to head off down the motorway in
+1 :headbang: :headbang:

shawna

Post by shawna » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Have you seen the ones of the 7 series?

A literally textbook cut and shut???

:thumbsdown:

Post by sticky » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:34 pm

shawna wrote:Have you seen the ones of the 7 series?

A literally textbook cut and shut???

:thumbsdown:
Cut and shunt more like. All in the name of greed