Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car Hire Australia

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Vonlipvig

Car Hire Australia

Post by Vonlipvig » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 am

Wife and I are finally making the big trip over to Auz! We have been looking for something fun to hire which we wouldn't necessarily be able/easy to drive over here but are having a hard time. The places we have found that offer a 'premium car', the class of car ranges from a bentley (yes please) to a mini clubman and you cannot specify :thumbsdown:

My question to you all is, have you rented a car over there and do you have any recomendations? Got a couple of months before we go and sould be hiring around Cairns. Answers on a postcard please
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

alane29

Car Hire Australia

Post by alane29 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:17 am

I spent 3 weeks driving around Austraila in Janurary 2000 ,hired a saab 93 convetible through Hertz from the uk.Picked it up in Sydney .Having a convertible was a waste of money to be honest as it was too hot to have the roof off except in the evening plus no room for 2 suitcase one in the boot and one went on the back seat :rofl: .
I would suggest dropping them an email with your choice and see what they say .
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

Jaw

Car Hire Australia

Post by Jaw » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:25 am

what sort of thing are ya looking for? May know someone who can help.

As for the usual companies, you can rent Holden Commodores etc which are the v8 saloons, hertz have their sporty range which includes a renault megane 265 cup, boxsters (boxster is quite expensive from memory)

deffo a few companies out there though..
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Vonlipvig

Car Hire Australia

Post by Vonlipvig » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks for the reponses folks. Wife really is after a mustang, as I am tbh... Origionally was looking for a convertable but fair point about the heat, I can stand the cold with the roof down here, not sure about the heat.

The RS Megane is a no for us, brother has one so can sccratch that itch. A boxter is a maybe for me, not so much for the wife. The holdens I was tempted by simply as we don't have them over here so could be an option.

Honestly, never thought about emailing them :rofl: will porobably be the best bet to see exactly whatthey have.

Whatever we get, will definatly get some pics :thumbsup:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Jaw

Car Hire Australia

Post by Jaw » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:58 pm

you'll be able to do a mustang through hertz (and an r8 depending on where you're going ;))
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Deddi

Car Hire Australia

Post by Deddi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Holden SS Commodore. Comfy and ideal for long straight boring roads, which is what you get over there. Massive ridiculous engine that sounds awesome. Looks great too.
Mineral grey E89 2.0M sport 2015

Sae

Car Hire Australia

Post by Sae » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Did a trip a few yars ago had were we drove all over mainly east and south east coast, we went for a standard suv type thing. Mainly for size which gives a bit of safety, can carry 2suitcases plus all the other accumulated s**t, and larger profile tyres which we didnt need to worry about grounding the car if you went off/close roading.
Would have been nice to have done some mileage in sonething more exotic, however, practicality and safety first :)
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Zed Five

Car Hire Australia

Post by Zed Five » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:56 pm

In Brisbane I rented a Ford Falcon V8 from one of the standard rental companies in the CBD. - Hertz I think. Purple metallic V8. drove it down to Sydney.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Vonlipvig

Car Hire Australia

Post by Vonlipvig » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Sounds like there is hope of something a bit nicer so thank you all again. We will only be hiring a car in Cairns, not bothering in Sydney as not there long as will be shattered. I think from the response Hertz seem to be the way to go, has generally come up decent prices too. Will defiantly give them an email see what they can offer as well rather than the 'book and hope' option.

What ever we get, I'm sure I will still enjoy getting back to the Z :driving:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Zed Five

Car Hire Australia

Post by Zed Five » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Just remember that the police in Oz are very hot on speeding. They also have no sense of humour :|

'Have you got a criminal record sir?'

- 'didn't know i still needed one to be here.'

(handcuffs). :lol:
Last edited by Zed Five on Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Vonlipvig

Car Hire Australia

Post by Vonlipvig » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:43 pm

Zed Five wrote:Just remember that the police in Oz are very hot on speeding. They also have no sense of humour :|

'Have you got a crimal record sir?'

- 'didn't know i still needed one to be here.'

(handcuffs). :lol:
:rofl:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Car Hire Australia

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:51 am

AhadBaten wrote:Final Rentals is a platform that will allow you to compare best prices for car rentals.
You must check this out . I had a very good experience with them :thumbsup:
That's ur first post? :?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Vonlipvig

Car Hire Australia

Post by Vonlipvig » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:22 pm

After looking around for something nice and unable to find anything 'special', we are going cheap. Going with a Toyota Corrolla or similar for a week, only £165 with insurance included and unlimited mileage, not bad all together.

I did spot a special something in their fleet, not available in Australia though
Attachments
HireCar.png
HireCar.png (49.5 KiB) Viewed 776 times
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Car Hire Australia

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:45 am

Vonlipvig wrote:After looking around for something nice and unable to find anything 'special', we are going cheap. Going with a Toyota Corrolla or similar for a week, only £165 with insurance included and unlimited mileage, not bad all together.

I did spot a special something in their fleet, not available in Australia though
Don't blame you OP - based on my experiences, despite all the Oz machismo there is no point having anything vaguely exciting!

Lane discipline is appalling, they all drive at the speed limit on main roads - mainly because if the Police are about they WILL nick you for 3 mph over the limit. Then as a special treat they double the fines on Public Holidays! No wonder Holden have given up making V8 Utes. :lol:

If you are "Hooning" they will confiscate the car - as Lewis Hamilton found out some years back! Not a big problem for him, just meant the local Benz dealership had to deliver another AMG to his hotel but it could be tricky with a rental!

White goods will do fine, just make sure you have air-con - I had a 2 litre Kia Cee'd and a Toyota Camry (both autos) and they were fine for what was needed. (Actually the Cee'd was a pretty good car to be fair - the Camry was a bit too lardy for my liking).

Hope you have a great time. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black