Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ticking Fridge

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:56 am

Anyone a fridge expert :)

I have a lec freestanding fridge freezer about 18 months old and a few days ago starting ticking quite loudly. Looked round the back of it and looked to be coming from a little box next to the compressor. Fridge is still working to temp. I googled it and looks to be the overload relay. Unsure what this does but over the past few days it's got quieter and the noise has gone. As it's on an extended warranty I've got someone coming out on Monday but wandering if it might be a waste of time now. If the part has stopped being noisy does this mean it's failed or is OK.

Cheers,

Tim.
Last edited by TitanTim on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:36 am

I think it means the cockroach that crawled in and got trapped in the cooling fan mech has now disintegrated completely.
Yw :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:35 am

Chris_D wrote:I think it means the cockroach that crawled in and got trapped in the cooling fan mech has now disintegrated completely.
Yw :thumbsup:
:lol: Thanks Chris. I can rest easy now its only cockroaches :)

Tim.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:54 am

Had you recently loaded it with food when it started ticking? Is it a frost free one?

Have you checked to make sure the condenser fins aren't covered in dust, as this would make it work a lot harder, and would not be covered under a warranty call, as it's routine customer maintenance, and usually chargeable.

If the condenser coils are on the back, it isn't pushed up tight against a wall is it?

Mike

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:16 am

Ducklakeview wrote:Had you recently loaded it with food when it started ticking? Is it a frost free one?

Have you checked to make sure the condenser fins aren't covered in dust, as this would make it work a lot harder, and would not be covered under a warranty call, as it's routine customer maintenance, and usually chargeable.

If the condenser coils are on the back, it isn't pushed up tight against a wall is it?

Mike
Thanks Mike, it just started ticking or clicking out of the blue and handn't had the doors open for any length of time. Its a frost free fridge. The condenser fins are not exposed at the back, its completely flat at the rear with just the electrical gubbins and compressor etc recessed at the bottom. My previous Zanussi had the fins exposed at the back and once/twice a year would hoover the fins and wipe it down. I only pulled the fridge out a few months back as was painting the kitchen out and I hoovered out the recess at the bottom so it can't be gummed up with anything. Maintenance wise there's not much to do. Theres plenty of space at the rear for ventilation 5 inches or so away from the wall so can't be a ventilation issue as its not working overtime or anything. The fridge seems to be working fine but maybe best to get it checked as if the overload relay has failed it might not be a problem now but once the summer comes and hotter days it might be an issue :|

Tim.
Last edited by TitanTim on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:22 am

The condenser will be at the bottom rear next to the compressor then, and it will have a fan cooling it. If you can, check that the fan is rotating, and that the fins are clear of dust. A failed fan motor will make it overheat whilst still cooling.

Mike

DMC63

Ticking Fridge

Post by DMC63 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:41 am

Is it a 2.5i or a 3.0i? I love this forum. Where else would someone post about a fridge on a sports car forum. Fantastic. I know I have too look no further for support and advice on anything that may go wrong or right in my life. 'Gratitude moment' :) .
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by RickRob » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:03 pm

DMC63 wrote:Is it a 2.5i or a 3.0i? I love this forum. Where else would someone post about a fridge on a sports car forum. Fantastic. I know I have too look no further for support and advice on anything that may go wrong or right in my life. 'Gratitude moment' :) .
What do you mean, this is a sports' car Forum? When did that start?
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:12 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:The condenser will be at the bottom rear next to the compressor then, and it will have a fan cooling it. If you can, check that the fan is rotating, and that the fins are clear of dust. A failed fan motor will make it overheat whilst still cooling.

Mike
Thanks again Mike, I dragged it out earlier and had another look and took a pic :lol:

The fans look to be hidden but checked when it came on and their working ok as you can hear them and there is blast of cold air through the vents inside the fridge. The part that was ticking is the blue box to the left of the compressor, its all quiet now. I need to check the terms of the extended warranty which I took out with AO.com and is through Appliances Direct as if there is nothing wrong with it they might charge a call out fee. The part must have been making the noise for a reason but obviously I don't know if its faulty until checked.

Imagefree photo hosting

Tim.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 pm

No condenser in there by the look of it, I was referring to a fan cooling the condenser, not inside the fridge. Looks like it has the condenser hidden in the back. Does the back get warm?

Mike

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:No condenser in there by the look of it, I was referring to a fan cooling the condenser, not inside the fridge. Looks like it has the condenser hidden in the back. Does the back get warm?

Mike
I didn't notice if anything was warm to be honest but can check again when I notice its running. I remember with the Zanussi I had previously the compressor would get red hot :? but nothing felt hot when I checked earlier. If the condensor or the compressor wasn't working then I would have thought there would be no cooling? The freezer part is getting ice cold still and can feel the cold air being blown through the vents inside the fridge so unsure.

Tim.

Paulwirral

Ticking Fridge

Post by Paulwirral » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm impressed you own a seperate fridge just for tickin , I have to put all my poultry and meats in the same one !

Sorry , someone had to say it .

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Paulwirral wrote:I'm impressed you own a seperate fridge just for tickin , I have to put all my poultry and meats in the same one !

Sorry , someone had to say it .
:lol:

I don't have a freezer in the garage like most, the car is far more important :thumbsup:

Tim.

DMC63

Ticking Fridge

Post by DMC63 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:18 pm

RickRob wrote:
DMC63 wrote:Is it a 2.5i or a 3.0i? I love this forum. Where else would someone post about a fridge on a sports car forum. Fantastic. I know I have too look no further for support and advice on anything that may go wrong or right in my life. 'Gratitude moment' :) .
What do you mean, this is a sports' car Forum? When did that start?
:?
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Ticking Fridge

Post by john-e89 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:33 pm

You got life insurance Tim? Does she know where it is? Has she recently bought some fertiliser saying she wants to suddenly start growing 'tomatoes' etc,? Did you notice your long forgotten egg timer suddenly appear then disappear again just as quickly? Has she recently been taking to spending time in the garage and asking for bits of wire etc,?
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29