Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Terrifying loss of traction Porsche 718 S

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
JustCruzin

Post by JustCruzin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Had an awful experience on a few days back in my 2 month old Cayman 718 S driving home from my folks.

Here’s a download link to the dashcam footage (let me know if it fails to work):

https://1drv.ms/v/s!At0hlyLMLx12kUv2voyItjinDD8d

There was sudden loss of traction at about 38 mph as I entered a slip road with a frankly terrifying fishtailing from the back end. I am counting my lucky stars that I somehow managed to turn the car away from the solid concrete wall to my right and veer onto grass pavement verge and avoid hitting a lamp post and pedestrian who was fortunately not closer to the car when this occurred.

I appreciate that there may have been some ice or diesel on the road however no other vehicles appeared to have been affected ahead of me but I accept most of these would be FWD. It was really was a very unpleasant experience.

The front passenger tyre eventually went flat about an hour after I got home which was fortunately only two miles further. The rear tyre has side wall damage. £500 cost to replace tyres :( A small section of the outer rims of both alloys has taken some damage. I am really hoping nothing more serious has occurred to the suspension. No funny noises when I drove home.

Porsche will have a look at the car next week. I have chosen not to call my car insurer just yet as my excess is £450. I probably will call them if any more significant damage is found by Porsche.

Any further advice from all you wise folks would be very much appreciated.

Rather deflating all this.... new year and all that....

Arif :( (AKA JC)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:03 pm

Having just looked, I have to say - Driver error....

Too early/too much power before the bend had straightened out, coupled with over correction.

Could have been a LOT worse though..

Twitchy bum moment for sure..

Mike

dhracer

Post by dhracer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:07 pm

:( sorry to hear about the damage. To me it just looks like you put your foot down whilst still in the bend and the back end stepped out. Did you have the TC off?

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:40 pm

have to concur with mike and dh. too early on the power in the bend then you were probably straight off the gas, inducing a bit of a tank-slapper. coupled with the road looking a bit greasy and ur tyres were prob cold ur always gonna lose traction, even at relatively low speeds.
i'd suggest a few track days with an instructor, focusing on traction loss and how to correct if you haven't already done this. have done a few instruction days and the benefits have gotten me out of quite a few scrapes at the 'ring. (but not all)
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:53 pm

I would likely agree with the above. I've done similar myself when I first bought the ///M, but got away with it. :oops:

Definitely get the suspension, especially the rear, checked out. I also had my FWD Mondeo Si 24v, try and kill me in the Saltash tunnel, when I first bought it. Lift off over steer, into a small roundabout at the entrance, that took two or three goes to catch. Turned out the rear suspension arm was bent almost 90 degs on the off side. :o

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Chris_D wrote:have to concur with mike and dh. too early on the power in the bend then you were probably straight off the gas, inducing a bit of a tank-slapper. coupled with the road looking a bit greasy and ur tyres were prob cold ur always gonna lose traction, even at relatively low speeds.
i'd suggest a few track days with an instructor, focusing on traction loss and how to correct if you haven't already done this. have done a few instruction days and the benefits have gotten me out of quite a few scrapes at the 'ring. (but not all)
From what I could see, you did try to correct it, but possibly not smoothly enough, and ended up overdoing it. That's when the slappers start! Although, it is hard to remain calm and gently try to steer into the slide, gut reaction is to turn the wheel as fast as you can.. I learnt that one quickly, about a week after I passed my test in 1985 and bought myself a Fiat 132 2.0 twin cam :)

Mike

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Chris_D wrote:have to concur with mike and dh. too early on the power in the bend then you were probably straight off the gas, inducing a bit of a tank-slapper. coupled with the road looking a bit greasy and ur tyres were prob cold ur always gonna lose traction, even at relatively low speeds.
Have to concur with the above. Great advice. :thumbsup:
E86 2007 Monaco Blue Metallic 3.0 Si SE with Beige Heated Leather

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:50 pm

nasty :( Glad you and the car are ok. The road does look a little greasy/wet, just shows you have to respect the power.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Without knowing how heavy you out your foot down as you lost control it's hard to have a valid opinion. For me though looking at the video you lost traction far to easy!

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Not sure about your choice of music :cry: The car infront of you was from what I can see following the dry part of the road and not keeping close to the left side. As you were taking the junction you had now placed yourself to the left of the car directly ahead which was now picking up a bit of speed. As an experienced driver you would have been looking to keep up with the car infront so you could overtake after the slip road. You had no chance to overtake on the slip road so putting down power at that stage would be a mistake. As you were now close to the kerb the nearside wheels would now be on either wet/ icy or diesel covered while the off side were on dry tarmac. If you have ever driven on diesel, especially on a bike, you can experience a sudden loss of traction. Next time you are at a garage in the dry look at the nearest roundabout. On a dry day you will see a wet patch of diesel where it has spilled out the overfilled tank of some vehicle. It is just like an ice rink and catches out many people especially those with RWD. I suspect if you go back to the slip road you will find not too far away there will be a garage from where a diesel vehicle had been over filled. If it was icy the car would have warned you that the temperature was under 3 degrees. That is assuming you could hear the warning chime over the music !

Pastry

Post by Pastry » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:26 pm

I think the car was trying to spit the music out :o
991 Carrera 2S
Now gone:
2008 Z4MR Midnight Blue Metallic
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Ruby Black
2006 Z4 3.0si sport Titanium Silver
2010 Z4 23i Msport and a 3.0i

99ron

Post by 99ron » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:30 pm

On the power too early. You were still turning into that corner on damp, cold tarmac when jumping on the power. Quite torquey those new turbo fours aren't they? Given the date and time on the camera I'd guess the outside temp was below zero and performance tyre grip tends to drop off below 7C. Still luckily no real harm done.
Z4MR E85 for sunny day Hooning. 8)
Now with added joy of Gruppe M.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Its very easy to do this, done it myself in an MR2 and spun the car right around. From what I can see from the vid you pumped or blipped the throttle right on the bends apex in other words at the exactly the wrong time, it only has to be damp and depending on what tyres you have on especially if summers, pressures, tread remaining and low temps its so easy to become a cropper. One of the reasons why I garage the M140i during the winter, I would only use it at this time of year if I had full winters on. Its just a case of keeping it smooth with no sudden acceleration on anything remotely bendy unless your skillful at power sliding the car and recovering.

Wouldn't worry about and put it down to bad luck :)

Tim.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:37 pm

That was music?

But seriously, RWD and the engine in the back can be fun but when it goes it's trickier to recover.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Oops :(
As others have mentioned, did you turn off the traction control?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold