Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

10 years of iPhone

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of iPhone

Post by tomscott » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 pm

http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/09/ste ... ago-today/

Believe it or not today is the 10 year anniversary of the iPhone.

I remember going out and buying one at the start of my second year at Uni and selling it 2-3 months later because there was no app store and you couldn't actually do anything with it...

I bought a Nokia N95 black edition (what a plonker)! Although a phone and iPod in one device was amazing! But I didn't like the touch screen that much and it was about £800 and I made a nice profit selling it. As soon as the app store was announced I got a 3G and never looked back.

Ive had pretty much every iteration of the iPhone and my favourite so far is probably the 4S at the time the 4 was slow but had the retina screen. When the 4s came out it blew the 4 out of the water especially with the newly announced IOS 5 brought along imessages, icloud and notifications loads of cool features that made the phone imo.

From then on many of the updates have felt very flat the 6 was a great phone but nothing really different. The 7 IMO is probably the worst update so far apart from the dual camera which you can only get on the Plus... As a bloke you need a man purse to carry these things around and you wouldn't seem me dead with one.

I think the reason the 7 wasn't much of a heavy hitter (usually the 4, 5, 6 bought the features the S brought speed and bug fixes) is the fact iPhone 8 will be a 'special' 10 year edition which hopefully kick starts the want for iPhones which has slowly being eroded by their own marketing tactics.

Anyway I'm on a 128gb 6s and absolutely love it. I wouldn't be and probably couldn't be without it now.

:thumbsup:

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of iPhone

Post by flimper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Maybe they will sort the camera out on the 8 :evil:

Can't film from the car properly with the 6S, the 4S was fine, should never have changed
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise

Bing
Legend
Legend

10 years of iPhone

Post by Bing » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks Tom. Now I feel ancient :oldman:
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

pvr
Legend
Legend

10 years of iPhone

Post by pvr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Bing wrote:Thanks Tom. Now I feel ancient :oldman:
At least you feel now as you look :P
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of iPhone

Post by metal licker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:47 pm

pvr wrote:
:chairfight: :D
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Sky-drive

10 years of iPhone

Post by Sky-drive » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Had an iPhone 4 and then a 4S which was great but just got slower and slower with age.

Switched to a Samsung Galaxy Edge but awful phone, the rounded edge was part of the touch-screen and geared up for right handed people not those who are afflicted with being left-handed like me.

Currently on an iPhone 5S, brilliant phone, great size as its not the size of a tablet, only let down by battery performance.
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

pvr
Legend
Legend

10 years of iPhone

Post by pvr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Since IOS 10, my iphone 6 unlock is terrible. It takes up to 30 seconds to unlock the phone. But sometimes (1 in 10), it is immediate.

Worked perfect in IOS9, stopped working in 10.0, was fixed in 10.1, broke again in 10.2 and I just did another phone restore and lost some important apps (VPN key software, really, really annoying as I have to create SecurID stuff again).

It makes me want to replace the phone with a 7 as I can not work with the unlock speed of up to 30 seconds.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

10 years of iPhone

Post by mr wilks » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Always be a split decision as to love V hate , , i had a 4s & 5s then i switched to Samsung Galaxy J5 2016 last summer ( yea i know its not the highest model )
Prime reason for ditching the Apple was pi55poor battery life if you want to actually use the phone & can't continually charge them :cry:
Anyhow i couldn't be happier with the Samsung & wouldn't go back to Apple but then i probably don't need the full range of facility's that Apple products offer :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Bing
Legend
Legend

10 years of iPhone

Post by Bing » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:57 pm

pvr wrote:
And i am not as old as you, which is also a bonus :P
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

pvr
Legend
Legend

10 years of iPhone

Post by pvr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm

mr wilks wrote:Always be a split decision as to love V hate , , i had a 4s & 5s then i switched to Samsung Galaxy J5 2016 last summer ( yea i know its not the highest model )
Prime reason for ditching the Apple was pi55poor battery life if you want to actually use the phone & can't continually charge them :cry:
Anyhow i couldn't be happier with the Samsung & wouldn't go back to Apple but then i probably don't need the full range of facility's that Apple products offer :?
That is the problem, I have too many (depending) Apple devices, and if I was to get an Android, it would "break" my integrations of data syncs. Getting messages on your Mac (as well as your phone) and being able to respond there instead of your phone, is great. The iDrive setup of synching data makes it difficult.

I had the discussion with my parents yesterday, they have iPhone and iPads and their phones needed replacing - going cheap would mean that pictures they receive on their iPhone via watsapp care no longer available on their iPad where they view them now. That would be a major drawback for them.
Current:
Abarth 595 Comp.
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of iPhone

Post by Marlon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:05 pm

10 years - hells bells!
I’ve somehow avoided iPhones altogether. The Missus is a big fan; she’s a MAC/ipad person so an iPhone is a no-brainer. She’s has the same as you Tom: the 6s 128gb and loves it.
I’m on a lowly Samsung Galaxy Ace4 – looking to upgrade to get a bigger screen now I’m messing about on Instagram :oops:
Last edited by Marlon on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of iPhone

Post by tomscott » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm

TBH PVR the iPhone 6 wasn't that great in IOS9 I remember using it and thinking this is really slow and most of the time didn't respond until the second go.

The newer touch system in the 6s and the 7 is like lightening its too fast. I have only got my thumbs enabled because sometime I just want to see the notification and regardless how little of your finger you use it jumps in instantly which is really annoying!!!! So now I can check using any of my other fingers.

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of iPhone

Post by tomscott » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Marlon wrote:10 years - hells bells!
I’ve somehow avoided iPhones all together. The Missus is a big fan; she’s a MAC/ipad person so an iPhone is a no-brainer. She’s has the same as you Tom: the 6s 128gb and loves it.
I’m on a lowly Samsung Galaxy Ace4 – looking to upgrade to get a bigger screen now I’m messing about on Instagram :oops:
I do like the content you put up on insta marlon! :thumbsup:

Great stuff keep it up :)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of iPhone

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Sky-drive wrote:
Switched to a Samsung Galaxy Edge but awful phone, the rounded edge was part of the touch-screen and geared up for right handed people not those who are afflicted with being left-handed like me.

Currently on an iPhone 5S, brilliant phone, great size as its not the size of a tablet, only let down by battery performance.
You did know you can change it for lefties like it's you know? Lol.

Personally I've never been a fan of the iPhone, or ipad although I do like the mac..

Do love my android phones, currently on an S7 edge, prev had the S6, S5, S4, S3, S2 and before that the HTC Desire.

I loved the Nokia N95, it was, IMO a game changer in its day!

Upgraded 2 of the kids phones at the weekend, son went for an s7 and daughter decided to break the mould and be the first in the household to get an iPhone. She got the 6s.. I've already taken the pee out of the fact she's had to charge it four times composted to my s7 edge :D

One thing I do love is being able to get a day and a half on one charge.

Mike
Last edited by Ducklakeview on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

10 years of iPhone

Post by Marlon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm

tomscott wrote:
Marlon wrote:10 years - hells bells!
I’ve somehow avoided iPhones all together. The Missus is a big fan; she’s a MAC/ipad person so an iPhone is a no-brainer. She’s has the same as you Tom: the 6s 128gb and loves it.
I do like the content you put up on insta marlon! :thumbsup:

Great stuff keep it up :)
Cheers Tom :)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S