Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Theresa May's Brexit Speech

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:04 pm

sticky wrote:And after we get the EU off our backs bring back hanging,
... for anyone driving a car with less than 300bhp. :poke:
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:07 pm

Buckz wrote:she seems to have this idea that EU will just bend over and accept what ever UK wants. Sadly the reality is that UK will need to be the flexible one to get anything decent out o the EU.

She has a decent idea going but doubt she will achieve half of what she said.
I think if you looked at the wording, the current Government realise that they have little or no chance of free trade across Europe without the other three - people, services and capital, it has been and always will be people that is the sticking point in any negotiations. The best we can hope for is a free trade agreement similar to Canada, and you can bet Germany, France and Italy will want something similar as they are all large exporters to the UK, the problem lies with the smaller states who have nothing to lose by saying no.

Whatever happens we will be paying more for the stuff we need and want, this is the price of our collective xenophobia perpetuated by the press
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Post by sticky » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Zed Five wrote:
... for anyone driving a car with less than 300bhp. :poke:
OK OK, I"ll make the next an M. :thumbsup:

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 pm

sars wrote: Whatever happens we will be paying more for the stuff we need and want, this is the price of our collective xenophobia perpetuated by the press
I'll bite - anyone who voted Yes to Brexit is a xenophobe who can only possibly be being influenced by the press, rather than their own mind?
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

alane29

Post by alane29 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:28 pm

good idea im up for that :poke:
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:20 pm

jimmybell wrote:
sars wrote: Whatever happens we will be paying more for the stuff we need and want, this is the price of our collective xenophobia perpetuated by the press
I'll bite - anyone who voted Yes to Brexit is a xenophobe who can only possibly be being influenced by the press, rather than their own mind?
I don't see that voting for Brexit automatically makes you a xenophobe, however

If you think that the majority of migrants are here just so that the state can give them money, yeah that hat fits :poke:

If you believe that as a country we need an influx of migrants and that only a small proportion want to sponge of society, then no you're not
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:14 pm

jimmybell wrote:
I would say anybody who voted stay doesn't really want democracy or understand what democracy is.

MattHall91

Post by MattHall91 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Every view on this wider topic I've seen since last June is based on which would leave the UK better off economically, amongst myriad other aspects obviously.

While arguably not the main factor, how about people consider the principal of getting out of what is a broken and horribly corrupt organisation that serves to benefit the execs at the top? Clearly, every individual country has issues and corruption, but regardless of the economic outcome, I would have still voted out if the only benefit whatsoever was to leave those dictating ***** behind.
Now: Diseasal company cars (for now)
Gone: Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Montego Blue

MattHall91

Post by MattHall91 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Zeld4 wrote:
jimmybell wrote:
I would say anybody who voted stay doesn't really want democracy or understand what democracy is.
This ^
Now: Diseasal company cars (for now)
Gone: Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Montego Blue

Post by sticky » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:41 pm

sars wrote:
Buckz wrote:she seems to have this idea that EU will just bend over and accept what ever UK wants. Sadly the reality is that UK will need to be the flexible one to get anything decent out o the EU.

She has a decent idea going but doubt she will achieve half of what she said.
I think if you looked at the wording, the current Government realise that they have little or no chance of free trade across Europe without the other three - people, services and capital, it has been and always will be people that is the sticking point in any negotiations. The best we can hope for is a free trade agreement similar to Canada, and you can bet Germany, France and Italy will want something similar as they are all large exporters to the UK, the problem lies with the smaller states who have nothing to lose by saying no.

Whatever happens we will be paying more for the stuff we need and want, this is the price of our collective xenophobia perpetuated by the press
Actually Norway and Switzerland function and trade within the EU alongside the NAFTA and Canadian trade deals which is pretty much how it will be for the UK after Brexit. Xenophobia aside it"s a better deal overall compared to being in a "bundle" deal with the EU.
The press on the other hand perpetuate in the direction of which ever party they support regardless of what"s really happening and in light of the "latest" revelations reality seems to have gone astray but for journalists that"s nothing new.
The EU is the proverbial Albatross hanging around the neck of Europe that should be a well functioning organisation,

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Well...

The first reply was about the speech, as well as the OP's post. That's 2.

New forum record?
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

jimmybell

Post by jimmybell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Response to the stay vs leave debate that has ensued - i think if you can't see or accept the other sides POV then you're missing something. Its a huge debate that affects many people in many different ways, and there are tonnes of reasons why you might fall on either side.

Immigration wasn't really something in my reasoning behind my vote choice, personally. I'm pro immigration - though not having control of it without battling for agreement amongst member states doesn't make much sense as they themselves all have different reasons to be for/against any changes.
MrPT wrote:Well...

The first reply was about the speech, as well as the OP's post. That's 2.

New forum record?
:rofl: :thumbsup:

I was reading she was expected to be pretty good at getting the speech right in terms of delivery. It'd be nice if the opposition were providing constructive criticism rather than generic 'everything word she says is exactly the wrong thing she could of said because im the opposition and my role is to disagree regardless' (paraphrasing Tim Farron there, who knows what Corbyn thought - did he even respond?)
V12 Vantage S - Hammerhead Silver, Manual, Lightweight Wheels, Exterior Carbon++, Carbon Buckets, AMR Performance Pack.
M135i LCI - ZF8, White, HK Audio, Adaptive
--
GONE Z4 M Coupe, Imola, CSLs
GONE C63 AMG, Black, Performance Pack+, LSD, HK

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:48 pm

I guess my main feeling after the speech was actually being pretty happy that the discussion is going to move on a little bit now. We didn't learn very much but the were a few definitive things in there, which means that the job of working out how the fk it's all going to happen can at least take a small step forward. And there's less of a feeling, for now, of chaos behind closed doors in Westminster (although I bet that's still the general vibe!).

She's delivered some pretty canned stuff so far in her stint as PM. This one at least felt like there were a few more of her actual thoughts in it.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone