Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gentlemens Agreement

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:36 pm

I was washing the Z3 late yesterday when this young chap suddently appeared as I had me head under the bonnet and had heard the car was up for sale, well strictly speaking its been sold but it won't be going until March sometime. I've taken no deposit on the car from the prospective purchaser but we did handshake on it which for me is a kind of gentlemens agreement that the deal is done. Anyways this chap yesterday was really keen on the car, had a sit in it and said he wanted it and asked how much I was selling it for. He said he had the cash there and and then and would buy it now. I could see he was really keen on the Zed and that he wanted it and was asking loads of questions on the car. His face painted a picture of disapointment when I kept saying its sold and that I'd handshook on it which for me the deal is done. I said to the chap if the sale falls through I would let him know but I felt pretty bad as he walked slowly away as he was so keen. I'm unsure he understood when I said I had a gentlements agreement on the car and why I didn't accept his money there and then.

Anyone had anything similar?

Tim.

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by Marlon » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Must feel good to have a cash offer there and then, but you are doing the right thing honouring the handshake. No deposit though - I think I would have wanted cash to reserve it as well as a hand shake - tell the buyer the situation and that you need a deposit.
Last edited by Marlon on Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by paddy wright » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:43 pm

I'd contact the buyer and tell them you want to settle now or you will sell to the new person. As you have no deposit he has no duty to honour the deal and you may end up with no sale.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Ask the first buyer for a deposit as the sale is a month away and you have other offers. If he's genuine handshake or not it should not be an issue. If he doesn't pay then move on having explained the position to him

All to easy to get to March and have no sale
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Havard

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Tim, you did the right thing in my book. I sold my Supra over a period of months to a guy who had promised to take it. We did this in private as I didn't want to be put in a position with someone flashing their cash in front of me. I am a man of my word but temptation is the enemy, especially where money is concerned.

I lost out on a very rare car years ago. There were two of us after it but the other guy was struggling to raise finance on £18K. I offered £17K for a deal now as I had the cash in an ISA. The guy was emmigrating in 4 days time and I agreed to collect the car the following day. Had an hour or so on the phone and the guy seemed genuine and also a man of his word.

Following morning I was walking into the bank to withdraw the £17K when the guy rings me to say that the other guy has got finance and offerered £18K. I said that he had agreed a deal and I had already withdrawn the cash. He reckoned his wife wasn't happy at missing out on a grand and had told him to accept the higher offer.... :x

Thankfully, I hadn't removed the money as I wouldn't have been able to put it back due to limits on paying in, so I would have lost all the interest aswell as losing the car.

It's 50 / 50 if you get someone honourable in these scenarios.

H.
ImageImage

stevo///m3

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by stevo///m3 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:03 pm

I agree with most above, Tim. Sticking to your word is honourable and to be commended but unless your deal was with someone you know very well, you probably could and maybe should have added conditions - deposit or subject to intervening offers or something similar. I'd be a little wary nonetheless of a cash-in-my-pocket and I'll buy now buyer - I think I'd want to see the cash cleared in my account before handing over the keys just in case.
Stevo
SOLD - '07 MCoupe-Sapphire Metallic-Imola leather-piano black
Previous: E36 Evo Vert
Current: ocean-going G31 estate
Insta: stevothecrab

WLH
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by WLH » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:04 pm

The gentlemen's agreement and a handshake does not carry the same weight that is did say 30 or 40 years ago. The gentlemen's agreement relies upon the honor of the parties and honor seems to be in short supply these days.
2007 ///M Roadster - My Zed's - Member ZSCCA - ///M Registry - My Videos

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Marlon wrote:Must feel good to have a cash offer there and then, but you are doing the right thing honouring the handshake. No deposit though - I think I would have wanted cash to reserve it as well as a hand shake - tell the buyer the situation and that you need a deposit.

Marlon's right :thumbsup:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks for the replies, the person who is buying the Zed is the salesman whom I'm dealing with on my new motor so in regular contact. He's buying it for his wife and did want it when I ordered the new car at Christmas but I wanted to hang onto the Zed to use it through winter which the salesman agreed too. Agree on the temptation when someone turns up on your doorstep offering cash but felt very much it would be doing the dirty on the other person even though no deposit has been paid. I guess it's not as if the salesman is going to disappear unless he leaves the dealership.

I'm probably a little old fashioned rather than taking the money there and then.

Tim.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:38 pm

If he's a salesman he knows only too well that asking for a deposit is normal. He doesn't consider a car sold without deposit

Clearly you have doubts or you wouldn't have posted this thread
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by john-e89 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:52 pm

He's a salesman? What's good for the goose Tim... :rtfm:

Good on you for honouring an agreement though. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Silverzedtom

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Echoing what has already been said I would call back and ask the guy for a deposit. If he wants the car he will have no problem finding a small lump of cash. I gave the previous owner of my car £500 to hold it for a week, as I knew if I didn't the car would disappear. I'm surprised the salesman didn't want to leave some sort of deposit.

Nice to see there are some genuine people about such as yourself, I think a lot would have sold there and then.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by firebobby » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:31 pm

To be honest Tim, if I view a car to buy and really want it, I would insist on leaving a deposit and also if selling a car. I write out how much it's sold for, how much deposit and remaining sum, dates and both sign 2 pieces of paper.
Just one thing though Tim, if you had sold the car, how did chummy with the cash happen upon you ??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:44 pm

firebobby wrote:To be honest Tim, if I view a car to buy and really want it, I would insist on leaving a deposit and also if selling a car. I write out how much it's sold for, how much deposit and remaining sum, dates and both sign 2 pieces of paper.
Just one thing though Tim, if you had sold the car, how did chummy with the cash happen upon you ??
I asked the chappie yesterday how on earth he knew I was selling the car and he said he was the son inlaw of a neighbour a few doors away who had heard from another neighbour next door, how word gets around :lol:

To be honest I hadn't really made any plans as yet to sell the Z3 so was taken completely by surprise when I mentioned it in passing when ordering the new car, the salesman just said I'll have it for the wife as he'd been looking for an MX5, he didn't even test drive it or anything so we agreed a price and shook on it. To be honest The deposit doesn't bother me in the least as I'm not desperate to sell the Z3, if the guy has the car then a bonus as it saves me advertising it etc.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:51 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:If he's a salesman he knows only too well that asking for a deposit is normal. He doesn't consider a car sold without deposit

Clearly you have doubts or you wouldn't have posted this thread
Think you might have misunderstood me :) reason I posted was about the guy offering to buy the car yesterday and offering cash even though I had a verbal agreement/handshake with someone else but no holding deposit and the temptation to have sold it there and then.

Weirdly I never even considered a deposit when we agreed the sale, I was probably a little too trusting but then I'm dealing with the person on my new motor :lol:

I'm sure all will be fine. A little part of me is hoping the sale falls through so I have yet another excuse to keep the Z3 :oops:

Tim.