Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gentlemens Agreement

Discuss anything non Z4 related here

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by sticky » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Honourable car salesman, !!!!!!!!! that"s a new one. Beware when you get to the day of the deal. Phone him now and tell him the situation, he might have changed his mind anyway

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by firebobby » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:08 pm

TitanTim wrote: A little part of me is hoping the sale falls through so I have yet another excuse to keep the Z3 :oops:
Tim.
If you feel like that That Tim, you should try and keep it. It's your pride and joy after all :)
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:12 pm

TitanTim wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:If he's a salesman he knows only too well that asking for a deposit is normal. He doesn't consider a car sold without deposit

Clearly you have doubts or you wouldn't have posted this thread
Think you might have misunderstood me :) reason I posted was about the guy offering to buy the car yesterday and offering cash even though I had a verbal agreement/handshake with someone else but no holding deposit and the temptation to have sold it there and then.

Weirdly I never even considered a deposit when we agreed the sale, I was probably a little too trusting but then I'm dealing with the person on my new motor :lol:

I'm sure all will be fine. A little part of me is hoping the sale falls through so I have yet another excuse to keep the Z3 :oops:

Tim.
I understand - no rush to sell, no real desire, then it doesn't matter. I think it's when you need the sale to fund a purchase etc that the stakes rise
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:16 pm

firebobby wrote:
TitanTim wrote: A little part of me is hoping the sale falls through so I have yet another excuse to keep the Z3 :oops:
Tim.
If you feel like that That Tim, you should try and keep it. It's your pride and joy after all :)
Been going round and round the past 2 years trying to come to a decision :oops: but made my decision which I'm trying to stick too :?

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:21 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
TitanTim wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:If he's a salesman he knows only too well that asking for a deposit is normal. He doesn't consider a car sold without deposit

Clearly you have doubts or you wouldn't have posted this thread
Think you might have misunderstood me :) reason I posted was about the guy offering to buy the car yesterday and offering cash even though I had a verbal agreement/handshake with someone else but no holding deposit and the temptation to have sold it there and then.

Weirdly I never even considered a deposit when we agreed the sale, I was probably a little too trusting but then I'm dealing with the person on my new motor :lol:

I'm sure all will be fine. A little part of me is hoping the sale falls through so I have yet another excuse to keep the Z3 :oops:

Tim.
I understand - no rush to sell, no real desire, then it doesn't matter. I think it's when you need the sale to fund a purchase etc that the stakes rise
I think thats why I didn't really ask for a deposit, if the motor was alot higher in value it would have been slightly different.

I find selling motors privately one of the worst things.

Tim.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by firebobby » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:26 pm

TitanTim wrote:
firebobby wrote:
Tim.
Been going round and round the past 2 years trying to come to a decision :oops: but made my decision which I'm trying to stick too :?

Tim.
Don't do it, you will always regret it Tim, listen to the voice in your heart :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

shawna

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by shawna » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:39 pm

99% if you called him and told him you have someone waiting with cash he would have said go ahead and give it to him.

Hedge your bets now.....

S

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:45 pm

firebobby wrote:
TitanTim wrote:
firebobby wrote:

Tim.
Don't do it, you will always regret it Tim, listen to the voice in your heart :thumbsup:
I will certainly regret it but look at it from the point of view it will hopefully go to someone who will use it than it just sitting around, I just can't justify 3 cars so it will be sitting around most of the year if I kept it. I want to concentrate on the M140i instead over the next few years, swap the alloys out for Performance 19s and fit the M Performance Exhaust etc and get it how I would like it :) I've not actually driven it much since August as its stored for winter :roll:

Tim.

Kingfisher

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by Kingfisher » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:06 pm

A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on! ... :D

(Quiz ... that was a quote ... who said it originally?)
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by Smartbear » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:15 pm

It's a lovely motor Tim, I'd be really inclined to hold onto it :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by sticky » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:17 pm

Kingfisher wrote:A verbal agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on! ... :D

(Quiz ... that was a quote ... who said it originally?)
Groucho Marx

maxman

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by maxman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:39 pm

It would be nice if it was going to some one who gives it the tlc you do,If it goes to his wife,which is a big if,I have know doubt how it will be treated as cheap summer runaround with little or no TLC.It would break your heart to see it if it ends up like that. :cry:
Last edited by maxman on Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by MACK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Without wishing to sound insulting any Z3 (unless its an M) can't be worth a great deal and even a new set of wheels and performance exhaust for the M140i wouldn't make the loss feel any better. You'll no doubt regret parting with it and as for what you will get for it, it will make you feel worse instead of better.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Jollyjoiner

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by Jollyjoiner » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:01 pm

A car is never sold until the money is in the hand.

Get in touch with the first guy and tell him the situation then see what he says because there is always the chance you can lose both buyers.
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Gentlemens Agreement

Post by Nanu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:20 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:Ask the first buyer for a deposit as the sale is a month away and you have other offers. If he's genuine handshake or not it should not be an issue. If he doesn't pay then move on having explained the position to him

All to easy to get to March and have no sale
Yep I would go with that advice ASAP
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White