Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pre "05" Diesels - £10 Daily Taxation in London

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:58 am

Time to get rid of the old oil burners.

"Britain has been in breach of EU nitrogen dioxide (NO2) limits since 2010, with London exceeding its annual air pollution limit for the whole of 2017 during the first five days of January." :cry:

http://news.sky.com/story/europes-final ... n-10769007
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:51 am

With hindsight basing RFL on CO2 emissions looks a but mis-guided, when the real issues seem to be NOX and particulates!

I always thought the CO2 taxation regime was more about revenue generation than saving the planet. :evil:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:00 am

Mr Tidy wrote:With hindsight basing RFL on CO2 emissions looks a but mis-guided, when the real issues seem to be NOX and particulates!

I always thought the CO2 taxation regime was more about revenue generation than saving the planet. :evil:
It's more 2 faced.
CO2 is a greenhouse gas, technically not an air pollutant.
NOx and PM are air pollutants

The strange thing is that diesels score better on low co2 emissions and petrol cars score better on NOx/PM.
So what is more important: clean air or less global warming, thats the choice they have to make :lol: . It doesnt seem to go hand in hand unless you drive electric and the electricity production is also green.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:03 am

GuidoK wrote: It doesnt seem to go hand in hand unless you drive electric and the electricity production is also green.
Which of course it generally isn't! :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:56 am

^true, the total enviromental footprint (incl transportation, fabrication but also infrastructure for supplying the fuel etc) is very difficult to calculate for an electric car. I mean for instance if everybody starts to charge their cars at their driveway, the total amount or copper in the ground has to be doubled or tripled to carry that energy.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:09 am

I think anyone with half a brain would have known diesels are extremely polluting. Interesting how NOX has now come to the fore and as I've noted many times NOX values are shown on our V5 documents. It was always only going to be a matter of time before these were used as a taxation method. Got to say I would find it hard to give up on diesel given the 50 plus mpg that's easily achieved and the bucket loads of torque. Whether DPF is the way to go is debatable and frankly I do not like standing behind either of our two DPF'd vehicles. Also makes you wonder whether again the new VED taxation rules are simply about cash generation and nothing to do with saving the planet.

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:13 pm

Our 4x4 is a 2005 3.0 derv which tows the caravan with ease and is brilliant in the snow. I will be keeping it for as long as I can, it Just passed the MOT with no advisories, so staying around for now. I have no intention of taking it to London, but I see the Mayor is looking to bring the congestion charge out to the North circular, how will that affect places like the Ace cafe where loads of so called unpopular vehicles go ??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jimbo1958 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Just read that this is coming into force on October 23rd so £21.50 to travel into the congestion charge area. Ouch!!!
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving: