Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Future of Diesel

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
gov

Future of Diesel

Post by gov » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:58 am

As mentioned my new DD is a Diesel - first diesel I have owned in 50 years of driving ! Well impressed with the torque and how quiet the engine is compared with bygone days :D Annoying that just having bought it war seems to be being declared on all diesel drivers - scaremongering stories about doubling the RFL and hiking in duty for diesel at the pumps :( Ironic that this emanates from EU Directives relating to pollution issues - we are being constantly reminded that we are leaving the EU so why are we kowtowing to their tune when it is broadly accepted that modern diesel engines are so much cleaner - my new car has RFL at £110 which , if I am reading the new rules coming in to effect from April will remain unchanged but no guarantee that duty will remain as is- more the opposite :(

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Future of Diesel

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:55 pm

I think the problem with diesels is petrol engines engines are slowly catching up in the MPG stakes so question why you need a diesel in the first place these days. I was watching a youtube vid of the the new Fiesta ST with 200bhp from a 1.5 3cyl and uses 2 cyls when cruising for economy, amazing how manufacturers are producing high output small capacity engines and whilst being economical. I've had two 1 Series diesels in the past and like yourself enjoyed the torque but little else to be honest, used to hate getting diesel on the hands when filling up.

Tim.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Future of Diesel

Post by jabber » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:12 pm

My 2 series is 2 years old now and happy with it but have been thinking of changing it for a petrol version incase the cost of running a diesel suddenly become more expensive following the recent comments
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Future of Diesel

Post by original guvnor » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:16 pm

The problem with diesels is that even the "clean"' ones that pass the EU tests are dirty, toxic, polluting things emittings massively more NOX in real world driving than the "official" figures, cheat device fitted or not. It's high time they were taxed appropriately.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Future of Diesel

Post by ben g » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:21 pm

I've been working on a production line producing diesel engines for 10 years now and in that time, technology has changed massively. The next gen engines will be ridiculously clean, from what I'm led to believe.

The problem is, a short while ago the government were backing diesel over petrol, causing production problems for petrol engine plants. Now, they've changed their tune and the same is happening for diesel engine production.

Our figures used to be 2400 engines produced per 24 hours. It's now at 1800.

It will end up causing massive job losses for the industry.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

dhobbs

Future of Diesel

Post by dhobbs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 pm

What makes me laugh/cross is that the government promoted diesels with lower tax due to the low CO2, now they have gone and done a 180 realising it's not just CO2 but other more dangerous pollutants.

My last 3 cars were diesels but now with DPFs and their recharge cycle interrupting your driving I have gone wholeheartedly back to petrols.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Future of Diesel

Post by pvr » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:26 pm

And the regeneration only works at 2000 rpm when you drive for more than 20 minutes I think, meaning that I have to drive 88 mph to achieve that :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Future of Diesel

Post by TitanTim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:34 pm

The DPF failed on my 1st 1 Series and replaced under warranty, I think the filter unit was around 600 quid :o My second 1er was OK but it was something that played on my mind a fair bit to ensure I did runs to get the fiter to regenerate and burn the deposits off, the car ran rough when it did the cycle, all a PITA to be honest so went back to good old petrol.

Tim.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Future of Diesel

Post by dr_john » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:38 pm

I opted for petrol when I ordered my new 420 last week, mainly due to that fact that my low annual mileage doesn't really make diesel cost effective for me and also these looming emissions taxes are likely.

My wife is thinking about changing her Audi TT diesel and it looks like petrol will be the obvious choice.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

dhobbs

Future of Diesel

Post by dhobbs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:24 pm

I had the swirl valves replaced on my last car thankfully under warranty, but DPF/DMF/swirl valves all can go on diesels and none are cheap. Petrols sound much better which is another good reason to ditch diesels.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

LordOxygen

Future of Diesel

Post by LordOxygen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:37 pm

My daily drive is a diesel it manages 50+ mpg with an auto box on the motorway. My 2 DDs before that with similar performace and power were petrol they both averaged 35mpg on the motorway. As much as I dislike the fuel, the narrow power band and the noise, while im commuting 20k a year (80% motorway) they'd have to tax it a lot more to make me swap back to petrol. I dont drive it in town at the weekend, when diesel makes no sense, we have a petrol Micra for that.

maxman

Future of Diesel

Post by maxman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:25 pm

gov wrote:As mentioned my new DD is a Diesel - first diesel I have owned in 50 years of driving ! Well impressed with the torque and how quiet the engine is compared with bygone days :D Annoying that just having bought it war seems to be being declared on all diesel drivers - scaremongering stories about doubling the RFL and hiking in duty for diesel at the pumps :( Ironic that this emanates from EU Directives relating to pollution issues - we are being constantly reminded that we are leaving the EU so why are we kowtowing to their tune when it is broadly accepted that modern diesel engines are so much cleaner - my new car has RFL at £110 which , if I am reading the new rules coming in to effect from April will remain unchanged but no guarantee that duty will remain as is- more the opposite :(
I'm like you and have just bought my first diesel in 51 years of driving.I think it's the older ones who chuck out all sorts will be on the hit list to be taken off the road.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Future of Diesel

Post by firebobby » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Well I run a 2005 Nissan 4x4 and it can be run on diesel or veg oil, not getting rid of it anytime soon. Fook EU directives :thumbsdown:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Kingfisher

Future of Diesel

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:12 pm

I think all the hype and propaganda is simply leading up to an extra 10p a litre on diesel ... :x
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Future of Diesel

Post by jabber » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:25 pm

Kingfisher wrote:I think all the hype and propaganda is simply leading up to an extra 10p a litre on diesel ... :x
Agreed also wonder how long the ved on my 220d will £30 :x
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg