Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smartwatch owners

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Smartwatch owners

Post by DPG » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Any smartwatch owners on here?

I've held off buying one as I wanted to see what the latest Tag Connected (released today) was like.

Looks an awesome piece of kit but I can't justify spending £1400 on a gadget that might be out of date in 12 months.

So it looks like I'll be looking at a series 2 Apple Watch for daily work wear.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Smartwatch owners

Post by Chris_D » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Havent worn a watch for years.
Not denying smartwatches relative usefulness and i toyed with the idea of getting a fitness band but realised after doing ton of research that narrowing down the only really practical feature i needed was a decent heartrate monitor for biking and rowing.
However, the wrist-based heart monitors are all optical tech, measuring bloodflow and are very inaccurate. So i bought a Polar chest strap which measures electrical pulses from the heart, much more accurate and links to my Wahoo app via bluetooth. So i need to take the phone with me when i go biking. No biggy but at least i can do all that i can do with a smartwatch and more and with greater accuracy for the most important aspect.
From a recent 45km ride:
Photo 14-03-2017 22 22 26.png
Photo 14-03-2017 22 22 26.png (102.86 KiB) Viewed 918 times
I suppose if u want to check mail from ur wrist or look like Knightrider by speaking to ur watch then €1500 for an apple smartwatch 2 is entirely justifiable. Orses fer courses init :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

-Tom-

Smartwatch owners

Post by -Tom- » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:38 pm

I've had the original Apple Watch for a while now, it really is a gadget that I don't "need"; but I do love it. I mainly wear it for the gym for the heart rate / calories malarkey and steps , whilst using it to change tracks on my Spotify as I'm too lazy to pick my phone off the floor whilst there! That said, changing the music around the house from it is pretty useful, as is the remote camera / view function to link with an iPhone.

The more I think about it , i sound like a proper fan boy. Ha! But really , when I'm not wearing it I miss the push notifications too. The Apple 2 with gps and water resistance has to top it off really, although it is bulkier. I've got the sport strap ... way better if you want to do , well sport in it. My mate had the more expensive metal strap and stainless steel (I think) case and it definitely feels really premium.

When it's the weekend and I have to set the time on my TAG and wind it ... I do wonder what I'm doing. Ridiculous really :rofl:

I was watching the tag promo video for the connected today too ... looks gorgeous but it's a big premium. I guess however if you look at it as some jewellery ... which with that case and those straps then it is stunning.
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Cookie

Smartwatch owners

Post by Cookie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 pm

As per Tom. I to have an original Apple Watch. I didn't think I would get the full benefit of one. My son persuaded my wife to get me one for a special milestone birthday. I must admit that it is hardly off my wrist. I now use many of the apps on a regular basis and it does make me track my steps and my daily target and drives me on for more to beat my previous result. So that can't be bad I suppose.
CookieP

un1eash

Smartwatch owners

Post by un1eash » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:24 pm

I've got a Huawei W1 only because it came free with a P9 phone contract. I don't think I'd buy one myself though, one thing that bugs me with the W1 is it can't be used to track exercise sessions without a phone.
The huawei W2 is much better as it has 4G, GPS, NFC and Wear 2.0 OS which is still to be rolled out to the last gen smart watches.

warmasice

Smartwatch owners

Post by warmasice » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:29 pm

After some research, I got myself a Samsung Gear S3 smart watch a few weeks ago. Happy with it so far.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Smartwatch owners

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:31 am

Another true lover of the Apple Watch. Had it 2 years and never had another watch on since.
Real useful stuff like trackers, heart rate, debit card, SMS and appointments
Classy watch with Milanese loop and other straps such as fitness and a leather one
Practical stuff like loyalty cards and most boarding passes, decline calls discreetly in meetings,
Separation from phone while in Bluetooth range is great
Lots that I don't need but are fun

I guess each to their own but I cannot imagine going back to phone only
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Smartwatch owners

Post by tomscott » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:45 am

Fitbit surge user here for the last 2 years. Does 90% of the iWatch for less than 50%.

Great watch and really accurate. Warn it half way round the world in some really inhospitable climates with no problems. Also like to do things like total warrior nd last year waded through a few rivers with it on. No problems at all :thumbsup:

The app is also really good lots of info and most importantly also has a GPS so great for tracking your rides runs etc

Matt64

Smartwatch owners

Post by Matt64 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:38 am

Samsung gear 2 classic. Had it about 2 years now. I like the rotating bezel for changing widgets & settings. It's fairly easy to use and has some good functions but as said before, I definitely don't 'need' it, but I like having it.
2004 Merlot 3.0i SE. Pretty sure I'd rather drive it than polish it.
1993 Mk1 Mx5 S-LTD Home brew turbo conversion. :fuelfire:

jimbo1958
Lifer
Lifer

Smartwatch owners

Post by jimbo1958 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:50 am

Matt64 wrote:Samsung gear 2 classic. Had it about 2 years now. I like the rotating bezel for changing widgets & settings. It's fairly easy to use and has some good functions but as said before, I definitely don't 'need' it, but I like having it.
+1 Bought this when I got my S7 Edge. Not normally a watch wearer but use this if going out. Great range of watch faces/apps. :thumbsup:
Z4 e85 3.0 - GONE
Z4 e89 35i - GONE
Jaguar F Type V6s Roadster :driving:
Abarth 695 Rivale :driving:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Smartwatch owners

Post by TitanTim » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:52 am

I've got the latest Huawei which I've had around 6 months and what a waste of 270 quid, I think the novelty wore off after 2 days of changing the watch face for the hell of it. It has to charged up every day if worn and find I have too much if a life to plug all these things in every day.

Tim.

TonyP

Smartwatch owners

Post by TonyP » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:07 am

My wife took me to the Apple store whilst out recently with the intention of buying me an AW2 as a surprise for our Anniversary,

I had a 10 min demo from the Apple sales guy & despite quite wanting one I walked out empty, why?, because I'm a bit of a watch-a-holic & felt if I had a smartwatch that I'd never wear any of my nice watches again.

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Smartwatch owners

Post by DPG » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 pm

That's my worry too, but I suppose I could use the Apple Watch for work then the others for weekend / best.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Smartwatch owners

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:24 pm

DPG wrote:That's my worry too, but I suppose I could use the Apple Watch for work then the others for weekend / best.
It says a lot about a product when you and others are worried that the watch is so good you won't wear anything else.
It's true and I don't.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Smartwatch owners

Post by DPG » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:10 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:
DPG wrote:That's my worry too, but I suppose I could use the Apple Watch for work then the others for weekend / best.
It says a lot about a product when you and others are worried that the watch is so good you won't wear anything else.
It's true and I don't.
Very true Phil.