Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

help with design of car port

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
gov

Post by gov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:00 pm

My z has now gone - felt a bit sick when it was driven off but time to move on - one of the reasons I sold the car was to reclaim the garage space - after 9 years I have the space back - so much easier to use as a workshop etc and Mrs Gov can now move all her potted plants in and sit in comfort whilst re-potting :cry: Fortunately our drive is big enough for 3 cars without using the garage - I already have withdrawal symptoms about not having a "toy" but I don't want to get back to how it was before - was thinking of just extending the single garage in to a double but that means planning permission etc and around £20k - alternatively I'm thinking of a car port ( lean to ) at the side of the existing garage where our old camper used to stand - do I need planning permission to do this and anyone think of a design that will at least make it blend in with the rest of the house ? Any IT wizards on here that can superimpose a structure on the pics below .

I am thinking of may be an Elise or E89 30i or 35is as my next toy - prices seemed to have dropped so that an early one can be had for sub £15k ( at least on the Beamers ) whatever it will have to be red :D Mrs Gov will probably kill me as she doesn't understand my love of cars :cry:

Here is pics of the house and the space where the car port will go.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi Gov, how about a cart lodge built onto the side? Better looking than a lean to & maybe cheaper than a brick built garage extension?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/oak-garage
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:21 pm

Do you have any regulations on how close to the boundary line (hedge) that you can build? You might find there's a minimum distance (e.g. 50cm/1mtr etc) that you can build to. Those pics don't look like there's much room.
Does it have to be down that gap? Could you put a car port in front of the garage instead? This is what I put up in front of my garage - love it:
It's a US based company so I'm sure there would be UK distributors. Keeps the frost/hail/snow and most of the rain off, but lets light in.
https://www.tradetested.co.nz/palram-ca ... -5000.html
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

gov

Post by gov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 pm

enzed4 wrote:Do you have any regulations on how close to the boundary line (hedge) that you can build? You might find there's a minimum distance (e.g. 50cm/1mtr etc) that you can build to. Those pics don't look like there's much room.
Does it have to be down that gap? Could you put a car port in front of the garage instead? This is what I put up in front of my garage - love it:
It's a US based company so I'm sure there would be UK distributors. Keeps the frost/hail/snow and most of the rain off, but lets light in.
https://www.tradetested.co.nz/palram-ca ... -5000.html

Pics are a bit deceptive - the boundary on the side is about another 4 ft or so in to the hedge - our house was built first - the house next door is a metre from the boundary in the middle of the hedge - yes have thought about having one in the front on the drive - do you need pp foe that ? we have quite a lot of front garden so could easily reconfigure to give more drive space.

gov

Post by gov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Smartbear wrote:Hi Gov, how about a cart lodge built onto the side? Better looking than a lean to & maybe cheaper than a brick built garage extension?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/oak-garage
Rob

Like the look of these and a fraction of the cost of a full blown garage extension - can't see getting away without pp though !

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:00 pm

Can you not extend the garage under permitted development?

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Have you already looked into the planning permission ? I would have thought you could convert that quite cheaply into a double garage under permitted development on a building notice , you've probably already done it but if not search the above on your local council website .

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:14 pm

On the timber ones iirc as long as below a certain height you don't need planing permission
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 pm

We've always had car port of some description and built the original ourselves using scaffolding poles which lasted around 20 years before the plastic roofing went brittle. We had the current one built in 2005 by a local window company and kept the original support poles and had it built into the roof facia with a lead box shuttering for the rain gutter. We're lucky in that we have next door to enclose it in. The polycarbonate roof panels are tinted so it stays cool in the summer and I just jetwash the roof once a year which keeps it looking good as new. We didn't need planning permission as it doesn't affect next door and doesn't project out from the front of the house but we let the local planning authority know to be on the safe side.

Imageimage post

https://ring.com/share/2386898661

Tim.

gov

Post by gov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Yes - need to take a trip down to planning office to see what I need to do - I'm favouring a single oak timber framed car port on the drive in front of the existing garage - doesn't show in the photo but there is a big hedge all along the front so any car port would not be in sight of the road - our house is one of four - the other 3 have double garages so if I just revert to extending the single in to a double the precedent has already been set - we bought the house 30 years ago - at the time it was £59k or £61k with a double garage - at the time we had to have a mortgage and just couldn't afford the extra £2k ( in hindsight of course we should have bitten the bullet )

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:49 pm

Nice house :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

gov

Post by gov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 pm

BTW Tim - did you cry when your Z3 went ? I managed just about not to :cry:

gov

Post by gov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Marlon wrote:Nice house :thumbsup:

Thanks mate - yes been very happy here - looking out on to countryside - very peaceful - no pavements ,streetlights etc have worked away for a few years (London ) and traveled daily o Winchester for 3 years but never seriously considered moving !

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:22 pm

gov wrote:BTW Tim - did you cry when your Z3 went ? I managed just about not to :cry:
Sad to see it go for sure although yesterday a friend called me up as they saw it motoring around town and thought it had been nicked :lol: I will miss the car but usually about now I tend to store it away until end of Sept so the withdrawal isn't as bad as it could have been.

Tim.

Dav the wheel nut
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Dav the wheel nut » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:29 am

I recently had a bespoke built oak carport built in front of my single garage.