Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Any home AV enthusiasts in here?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
faz_b

Post by faz_b » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:00 pm

I just put together the first part of a reasonably significant home entertainment system together, around 70% of the way through my install now. Its the first foray I have made into REAL home theatre (none of this out of the box crap) and so far so good. I went with all the following:

LG55UH8500. 55" 4K UHD LED screen with passive 3D

Denon AVR X4300H 9.2 Channel AV receiver, 4K upscaling, dolby atmos built in and Audessy EQ

Q accoustics 7000i plus 5.1 surround package (updated version of the 7000i with the 3070s subwoofer)

2 x Denon HEOS HS2 amplifiers (diddy little things! run off an app via wifi. very cool!)

4 x polk audio RC80i in ceiling speakers (2 for the master bedroom, 1 for bathroom, 1 for kitchen)

2 x KEF ventura outdoor speakers (patio firing into garden)

PS4 for blu ray and gaming

around 120meters of QED 16/2 install speaker cable, low halogen fire rated.

I've done the TV and main 5.1 install with the AVR and Q accoustics package and suffice to say, even running without Atmos (which I do plan to do in future with an extra 4 flush ceiling speakers for the living room) It is bloody mindblowing. I had a couple of friends over for drinks a month or so ago and did a quick demo running Man of Steel. The opening sequence on Krypton with Jor-el riding H'Raka in the first big battle is epic, especially when the trumpets go off. They both literally jumped out of their seats and exclaimed it was like being in a cinema! :evil: :evil:

I'm still yet to get to the install for the in ceiling units which I plan to do when I get back to UK in a couple of days (in dubai again on business at moment) so am massively looking forward to getting into that part of the install now.

Any other home AV bods? what are you running at home? anyone have any advice for installing ceiling speakers? :)
Black '07 3.0si manual / aero skirts / matt black 19" Hub alloys / black grill / ZHP / piano black trim / Red leather sport seats

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Very nice!

Ruining a 55" soon to be replaced Samsung series 7 TV at the mo, with a Denon AVR-X2200W Atmos receiver and Tannoy HTS 5.1 system and Tannoy Atmos speakers.

Another of my money pits, as the wife calls them..

Mike

faz_b

Post by faz_b » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:22 pm

I ran a series 7 samsung for a little while. Fabulous screen and pretty good value for money! the only issue I had with it was its performance in 3D. There was a whole phase for a while where 3D regained popularity for a while around 5 years ago, and as a result, I have a good amount of 3D content which I still watch (big time movie buff!) so it does mean that I am a little more restricted on screen choice.

The samsung I found on 2D content was divine. Skyfall for me has become a reference test of any screen as the movie is so well shot and the samsung delivered very well on that. I did find it struggled with 3D content though. Was a bit of a trade off in a way but I definitely enjoyed owning it. :)

I hear what you are saying about money pits though. I did a hell of a lot of research though before I went ahead with buying and managed to get a stonker of a deal.

Screen was around £900, but I got a bulk buy package for all the following:

denon AVR
2 x HEOS amps
speaker cables
Q accoustics 5.1
KEF Ventura 5 outdoor speakers (pair)

all in - £2668 from home AV direct. I didnt buy online, I went to their store in Hayes and had a chat (really nice lads). They actually made a mistake, I quoted originally on the 7000i package at £600 and they told me it was a current model even though I had heard it was going out of production, the updated version which is its replacement is actually £1000 (newer sub, upgraded housings and drive units, a complete revamp) but as it was their cock up, they honoured the original price! :)

The entire thing has worked out around £4000 which gets me 4K 3D vision, living room surround, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and outdoor multiroom audio with wifi zone control, bluetooth and all the rest of the gubbins. Pretty good value all in I think.

Which tannoy atmos speakers are you going for? :)

pic of my main set up (the small cabinet by the side of the sofa houses the AVR and both the mini amps for the multiroom part of the system:

Black '07 3.0si manual / aero skirts / matt black 19" Hub alloys / black grill / ZHP / piano black trim / Red leather sport seats

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:30 pm

110" BWUK Screen
Sony VPL-HW45es Projector
Sony STR-DN1050 Amp 6.1 setup
BK Monolith Subwoofer
Kef Centre
TDL Studio 10's
Gale 3060B Bi-Polar
Gale 20 Centre(rear)
Sky+ HD
i3 2120 mITX HTPC
Harmony One Remote
PS3/4

faz_b

Post by faz_b » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:26 am

un1eash wrote:Image

110" BWUK Screen
Sony VPL-HW45es Projector
Sony STR-DN1050 Amp 6.1 setup
BK Monolith Subwoofer
Kef Centre
TDL Studio 10's
Gale 3060B Bi-Polar
Gale 20 Centre(rear)
Sky+ HD
i3 2120 mITX HTPC
Harmony One Remote
PS3/4
Now that is clean and cool!!!

Did u do the install yourself?

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Yes everything was done by myself. The amp also feeds a tv in my master bedroom so I can have multiple video sources in there.

Hilly30si

Post by Hilly30si » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Here's mine Panny 65" Yamaha Amp Dali ikon 6s at the front then Kef 10" Sub, three cone centre with Kef 300 sides :thumbsup:
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG (59.38 KiB) Viewed 452 times
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Hilly30si wrote:Here's mine Panny 65" Yamaha Amp Dali ikon 6s at the front then Kef 10" Sub, three cone centre with Kef 300 sides :thumbsup:

IMG_0120.JPG

Very nice :) Looking to replace mine with a BIG Panny

Mike