Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

F1 - new beginning

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
brightonbimmer

F1 - new beginning

Post by brightonbimmer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:07 pm

I am anxious to see how the young Canadian does; he has been fantastic at all levels leading up to this point.
David
Current cars: 2013 Honda Civic EX (daily driver, 55,000 KM) + 2003 Mazda MX-5 SE (Titanium Grey, with 22,000 KM) + 2006 BMW M6 (Indianapolis Red Metallic, just turned 67,000 KM)
First sports car was 1963 Morgan 4/4 in 1964.Image

Hilly30si

F1 - new beginning

Post by Hilly30si » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:29 am

Vetal got the jump on Lewis on the undercut mainly because Lewis got stuck behind Verstapen. Nothing new really, losing interest in F1
My Cars

2021 X3 M Sport loaded with Tec
1974 Triumph TR6 in Mimosa Yellow
Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Sae

F1 - new beginning

Post by Sae » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Hilly30si wrote:Vetal got the jump on Lewis on the undercut mainly because Lewis got stuck behind Verstapen. Nothing new really, losing interest in F1
Havent seen the race, but is this the super condensed race summary? Nothing else worth watching for? :(
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Paulwirral

F1 - new beginning

Post by Paulwirral » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:42 pm

Sae wrote:
Hilly30si wrote:Vetal got the jump on Lewis on the undercut mainly because Lewis got stuck behind Verstapen. Nothing new really, losing interest in F1
Havent seen the race, but is this the super condensed race summary? Nothing else worth watching for? :(
I watched the highlights on c4 until vettel passed Hamilton due to pit stops then switched to the music channels and stood outside and drank cava whilst BBQing a chicken , I've had a great afternoon ! Im so pleased I didn't subscribe to the sky channel that I'd feel obliged to watch because I'd be paying for it .
When drivers ask over the radio how they are supposed to pass the guy in front I give up , they are paid a fortune to do something most blokes would do for nothing , much like footballers .

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

F1 - new beginning

Post by firebobby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Paulwirral wrote:
Sae wrote:
I watched the highlights on c4 until vettel passed Hamilton due to pit stops then switched to the music channels and stood outside and drank cava whilst BBQing a chicken , I've had a great afternoon ! Im so pleased I didn't subscribe to the sky channel that I'd feel obliged to watch because I'd be paying for it .
When drivers ask over the radio how they are supposed to pass the guy in front I give up , they are paid a fortune to do something most blokes would do for nothing , much like footballers .
Very true :rofl:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

buzyg
Legend
Legend

F1 - new beginning

Post by buzyg » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:28 pm

New owner, same old recipe. That really didn't grab my attention at all today. :tumbleweed:

Hilly30si

F1 - new beginning

Post by Hilly30si » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:56 pm

buzyg wrote:New owner, same old recipe. That really didn't grab my attention at all today. :tumbleweed:
It will go downhill even quicker now it's Yankee owned.
My Cars

Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

Sae

F1 - new beginning

Post by Sae » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Hilly30si wrote:
buzyg wrote:New owner, same old recipe. That really didn't grab my attention at all today. :tumbleweed:
It will go downhill even quicker now it's Yankee owned.
Next thing you know therell be timeouts and half time, so they get a halftime show and cheerleaders ...
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Zoomer

F1 - new beginning

Post by Zoomer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:33 pm

Only difference this year seems to be that Ferrari are quicker and have a car that can sit behind another without knackering it's tyres, which the Mercedes does it seems. Still early days I think as the Australian GP is not really a standard GP and perhaps they other teams will be be closer in China etc
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

F1 - new beginning

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:14 pm

I don't like Vettel very much, but I'm glad the Mercedes domination seems to be facing viable challengers this year. I'm looking forward to it.
We spent the weekend soaking up the sun and the atmosphere in Albert Park, so we had an amazing time. However, some of the support races had closer racing and more overtaking, so there's still improvement needed to make F1 as exciting as it used to be.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

F1 - new beginning

Post by patriot66 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Well I'm sitting here now watching the C4 highlights from Sunday. Some new names and some new liveries, one 3 - way overtake 5 laps from the end but other than that it is just the usual dull trudge. It's a shame and so sad that the supposed 'pinnacle' of motorsport has 'evolved' to become just so abysmal. Oh it's just finished....hooray ! The first F1 season I followed was 37 years ago in 1980 and I have watched almost every race since but I'm afraid there is just nothing here for me anymore. I feel totally unmoved and just don't care about it anymore. The drivers are boring, the cars look terrible , the cars sound terrible and the racing is....errr what racing ? :x Thank god for WEC, Le Mans 24hr and BTCC etc. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

Sae

F1 - new beginning

Post by Sae » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Hmm, late post.

I think the cars looks good, some serious amount of rubber on the wheels.
One thing I dont get is that its still so hard to overtake, more power (unless youve got a honda motor) better tyres and still drs and still ham cant get past max.
So its still going to be a year of processions just possibly a mix of colours at the front.
Quali was ok but its not racing.

Maybe it should be a motor lottery, think musical chairs but with engines for each race.

Also glad i didnt give sky anymore money for their sports channel.
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Hilly30si

F1 - new beginning

Post by Hilly30si » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Sae wrote:Hmm, late post.

One thing I dont get is that its still so hard to overtake,.
Melbourne is not a great track for overtaking, it's a street circuit just does not happen
My Cars

Gone but not forgotten
2008 Z4 3.0 SI Roadster

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

F1 - new beginning

Post by paddy wright » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:51 pm

enjoyed the race but would like to see more chance for overtaking develop as the season progresses. Honda are really pushing my 20+years of Mclaren love.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

F1 - new beginning

Post by original guvnor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:05 am

You can't expect something to happen overnight with F1. The new owners came onboard after the rules changes that have taken effect this season were approved. Give them a chance. They have made some encouraging moves with their new personnel (i.e. Ross Brawn).

The main issue I think is that the sport is not being run for its customer (the fan either attending or watching on TV). It isn't listening to them. Fans want the loud engines back. Nobody is listening. Fans want racing. Nobody is listening. They are paying lip service. The engine suppliers have become over dominant and now effectively own four teams and 8 cars on the grid (McLaren is heavily reliant on the $100m a year Honda is paying them). They also supply these very expensive engines to all of the other teams. So they have one aim in mind and that is a tech fest to showcase their product with the aim of selling more road cars. That is totally at odds with what the fan wants. Half of these manufacturers are signed up in some way to Formula E too. As soon as it suits them these major road car manufacturers will drop F1 and jump ship. Remember a few years back when F1 engines were made by Lola, Dallara, Ilmor, Cosworth etc. None of them had any real interest in road cars. They built race cars and engines. Another example is aero - it's gone too far because it is preventing racing. What's the point of having a 200mph procession when you could have a 180mph race? That seems lost on F1.

I think F1 needs to take the medicine now for the longer term good of the sport. If Mercedes take their ball home so be it. Cheerio. Close the door on your way out.