Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery Charging

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Battery Charging

Post by TitanTim » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi all,

Spent this morning trying to hook up a ctek charger to my i10s battery but unsure if its successful or not, I meant to take a photo but didn't think at the time :oops: On BMWs its so easy as they convieniently provide +/- charging points unter the bonnet.

On the i10 the battery terminals are not the easiest to get the crocodile clips to bite onto them so I've connected the negative clip onto the earth connector bracket which is subequently connected to the terminal. The positive terminal is slightly worse but just managed to get the clip to bite onto the terminal connector that goes onto the battery pole.

Poor sample pic below. I wanted to avoid disconnecting the battery altogether.

Imageimage upload without registration

I'm using a CT-MXS5.0 CTEK MXS5.0 Charger and the status lights are lit, 4 out of the 8 so guessing its charging ok, if it wasn't am I correct in thinking the status lights will remain unlit?

Thanks,

Tim.
Last edited by TitanTim on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Battery Charging

Post by Nictrix » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Cant help with the battery connections but why do you need to charge it? Have you not just bought this?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Battery Charging

Post by TitanTim » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Nictrix wrote:Cant help with the battery connections but why do you need to charge it? Have you not just bought this?
I have yes but it won't be used for the next 3 weeks so just want to ensure the battery is kept topped up, always do it when the car is laid up, even for just for a few days if garaged.

Tim.

GreyZed

Battery Charging

Post by GreyZed » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Isn't internal battery design changing due to stop/start technology and hybrids (calcium/AGM glass mat)? Maybe there could be some issues with charger and battery compatibility if it's not a conventional lead acid type?
3.0 auto, sterling grey, hardtop, prfessional nav, dsp, digital tv, bluetooth, cruise, xenons, mfsw, cupholders, auto lights, auto wipers, folding mirrors, memory seats, wind deflector, pdc, 108s, LED sides/fogs, stubby, intravee, need a quad exhaust!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Battery Charging

Post by TitanTim » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:21 pm

GreyZed wrote:Isn't internal battery design changing due to stop/start technology and hybrids (calcium/AGM glass mat)? Maybe there could be some issues with charger and battery compatibility if it's not a conventional lead acid type?
The ctek charger I'm using can be used for AGM batteries which my M140 has but the i10 has a standard battery and doesn't have start start. You can toggle on the charger and set it for the battery type AGM, standard, motorcycle etc.

I'm just a little unsure if the charger leads have to be connected directly to the battery posts or if OK connected to the battery cable clamps.

Tim.

NickDE

Battery Charging

Post by NickDE » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:43 pm

TitanTim wrote:
I'm just a little unsure if the charger leads have to be connected directly to the battery posts or if OK connected to the battery cable clamps.

Tim.
It should be fine. CTEKs will charge via the ciggy lighter which is remote from the battery. As long as the CTEK cycles though the appropriate lights all is good.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Battery Charging

Post by TitanTim » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:40 pm

NickDE wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Tim.
It should be fine. CTEKs will charge via the ciggy lighter which is remote from the battery. As long as the CTEK cycles though the appropriate lights all is good.
Thanks Nick, I used to charge the Z3 through the ciggy lighter but most modern cars tend not to have live Auxs any more once the ignition is off so I don't think you can charge via them unless permanently live. I guess its a safety issue to children sticking fingers into a live 12v socket. On the i10 I was just a bit worried if not connecting directly onto the battery poles I might end up frying the electrics. I think the ctek chargers protect against this though and only use a low voltage.

Tim..

brightonbimmer

Battery Charging

Post by brightonbimmer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 pm

I was fortunate that a prior owner had installed a cable for a battery tender, from the firewall to the lower grille, terminated with a connector which mates to battery tenders/chargers (two pin) It is a very professional installation, and I had assumed that it was perhaps a factory option until I found out otherwise. I am just about to end my second winter of storage in the next ten days. Last year, the car started instantly after being untouched from Dec.01 to April 01, and I expect and hope that the same will occur this year. It is not a C-Tech unit but apparently an equivalent.
Current cars: 2013 Honda Civic EX (daily driver, 55,000 KM) + 2003 Mazda MX-5 SE (Titanium Grey, with 22,000 KM) + 2006 BMW M6 (Indianapolis Red Metallic, just turned 67,000 KM)
First sports car was 1963 Morgan 4/4 in 1964.Image