Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash Cam - What do you do with yours!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:06 am

Hi all,

Installed a new dash cam yesterday but as both the Hyundai i10 and the 1 Series have rather largish central screen sensors, one has the radar for lane assist and the other has the rain sensor for the wipers
I’ve mounted the cam underneath the sensor on the i10 which means its lower down the screen. I’ve fitted a Transcend cam which has a glossy finish, I had a much smaller mini803 fitted before which was far less intrusive. Anyways parked the i10 up at work this morning which is a multistorey covered by CCTV but noticed the cam sticks out like a sore thumb in the screen, it’s very noticeable so got paranoid and removed it thinking it might attract attention.

What do other peeps do? Do you remove yours each time or just leave it in situ and hope no-one takes a fancy to it. I’ve set the cam to parking mode which is obviously useless if removed all the time.

Starting to think I should have gone for something a lot smaller :(

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:08 am

Mine are 0805 / 0806 units, fit and forget (until it beeps as the memory card needs formatting every few months for some reason).

Invisible really as it is behind the rearview mirror but that does not help you.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

chapeau

Post by chapeau » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:03 pm

Not sure exactly how the sensors work on your screen but i have a sticky plastic disc stuck over the dotted bit of the screen around the rear view mirror on our x3 with the nextbase 212 fitted to it. This means its high enough up behind the mirror to be left there permanently. I also covered all the silver bits of the cam with black tape so its less visible. It may work or may not in your situation?
One of these:
http://www.halfords.com/technology/sat- ... nting-disc
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:49 pm

pvr wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:08 am Mine are 0805 / 0806 units, fit and forget (until it beeps as the memory card needs formatting every few months for some reason).

Invisible really as it is behind the rearview mirror but that does not help you.
Thanks pvr, I had the 0803 but it started playing up and freezing and running very hot so decided to replace it, starting to think maybe I should have gone for the newer one :(

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:57 pm

chapeau wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:03 pm Not sure exactly how the sensors work on your screen but i have a sticky plastic disc stuck over the dotted bit of the screen around the rear view mirror on our x3 with the nextbase 212 fitted to it. This means its high enough up behind the mirror to be left there permanently. I also covered all the silver bits of the cam with black tape so its less visible. It may work or may not in your situation?
One of these:
http://www.halfords.com/technology/sat- ... nting-disc
On the i10 it has a housed lens centrally at the top of the screen which I think is for the lane departure and anti collision warning which is surrounded by a fair bit of the dotted tint stuff which drops down the centre of the screen around the sensor housing. I did try and mount it to the side of the rear view mirror but it was a bit too low and was picking up the dotted screen tint in the cams field of view as it has quite a wide angle lens. I've got a spare mount so will try again, otherwise I might think of changing the cam. On the 1 Series its just got the rain sensor which isn't so large compared to the i10.

I'm using a adhesive mount rather than suction as the mounts tend to be smaller.

Tim.

Twin Turbo

Post by Twin Turbo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:09 pm

I really rate my Thinkware F750 has speed camera, collision warning and lane departure - and it is quite discreet.

And Video quantity as quite good as well.

My only gripe with it is saves videos in in 30 Sec segments