Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Could be the perfect hi-res BT DAP I've been waiting for...

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:16 am

Some of you may know that I'm a bit of an audiophile. Translate that as being single/no kids and a questionable sense of priority affords me the relative luxury of having far too much disposable income, of which I often and dubiously elect to waste on hifi, speakers, headphones and associated gubbins! :roll:

However, one of life's small enjoyments comes when I get to play Pink Floyd's 'Live at Pompeii' in the zed, top down on a warm starry night when travelling home from the beach. Those of you old enough may find it easy to empathise with this. :D

Suffice to say, it's also an almost obligatory requirement to have something decent to play back said masterpiece on and to that end I've been through many DAP's so far. The latest in the collection, the Opus1 has now been superceded by the eye-wateringly expensive and creatively titled new model, the Opus2 which now comes with wifi and bluetooth4 aptx HD. But at €1600 I decided that even I have to set an upper purchase limit on this crap sometimes!

So, along came the 3rd GEN Fiio X5 and what a veritable beast of a DAP it is too! Ticks all the boxes and has everything I've wanted in a perfect DAP - dual DAC's, a decent amp stage, wifi/bt aptx hd, great screen, good looks/build-quality, Android 5.1 OS, good battery life. The only minor negative is that it will only decode DSD's up to 128bit albeit at a top-spec sample rate of 32/384. So thumbs up all round. Oh, and the price €450. Much more agreeable. Ka-ching!

http://headfonics.com/2017/03/the-x5-3rd-gen-by-fiio/

Watch this space for a full review as used in the zed....
dappy.jpg
dappy.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 893 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi Chris,

I've been thinking of getting one of these paired with their amp, I nearly went for the X7 but apparently this model sounds better. How are you finding the software as I've heard its been beset with bugs and lagging, I did find a review on youtube where the screen was freezing and lagging when scrolling through files. I'm still sitting on the fence as I'm going to be changing my phone soon and can't decide to have separates :roll:

Tim.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:49 pm

TitanTim wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 pm Hi Chris,

I've been thinking of getting one of these paired with their amp, I nearly went for the X7 but apparently this model sounds better. How are you finding the software as I've heard its been beset with bugs and lagging, I did find a review on youtube where the screen was freezing and lagging when scrolling through files. I'm still sitting on the fence as I'm going to be changing my phone soon and can't decide to have separates :roll:

Tim.
I haven't bought it yet Tim. Still shopping around for the best deal although it looks like I'll be buying from hdphns.com as I've bought from them before and they seem to do good prices.
However, as with all the best laid plans, I noticed that hdphns.com have the iBasso DX200 for sale now and I'm quite tempted to change course and steer the good ship Waste'o'money towards that one! lol. it's more than twice the price of the X5iii though. hmmmm
I had an iBasso DX90 and it sounded insane but had a clunky OS. The DX100 had a very good reputation so I'm going to research this one now...
The Opus1 sounds lush but it doesnt do BT streaming.

Fiio products are v good quality IMO and I have the E17 DAC and E90K amp combo as a desktop headphone doobry. The X7 I thought was a bit OTT with the separate amp modules that bolt on the bottom, etf is all that about? bonkers.

Will update the post as and when....

shawna

Post by shawna » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm

So, excuse me, this replaces the iPod/iPhone?

Is it the latest walkman?

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Tim.
I haven't bought it yet Tim. Still shopping around for the best deal although it looks like I'll be buying from hdphns.com as I've bought from them before and they seem to do good prices.
However, as with all the best laid plans, I noticed that hdphns.com have the iBasso DX200 for sale now and I'm quite tempted to change course and steer the good ship Waste'o'money towards that one! lol. it's more than twice the price of the X5iii though. hmmmm
I had an iBasso DX90 and it sounded insane but had a clunky OS. The DX100 had a very good reputation so I'm going to research this one now...

Fiio products are v good quality IMO and I have the E17 DAC and E90K amp combo as a desktop headphone doobry. The X7 I thought was a bit OTT with the separate amp modules that bolt on the bottom, etf is all that about? bonkers.

It would be good if you could listen to the X5 and the iBasso side by side but might be tricky as there are not many UK stockists. I really like the Fiio as within my price band but just being put off from what I've seen on the forums with the software bugs which I imagine will be fixed if not already with an update.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:42 pm

shawna wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm So, excuse me, this replaces the iPod/iPhone?

The DAP is a pure music player like the ipod/Sony Walkman, quality is generally better than what a phone can produce, just depends if you want that quality over a phone I guess.

Tim.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:02 pm

TitanTim wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 pm
Chris_D wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Tim.

It would be good if you could listen to the X5 and the iBasso side by side but might be tricky as there are not many UK stockists. I really like the Fiio as within my price band but just being put off from what I've seen on the forums with the software bugs which I imagine will be fixed if not already with an update.

Tim.
...and this is where good old youtewb comes in handy:

This dude seems to favour the Fiio over the iBasso for SQ and I'd be tempted to agree with him without even listening to them.
The SQ's critical delivery comes from the DAC implementation and how sound is delivered through the whole file>DAC>amp path and afaik the sabre DAC's are trickier than ESS DAC's to implement.
He also reckons they compare sizewise. I dunno if his eyes are wonky as that iBasso is massive compared to the Fiio.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:07 pm

shawna wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm So, excuse me, this replaces the iPod/iPhone?

DAP = Digital Audio PLayer

It's a Walkman 'eqquivalent' you could say as Sony have there own proprietary DAP's available.
They play digital music files held on SD cards or internal memory and they can usually play your bog standard 320kbps MP3 files right up to the highest quality 32bit/512Hz DSD files.

I've had a few players over the years with the latest being an Opus1 player. The iBasso and the Fiio players referred to here are a significant step towards a nice quality-to-reasonable price ratio.

Good reading here:
http://www.head-fi.org/
https://music-sanctuary.com/products/ibasso-dx200

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:46 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:16 am
However, one of life's small enjoyments comes when I get to play Pink Floyd's 'Live at Pompeii' in the zed, top down on a warm starry night when travelling home from the beach. Those of you old enough may find it easy to empathise with this. :D
Much as I love the sound of the S54B32 and hate gadgets, you got me there lar. One of life's joys for sure. 8) :D :thumbsup:

shawna

Post by shawna » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Chris_D wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:07 pm

It's a Walkman 'eqquivalent' you could say as Sony have there own proprietary DAP's available.
They play digital music files held on SD cards or internal memory and they can usually play your bog standard 320kbps MP3 files right up to the highest quality 32bit/512Hz DSD files.

I've had a few players over the years with the latest being an Opus1 player. The iBasso and the Fiio players referred to here are a significant step towards a nice quality-to-reasonable price ratio.

Good reading here:
Fantastic will add it to my shopping list though i find the iphone to be an allrounder and will be difficult to oust.

What are the best headphones to have (i have in ear Sennheiser's) but considering cans too. Something that wont break the bank as well in case i lose them.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:36 pm

shawna wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:15 pm
Chris_D wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Good reading here:
Fantastic will add it to my shopping list though i find the iphone to be an allrounder and will be difficult to oust.

What are the best headphones to have (i have in ear Sennheiser's) but considering cans too. Something that wont break the bank as well in case i lose them.
Oh god, now ur gonna get me started on headphones. Ur gonna regret askin now, lol!
Well, depends on budget ofc. Generally the more you pay the higher the quality. Although there are some 'high end' phones which sound utterly crap imo.

I've pared back my collection to just 3 sets i use regularly now:

AudioTechnica ATH-M50s - use almost everyday as an allround headphone. Unbelievable SQ for the money-about €150. Classed as a studio monitor and used by lots of top class dj's too. Been upgraded to m50x but still use the same drivers.
Audio_Technica_ATH_M50S_LE_ATH_M50s_LE_Professional_Closed_Back_Studio_843302.jpg
Audio_Technica_ATH_M50S_LE_ATH_M50s_LE_Professional_Closed_Back_Studio_843302.jpg (75.76 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Sennheiser HD650- an audiophile favourite. Bit more expensive but worth it if paired with top class ss or tube headphone amp.
910Hd-OCl4L._SL1500_.jpg
910Hd-OCl4L._SL1500_.jpg (74.52 KiB) Viewed 737 times
Audeze LCD2- a bit of an extravagent purchase made on a whim but no regrets. The sq is like nothing else and the sheer clarity when listening to hi-res flac or dsd files is insane. During quiet passages in symphonies you can actually sense the atmosphere. It's uncanny.
ADZ_Stage3_Product_Shots_LCD-2_0_1.jpg
ADZ_Stage3_Product_Shots_LCD-2_0_1.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 737 times
I'd suggest auditioning some ath-m50x's first, taking your own music and source/player if possible.
Keep us posted what u end up with....
:thumbsup:

edit: added pics. cos I'm ace like that :lol:

shawna

Post by shawna » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 am

Fantastic recommendations. Better than most magazines!!
Will get the MX-50s first - so this bluetooth fad like the beats or whatever is all crap?
I tried some beats at a store (€250!!!!??) and they did sound head and shoulders above the others i tried maybe due to their db rating so they were louder?

S

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 am

shawna wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 am Fantastic recommendations. Better than most magazines!!
Will get the MX-50s first - so this bluetooth fad like the beats or whatever is all crap?
I tried some beats at a store (€250!!!!??) and they did sound head and shoulders above the others i tried maybe due to their db rating so they were louder?

S
You were probably most likely overwhelmed by the bass.
beats phones are renowned for being the most bass-heavy phones on the planet.
You will be very pleased with the Audio Technicas because while they have plenty of bass they also have mids and highs ability too.
I'll be dropping a few quid on my second pair soon in grey.
the revision M50x has a choice of interchangeable cables, which is handy
BT headphones used to be crap. but with the advent of aptx HD streaming the SQ is back on par, tho still not as good as a conventional cabled pair ofc but you'd be hard-presed to notice the difference in a blind test. pro's and con's.
:thumbsup:
capture_4.jpg
capture_4.jpg (30.07 KiB) Viewed 719 times