Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hardtail Mountain Bike for around £500

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Anyone got a recommendation?

I've not ridden for 10 years but fancy getting back into it now that there are plenty of off road tracks near me.

I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm not sure how my knees will handle it so I've set myself a budget of £500 (£600 to include misc gear).

At the moment I'm looking at a Trek Marlin 7 but I've read reviews they are quite heavy.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Good luck with that Dan :D i fooled myself back onto a Cannondale hardtail 3yrs back after 10 yrs out of the saddle but at the age of 46 it was on Gumtree within 6 weeks :oops: still have a emergency GT in Normandy but that hasn't moved for over 5 years :cry:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:53 pm

:rofl:

I like wasting money so I imagine I'll do the same.

d3matt

Post by d3matt » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Have a look at Boardman bikes. They get some slating from brand snobs, but they are very good bikes with much higher spec components on them than other big brands - making them far better value for money. If they weren't sold through Halfords, they would have a much better name.
You'll find Boardman bikes often win the bike reviews in the magazines.

I've got a Boardman mountain bike which was £850 at the time, but normally £1000. The fork & SRAM gearset cost as much as the bike alone!!

I've also been looking at the bikes in our local Decathlon store recently. I was gobsmacked how cheap they are.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-359112-mountain-bikes
I brought a bike for my daughter for only £130. Thought it'll be cheap Chinese rubbish, but it was so much cheaper than Halfords kids bikes and they were really cheap and nasty. The Decathlon bike is actually very good.
I might by my partner a road bike from Decathlon soon. As afterall, it will hardly get used! :D