Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

General Election In June

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
buzyg
Legend
Legend

General Election In June

Post by buzyg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Well I sure didn't see that one coming. Mrs May a woman who knows her mind for certain, has called a snap General Election for June. Watch this space. Just when you thought we were in for a quiet lead up to summer. :o

Spikey

General Election In June

Post by Spikey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 pm

What kind of choice is it when there is no choice :?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

General Election In June

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:52 pm

I think she's bottled it after invoking article 50, good on her for getting the ball rolling, but I think she has literally cr@pped herself at the implications.

We'll be fine, we always are, and I honestly think we will come out of it stronger and better as a country.

I voted to leave if that's not obvious BTW..

Mike

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

General Election In June

Post by Grumpyowl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Conservatives

The Prime Minister has just announced that a General Election will be held on 8 June - and that we will shortly take the necessary steps in Parliament to ensure that this can happen.

We need this election now to secure the strong and stable leadership the country needs to see us through Brexit and beyond.
Every vote cast for Theresa May and the Conservatives will strengthen Britain’s hand in the Brexit negotiations.
We will stick to our Plan for a Stronger Britain and take the right long-term decisions for a more secure future.
The choice is between strong and stable leadership in the national interest with Theresa May and the Conservatives – or weak and unstable coalition government led by Jeremy Corbyn.
We need an election because:

It will strengthen the Prime Minister’s negotiating hand in Europe. Division in Westminster, and the Government’s small majority, risks weakening your Government’s hand in its negotiations with Europe.

It is the only way to ensure we have strong leadership, certainty and stability. An election now will give the country stability and certainty for a full five years, not just up to the point at which we leave the European Union but beyond it too.

And we do need an election now:

We have a one-off chance to hold an election while the European Union agrees its negotiating position and before the detailed talks begin. This decision cannot be delayed and needs to happen now. That is the only way to end the uncertainty the other parties are causing.

If we don’t have an election, we will have uncertainty and instability. The negotiations will reach their most difficult stage in the run-up to the next scheduled General Election. Division in Westminster will risk our ability to make a success of Brexit and cause uncertainty and instability.

We have the right plan for negotiating with Europe. The Government will negotiate a deep and special partnership between a strong and successful European Union and a United Kingdom that is free to chart its own way in the world. That means we will regain control of our own money, our own laws, and our own borders – and we will be free to strike trade deals with old friends and new partners all around the world. The result will be a more secure future for our country and a better deal for you.

But our plan is opposed by the other parties. The country is coming together, but Westminster is still divided. In recent weeks, Labour have threatened to vote against the final agreement we reach with the European Union. The Liberal Democrats have said they want to “grind” the business of government “to a standstill”. The Scottish National Party say they will vote against the legislation that formally repeals Britain’s membership of the European Union. And unelected members of the House of Lords have vowed to fight us every step of the way. All the other parties are doing is playing political games and causing uncertainty about the future.

We will stick to our Plan for a Stronger Britain. Only Theresa May has the plan and the proven leadership to deliver the right deal for Britain abroad and a better deal for ordinary, working people here at home.

We will stick to our Plan for a Stronger Britain and:

Establish Britain as the strongest country in Europe, in economic growth and national security. We will negotiate a deep and special partnership with our European neighbours. We will strike export deals for British goods and services. And we will lead the world in preventing terrorism and fighting modern slavery.

Build a stronger economy that rewards people who work hard and creates secure and well-paid jobs. We will make sure there is growth and prosperity around the whole country.

Provide real opportunity for all. We will give everyone a chance to get on in life, by building enough affordable housing and making sure there is a good school place for every child.

Build a more secure and united nation by taking action against the extremists who try to divide our society and standing up to the separatists who want to break up our country.
But we will also take the right long-term decisions for a more secure future. We will build on the good work we have done and stick to our Plan for a Stronger Britain. But, from the productivity of our economy to the need for a world-class system of social care, we will tackle head-on the long-term challenges we face as a country.

Theresa May is a strong leader who puts the national interest first and gets things done. When she became Prime Minister after the referendum, the priority was to provide economic certainty, a clear vision and strong leadership – and that’s what she delivered. She has also delivered on the mandate from the referendum, and begun the process through which Britain will leave the EU. Now she needs your support to lead Britain through the next five years and give the country the certainty and stability we all need.

You can only get the strong leadership the country needs by voting for Theresa May and your local Conservative candidate. A vote for any other party risks Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister, propped up in coalition by Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP, and the Liberal Democrats who just want to re-open the divisions of the referendum.

The choice facing the country at this election is all about leadership. The choice in this election is strong and stable leadership in the national interest with Theresa May and the Conservatives – or weak and unstable coalition government, led by Jeremy Corbyn.

Patrick McLoughlin
Chairman of the Conservative Party

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

General Election In June

Post by metal licker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Sick of hearing about politics and politicians they're all self serving t**ts :thumbsdown:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

buzyg
Legend
Legend

General Election In June

Post by buzyg » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:59 pm

She has had to suffer the back stabbing caused in no short part, by being an un-elected PM, since Mr no balls stepped down. This will either give her the mandate to continue the process, kicked of by the leave vote, or Corbyn will resign and Labour will win a the world will end. :cry:

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

General Election In June

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:02 pm

metal licker wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 pm Sick of hearing about politics and politicians they're all self serving t**ts :thumbsdown:
+1 all out to line their OWN pockets. BUT, we are stuck with them, in some for at least for the foreseeable..

Mike

ranski
Lifer
Lifer

General Election In June

Post by ranski » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Chairman May

Z4 3.0 / Mods done... too many to mention

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

General Election In June

Post by TitanTim » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 pm

I would laugh to Kindom Come if Labour got in then wipe the smile off my face once North Korea point their missiles at us :?

Tim.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

General Election In June

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 pm

I can see the logic in doing it now given how far ahead the Conservatives are in the polls, but have never been too comfortable with Theresa May getting the leadership role given that she wanted to stay in Europe.

My main concern is how the Remoaners will vote. :roll:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Finisterre

General Election In June

Post by Finisterre » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 pm

I like politics and we need much better opposition. With a bit of luck this will remove Corbyn. Even though i like many of his policies he is too wishy-washy for me.

Good news really.
E85 2.0. + E39 530i touring.

Finisterre

General Election In June

Post by Finisterre » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:54 pm

Grumpy . Patrick McLoughlan is my MP. There is no give in the bloke. I've written to him a few times. I'd be pleased to see him take a less aggressive line on pretty much everything. Though he is good at getting BT to stop putting bloody posts up in the middle of your garden.

slick

General Election In June

Post by slick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Corbyn is to politics what Jack the Ripper was to care in the community :|
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i

Finisterre

General Election In June

Post by Finisterre » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:11 pm

Slick
Have you ever tried placing yourself on the politicalcompass.com ?
give it a go. It requires some thought but is revealing.

Corbyn is kind of boring middle of the road centre slightly rightish whatever the Daily Mail claims (imo)

me, i'm a libertarian lefty.
which I think is okay.

slick

General Election In June

Post by slick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:36 pm

Finisterre wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:11 pm Slick
Have you ever tried placing yourself on the politicalcompass.com ?
give it a go. It requires some thought but is revealing.

Corbyn is kind of boring middle of the road centre slightly rightish whatever the Daily Mail claims (imo)

me, i'm a libertarian lefty.
which I think is okay.
I'm a revolutionary :wink:
E85 2.5 sterling grey
E89 3.0 se
Porsche 987 Boxster 3.4S
E89 3.5i
TVR Chimerea 4 litres of rolling thunder
Corvette C6 a moment of insanity
E89 3.0i