Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Young F4 Racer loses legs after huge crash

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 pm

I don't know if anybody was watching the BTCC from Donington Park last Sunday, but in one of the support races 17 year old F4 driver Billy Monger had a huge crash resulting in the eventual amputation of both legs from below the knees. Emergency services took 90 minutes to extract him from the wreckage. One of the most shocking crashes I've seen recently. It's on YouTube. It's not gory but it will shock you. The motorsport community are rallying round with £500k already in a fund, Jenson Button contributing £15k himself.
Being a lifelong motorsport fan and regular BTCC viewer it left me feeling quite upset and distressed. I think we've maybe got a little wrapped in cotton wool in recent times and this reminds us that racing is still dangerous.
My thoughts are with him, his family and friends.
So very sad.
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Well said Mr Patriot! I had read about it and thought how tragic.
It's heartening to see how much has been raised.
2.2R Toledo Blue

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm

Caught it on the National News earlier today, I think over half a million pounds has been raised already to help out. Very sad and tragic for someone so young and brings home can still be a dangerous sport. On the bright side though it sounds like the lad is the sort of person to get passed it and already been talking of how he can race again.

Tim.

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:10 pm

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/BillyMonger23?

Hopefully the link works - Motorsport Social Media at its best today - it's going to be a long road back but considering he's already talking about hand activated clutches he looks to have a fighting spirit.

I too was saddened by this , I watched Johnny Herbert talk about his accident at Autosport International and this reminded me a lot of that but with the outcome being unfortunately worse.
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

nick_l

Post by nick_l » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:22 pm

It was horrible. Especially as it was on his on board camera live when it happened. It's amazing the support shown by the motorsport community. I believe all the touring cars are going to be displaying some kind of tribute in place of the usual Dunlop logo on number plates for the next event at Thruxton.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:18 am

Horrific - I hope he does get out again, even if he needs a car adapted for his use.

Best wishes to Billy, his family, friends and supporters. :thumbsup:

Not quite the same issues but Ian Hutchinson has proved pretty quick at the TT with modifications, so hopefully there are some opportunities out there.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Forza Billy! ... :thumbsup:
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

flimper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flimper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Always watch the BTCC and saw this live, absolutely horrible crash, one of the worst I've seen
Piano black & black extended leather. Power mirrors, tinted glass, PDC, Prof hi-fi, CD, retro-fit cruise